suddenly need to be able to express

Marythefairy

Reaction score
My LO is 19 day's old was born at 36 week's. Bf is going great but my husband has got really sick. He was admitted to hospital at the weekend and I've been managing to pop in between feeds. Things have took a turn for the worse today and now I feel like I need to be by his side

So I'm gonna try and express so someone can feed her. Cam anyone recommend which type of bottle to use and how much milk she might need at each feed? I've rang my midwife and she is trying to get hold of an electric pump for me.

You don't need a specific type of bottle since every baby prefers something different anyway. Honestly I'd get whatever is reasonably priced to tide you over, you can always look around for other options later when things are calmer.

Stick with the smallest nipple size because the milk comes out a bit faster than baby is used to.

Not sure how much you'll need. At that age my daughter was still only taking 2oz a feed but pretty regular. It can be kept in the fridge for five days though, so I'd just pump as much as you can and ask whoever is caring to only offer a few oz at a time to avoid wasting. They can always fix another bottle if baby is still hungry.

I hope your husband makes a fast recovery.

Thanks. I've found a medela teat and bottle that's brand new that came with my old pump from dd1 so that will do for today. And ive ordered new tubes and valves for my old pump so I can use that again when it arrives.

Hope your hubby recovers.
Is it possible that if you aren't able to pump enough for your LO to have whomever is watching him to bring him to the hospital so that you can BF if need be?
When your at hospital be sure to pump at the same times your LO would feed. Perhaps ask a nurse if you can store what you pump in their fridge so you can keep it.

Thanks :) ive been able to pump 2 lots of 3oz today which dd2 had this afternoon and evening. I'm now back home bf her. Thankfully dh is more stable now too :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->