• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sure Start maternity Grant & Healthy start vouchers

A

anon01

Hi i hope someone can help me although it could be a long shot..
im expecting my first baby in May, and i currently work part time, 10 hours per week, i earn £50 weekly- a little less than your standard benefits which is usually just under £55 weekly.
i have been online looking at entitlement for the Sure start maternity grant, and healthy start vouchers. Online it says you- or your partner must receive certain benefits, the only benefit i receive is Housing benefit, this benefit doesn't count. so for that reason, according to the forms online, i am not entitled to receive help via healthy start vouchers or the sure start maternity grant.
i do live with my babys father, but we are NOT a couple, we share the home, but have separate bedrooms and tenancy agreements and pay the rent 50/50. He does receive benefits as he is unable to work, but as he is not my partner and we do not have joint claims on the housing benefit, the fact he claims ESA will not help me to get the grant.

One thing i do know is you have 3 months from the day your baby is born to apply for the maternity grant, by this time i will have put in a claim for child benefit, which allows you to get this grant but the thing is i could do with this grant asap to help me with things before the baby is born.

Can anyone tell me if they have received the maternity grant or vouchers whilst on a low income and not receiving the relevant benefits? i don't see why i wouldn't be entitled if i earn the same, or a little less than someone claiming benefits

thank you in advance

Hi hun, I don't think I can help much I'm afraid. I too was on low income before maternity leave n hubby gets a normal salary.

However we can too claim after baby is born. Have you looked into child tax and working tax as you should be able to get something else too.
Well we cant even claim the child tax until after baby arrives so once he is here I have a million forms to send off the working tax/child tax. The child benifit and the sure start grant :/
Have u tried going on google and typing in benifit calculator? Fill it in as if baby has arrived and it will show you how much of each benifit you will be able to get.

Sorry but dont think you can get it early. Good luck finding out what u can claim xxx

Try turn to us- it's a charity which will help you understand your benefit entitlements. I didn't think child benefit would help you get the sure start grant as people with incomes in excess of £50,000 can still claim child benefit. If you got Child Tax Credit, that might be different - like I say Turn to Us are experts and their help is free of charge xxx

Try turn to us- it's a charity which will help you understand your benefit entitlements. I didn't think child benefit would help you get the sure start grant as people with incomes in excess of £50,000 can still claim child benefit. If you got Child Tax Credit, that might be different - like I say Turn to Us are experts and their help is free of charge xxx

i have tried turn to us, this calculator told me as it stands with me being pregnant and sharing home with friend, i am entitled to more rent from the Council than i recieve, but when i told this to them they said im entitled to the amount i receive as that is the shared rate, i wasnt going to argue my point, i figured they know best..
i could always phone the Job centre or whoever it is, and ask them what they think, i will receive child benefit and child tax credit once the baby is born, but not working tax credits as you have to work 16 hours + a week, i only work 10 receiving £50 a week, working out at about £2600 per year.
Thanks for the replies i will look about for some info and see what i can do xx

You should always argue the point! They do not know best! Good luck xx

Hi. I'm assuming from your wage that you're under 21 and on the minimum wage . Once you have the baht would you be able to claim income support?

You probably wouldn't be able to claim working tax credit yet as mainly for over 25s but again once the baby comes you may be eligible. I'd suggest contacting citizens they would be able to double check your current benefits as well as taking to you about what you would be entitled to post birth .

when i was pregnant with my 1st i worked full time and did not get any benefits i remember i had to apply for child benefit, working/child tax credits before i could apply for my sure start grant which is a pain but luckily i was able to get the main things i needed like a moses basket and pram before my daughter was born then when i got the grant was able to buy the cot and bedroom furniture - i figured that stuff could wait since it was not needed straight away so mabe you can make a list of things you will need straight away and things that you can hold out a little longer for to help spread the cost of everything or you can borrow the money then pay back when you get the grant
good luck

when i was pregnant with my 1st i worked full time and did not get any benefits i remember i had to apply for child benefit, working/child tax credits before i could apply for my sure start grant which is a pain but luckily i was able to get the main things i needed like a moses basket and pram before my daughter was born then when i got the grant was able to buy the cot and bedroom furniture - i figured that stuff could wait since it was not needed straight away so mabe you can make a list of things you will need straight away and things that you can hold out a little longer for to help spread the cost of everything or you can borrow the money then pay back when you get the grant
good luck

is it possible to get the grant after putting in a claim for CB then? i thought u would have to wait until the claim had been processed which could take a while?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->