Sudden bad breath in 4 year old ...

_Meep_

Two girls
Reaction score
First off, I am 99% sure this has nothing to do with her teeth. I have very good oral hygiene myself - 31 years old, no cavities ever, recent dentist visit graded my gums at 0 (4 being awful and 0 being best) so I know how to clean teeth and clean both children's teeth 2-3 times a day without fail.

I am also an avid tongue cleaner. And her tongue isn't even coated at all.

But all of a sudden, her breath smells really off, and it has never smelt before. It's not horrendous or strong, or even the typical, nasty, rotten, shit-like smell (sorry) you associate with someone who has poor oral hygiene, problems with their teeth/gums or tonsil stones - it's more heavy, gassy, musty, stale, a bit sour - kind of like a burp but with something else I can't put my finger on, though I know I've smelt it before. I'd describe it as an 'ill' smell, but I'm not sure why. It just *is*.

Bit of background - she had an awful cold and cough just before Christmas, which resolved after a week or so but she is still coughing occasionally in the day and throughout the night. This breath issue has been going on about a week or so now, but it's only in the last two or three days she has started sniffing/sneezing a lot and seems a little congested though her nose isn't running like it does when she has a cold. She is also burping loads and has the most horrendously smelly gas coming out the other end since yesterday.

I'm sure it's all related, I'm just not sure what it is. I wondered about a sinus infection following the cold/cough, which I understand can cause bad breath, but I'm not sure. There's also a chance this could be coming from her stomach, and I feel that is more likely given the nature of the smell and the other gastrointestinal symptoms, but she doesn't seem poorly at all really. Just off. It is also worst in the morning and seems to improve somewhat throughout the day, especially after eating. Wtf?

She doesn't appear to have a dry mouth and I am pretty sure she hasn't put anything up her nose.

I probably need to take her to the doctor, don't I? At least, if this doesn't improve soon. I seriously hope to god it's temporary. :(

Does anyone have experience with this? Or with sinus infections, stomach problems or even asthma in their kids, and if so, what kind of smells did these produce?

I know this is a bit of a gross post, but we're all adults here so I'd love to hear from anyone with any insight. No worries about being graphic or tmi - just want to get this sorted out for my poor kid asap. :(

Last edited:
Hey! Saw this and didn't want to read and run. My son has horrendous morning breath!
However when it is at its worst, I check his tonsils. If they are huge and red ( not necessarily with pain) then I put it down to them. I used to suffer the same unyili had them out at 16. My breath was bad and I was acutely aware of it. My mum knew if I had an infection if the smell changed. So, it is likely that from the cold and bearing in mind the time of year, she just has a bug.
As they are less inclined to take tonsils out now, use them as an indicator. If they are big, red and breath smells, there is bacteria present, but if they are not ill, then just let it take its course. Better to build natural immunity.
Hope that helps x

My DDs breath changes to smell bad when she’s about to be poorly and coming down with something.

Thanks ladies. Guess I'm just freaking out because this is new and she hasn't had it before when she has been ill - not even when she was constantly ill from February to June when she started nursery last year.

I did have a look at her tonsils when this started and looked again last night ... they're not especially large and don't look infected, but there is a small white spot on one that could feasibly be a tonsil stone.

She has no symptoms of tonsillitis that I can see - I think it would be pretty obvious?! She's a little sniffly, and the cough has come back a bit but that's all. I just don't get it. Thankfully, you can't smell it unless you get really close to her, but I am still pretty upset about it. It's a little better today though, so maybe it will go away. :(

My DDs breath changes to smell bad when she’s about to be poorly and coming down with something.

Is that usually something respiratory, i.e. cold/cough or could it be anything - rash, stomach bug, etc.?

The only experience I have with this is my 4yo daughter will sometimes have bad breath in the morning. I brush her teeth twice a day and so does her dad when she's visiting. I've been using mouthwash that's alcohol-free and all natural. It seems to really help a lot. My 2yo doesn't seem to have bad breath in the morning. I have the same routine for her as well minus the mouthwash. I hope you're able to figure out what's causing it. Colds or sinus infections do seem to make it worse.

Is that usually something respiratory, i.e. cold/cough or could it be anything - rash, stomach bug, etc.?

It’s usually a cough/cold type situation but I did notice it when she was diddy and had chicken pox although that could have been a coincidence. In the morning she usually has stinky breath, not necessarily bad but just cos she’s had her mouth shut all night!

Hope you get to the bottom of it ASAP. I’m sure it’s nothing to worry about :hugs:

I would say it’s defiantly something viral.
Whenever DD1 is sick ( cold , cough ) her breathe smells kinda strange . She’s probably still fighting something off as the GP always tells us viral infections can take a few weeks to clear up fully .

If your still worried maybe a trip you the dentist / GP to check her mouth / ears over .

Thanks everyone. She has a dentist appointment booked for February (first slot they had) so I'll ask then if it's still an issue. :( I booked it initially because she's been grinding her teeth at night and I've noticed she's started to wear the points on her canines down. :cry: I've read that grinding at night can be a sign of sleep apnoea and I'm sure she's had swollen adenoids since she got what I suspected was adenoiditis during her spell of illness following her nursery start. Swollen adenoids can apparently compromise the airway during sleep. Fabulous.

I'm just a bit overall worried about mouths at the moment as the whole reason I managed to get in with the dentist myself recently was because I needed to be urgently seen for a hard lump at the back of my mouth. It literally feels like there is a piece of bone growing behind one of my tonsils. The dentist could see no sign of cancer (she was the one who told my FIL to go straight to the doctor when he went to her with a lump in his throat - he later died of throat cancer), but I was a long-time smoker before I had the kids, so you know - I'm still panicking. I have to go back in about a week and if there's no change (and there hasn't been as yet), she's going to refer me to ENT. :(

So yeah, I'm just being extra sensitive right now. Weird how we've both suddenly got problems at the same time.

Sorry for rambling on, just having a hard time talking to my family and stuff about this right now.

The only experience I have with this is my 4yo daughter will sometimes have bad breath in the morning. I brush her teeth twice a day and so does her dad when she's visiting. I've been using mouthwash that's alcohol-free and all natural. It seems to really help a lot. My 2yo doesn't seem to have bad breath in the morning. I have the same routine for her as well minus the mouthwash. I hope you're able to figure out what's causing it. Colds or sinus infections do seem to make it worse.
Which mouthwash do you use out of interest?

Just an update if anyone ever finds this - it's gone!

Usually she drinks milk with breakfast but for the past two days I tried cutting that out and she hasn't had any smell at all since. I've also been giving the insides of her cheeks a good scrub with her electric toothbrush when I do her teeth, which luckily she finds funny.

Not sure what has done the trick - she's been drinking milk for years and never had an issue before now. Similarly, I've not bothered brushing her cheeks before, so dunno if it could have been that. Just glad it's over with now as it wasn't very nice. :)

As for me, I have my follow up dentist appointment today and there has been no change (except I am now getting earache and tinnitus), so I will expect to be referred and if it's going to be a long waiting list, I'll just go private, because I really want it sorted out now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->