Swaddling. . . .

jaybee

Mum to Tobias & Alexander
Reaction score
Just wondering if any one swaddled/ or plans to swaddle their baby for the first however long??
If so why and what will you use?

I'm thinking about trying it, because I've heard that most (but not all) babies like it for at least the first couple of weeks. Plus my mum said she did it with me and I loved it!

However, I am not sure what to use..proper swaddling blanket, or any blanket...and how do you actually wrap the baby..is there is particular way?!?!!?!

thanks

We swaddled until at 3months he decided he didn't like it anymore. We did it at night because his startle reflex would wake him whereas he sleeps face down on our chests in the day. We used a blanket at first but then bought the GroBag swaddling cloth and the Kiddopotamus ones, I know a lot of people swear by miracle blanket too.

The midwife would lay him in the centre of the blanket, with his neck level with one edge then fold one side over him with his arms by his side and tuck under him then the other side over the top and then fold the bottom under. When we did it I think we pulled the bottom up over his legs then did the sides but the special blankets have 'wings' so it's a lot essier and the kiddopotamus ones use velcro.

Thanks kitten, appreciate the reply.

does this mean that these baby grow bags are not really needed then if baby is swaddled?

do they need another blanket?

Theakston was born in summer and got lots of heat rashes so we used to swaddle over just his nappy and just left him like that. As it got colder we used a babygro underneath and they also make fleecy kiddopotamus cloths, we bought one but it didn't get cold enough before he rebelled! Never needed anything more :)

I swaddle Tristan at night for his last feeds, because he tends to get really fussy and fling his hands about, also it indicates his last feed b4 bed- he seems to sleep better swaddled.

Noah was swaddled till just ova 6.5 months lol. He is a sensitive fellow and still gets quickly over stimulated. It was the only way he would sleep up till now. I used the kiddopotomus swaddle me's cos Noah used to escape from my attempts at swaddling lol xxx

My boy hated being swaddled. Baby will tell you which they prefer -- but only if you try it, obviously.

Strangely enough, though, my LO was having a very cranky day and a hard time resting today. Out of desperation, I tried swaddling him. It has actually helped him take naps today. However, he still won't tolerate his arms being tucked in (needs his thumb), and he kicks himself loose in his sleep. But at least it is helping some! Strange after 5 months of hating it, he allowed it today. :haha:

Any blanket will do. But some find it easier to have a special swaddle blanket. It is up to you!

Thanks ladies, thts fab..will def give it a go.

Oh and no, don't use a sleeping bag too! I moved onto these when Theakston gave up the swaddling and I think they have a min. age or weight anyway.

We swaddled with the Miracle Blanket and i swore by it for helping DS sleep better - i'm now pg wth no2 and will definitly be swaddling again. We only swaddled at night as it sort of signalled it was time for his 'long sleep' and he was (still is!) a very wriggly little boy! During the day he slept on me most of the time but i won't be able to do that with number 2 so i'm thinking about swaddling during the day too - would this work? As newborns they sleep all the time and i don't want to swaddle all the time!

Adam wouldn't be swaddled apart from his very first night in a towel in hospital. After that we tried but he screached and was in distress so gave up. I wanted to swaddle as well, but he wasn't having any of it. He was born in the heat of summer, mid August, so maybe that had something to do with it? As soon as it cooled down and he had gained a bit of weight, we used a sleeping bag and he loved it, has always slept very well from that point on (1 month old). He sleeps with his arms above his head, the startle reflex never used to bother him.

I swaddled until he showed signs that he doesnt like it anymore which was around 6 months. Swaddling really helped calm him down and made him feel more secure I think. I just used a regular cotton blanket.

I swaddled Imi up until a few weeks ago. She would have carried on I'm sure but I didn't want her to become reliant on it to go to sleep :) I used a miracle blanket and swear by it. Imi was sleeping 12 hours a night from 6 weeks and i'm convinced it was partly to do with that :)

I am hoping to swaddle lo too. I have bought a Miracle Blanket off eBay - it was brand new and think it cost about £6.50 plus p&p. I was so impressed when I saw Vici swaddle Imi, that I just 'had' to have a MB!! I want a bubba that sleeps through the night too!! lol!!

Oooooh and Vic - if you're selling your MB, I'd love a spare ;) xxxx

lol, I will be selling it hun, can keep it here till I see you next. Hope you are well xxxx

I'm swaddling my little boo ^_^ she loves it! she spends most of the day swaddled if I'm not wearing or feeding her ! I just use normal blankets but I have a snuggle love wrap from pumpkin patch I use too - its so easy and stops her from wriggling out so easily :) :) :) swaddling makes her so peaceful <3 x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->