Surgery

whatwillbex

Reaction score
Hi
Well not the most dramatic of surgerys but I'm due to have my wisdom tooth removed. I rang up today to let the hospital know that I was in the very early stages of pregnancy and was thinking they were just going to rescedual it. Instead the doctor said that should be ok. The operation will be when I am at 14 weeks and using local anaesthetic.
I'm sure it's fine and they wouldn't do it if they didn't think it was safe. I'm just a bit of a worry wart and was wondering if anyone else has had similar treatment?

Following because I may have to do the same thing! I'm having some issues with one of mine trying to come in (they are all impacted and I need them removed anyways) and causing my gum to be swollen and irritated. I'm hoping I can wait until after the baby, but it'd be nice to know that if I had to, it would be safe! :)

I had my wisdom tooth removed when I was about 35 weeks pregnant, I woke up with excruciating toothache in the night and was booked in at my dentist that morning, they took one look, guessed what tooth it was and pulled it, the root was completely bent at a right angle lol.
They just gave me an injection in the gum tho, not the normal sort I don't think because they had to pull out their medical books to see what they could use on pregnant ladies.
Just remember to swirl antibacterial mouth wash a few times a day, and no smoking or hot drinks for 24 hours after :) I had no after pain either, but maybe I was lucky lol.

Good luck I had four impacted wisdom teeth and I had them removed and they put me under for the surgery (I wasn't pregnant at the time) but I still woke up during the procedure and it was extremely excruciating! I can't even imagine doing it under local anesthaetic and without pain meds!! I'd try to hold off as long as possible but I had a bad experience, everyone's different tho. Good luck! FX

I just had a surgery to remove a lump from my left boobs. Surgery was done under local anaesthetic. I was 11wks when I did the surgery. I wanted the procedure moved until 2nd tri but the doctors didn't think it was safe to leave it that long. I still had to sign a consent form to go ahead with the surgery. The lump found could be cancerous. I was worried about baby but doctor said that was why they were going with local. Local stays in the area and not in your blood stream. I had labor and delivery check baby's heart rate before and after surgery and the heart rate dropped after surgery but it was still within range. I couldn't take any pain killers except Tylenol and Ice packs.....it's been 2wks now and baby is fine. You will be fine but you might be in pain afterwards cause they can't give you any strong pain killer unfortunately.

I just had a surgery to remove a lump from my left boobs. Surgery was done under local anaesthetic. I was 11wks when I did the surgery. I wanted the procedure moved until 2nd tri but the doctors didn't think it was safe to leave it that long. I still had to sign a consent form to go ahead with the surgery. The lump found could be cancerous. I was worried about baby but doctor said that was why they were going with local. Local stays in the area and not in your blood stream. I had labor and delivery check baby's heart rate before and after surgery and the heart rate dropped after surgery but it was still within range. I couldn't take any pain killers except Tylenol and Ice packs.....it's been 2wks now and baby is fine. You will be fine but you might be in pain afterwards cause they can't give you any strong pain killer unfortunately.

Wow, puts my tooth into perspective. I wish you a speedy recovery :flower:

I had a root canal with local anesthetic injections during my 2nd pregnancy, I double checked with my MW that it was OK and she said yes, no problem. With my 3rd I had biopsies under local and some other procedures which required IV medication, again all was fine.

After hearing what all you ladies have been through I'm feeling a lot more reassured. Thank you :thumbup:

Don't worry, you will be fine :) I've had a ton of dental work during my pregnancies. From fillings with my first and second babies, then I had a root canal done during the first trimester of my third pregnancy. Well the root canal failed and I ended up having to have the tooth pulled anyways. I had it done with the "mommy juice" that they give to numb pregnant women and honestly it wasn't bad at all. Nothing like what people say. I didn't even need the strong pain meds they prescribed me. I only needed Tylenol like the first day or two afterwards and Tylenol does absolutely nothing for my headaches so that goes to show you how little of pain you will have to tolerate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->