Surrogate offered $10,000 to terminate due to severe health issues.

How did the law decide who was legally responsible for the child? As whilst i am unsure as what the surrogate did was right or wrong. When that baby was born who had the rights to give her up for adoption. Does the surrogate have more power over the biological father? And what would have happended if the surrogate couldnt find an adoptive parent who could afford all the treatments for the baby?
I think in the uk at least the surrogate would be the legal parent at birth but not sure how it works in the us x

That might have been the reason for her moving states.

If the situation had been the other way around, with the surrogate wanting to terminate the pregnancy (for example, due to hyperemesis or her mental health) but the biological parents didn't agree, do you think the surrogate should be forced to continue with the pregnancy?

Personally I don't agree with termination under any circumstances but putting that aside, I do think that the surrogate's rights over her own body trump any contract. Termination carries long-term risks to the woman's mental and physical health, so the thought of a legal battle to try and force any woman to have an abortion is horrific in my opinion.

I don't think there should be any forcing either way but if the surrogate breaks the contract then she should face the consequences of breaking the contract (which I assume would be returning the money, seems a bit unlikely that there would be any harsher consequences)

The surrogacy money was paid in monthly installments, so the consequence of breaking the contract was that she didn't receive any more money. There would be no need for her to return the money because each payment covered a duration of pregnancy (for example, if a surrogate lost the baby she wouldn't have to return the money because she was paid for the months she was pregnant).

Losing the baby is different from purposefully breaking a contract though. I think she ought to have at least paid something back.

If the situation had been the other way around, with the surrogate wanting to terminate the pregnancy (for example, due to hyperemesis or her mental health) but the biological parents didn't agree, do you think the surrogate should be forced to continue with the pregnancy?

Personally I don't agree with termination under any circumstances but putting that aside, I do think that the surrogate's rights over her own body trump any contract. Termination carries long-term risks to the woman's mental and physical health, so the thought of a legal battle to try and force any woman to have an abortion is horrific in my opinion.

No I don't think she should be made to continue with the pregnancy. It's her body at the end of the day and the biological parents don't have any rights over her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->