Swearing around/at children - does it matter?

Agree that intent behind words is more damaging then swearing.

I agree with that too. My heart breaks when I hear the way some parents speak to their children :cry:

i hate hearing parents call thier kids stupid or idiot. how damaging is that.

The words, like swear words, don't matter. Kids understand the tone and meaning behind whatever words are used.

My parents didn't use dirty language, but some of the things dad said were just as bad. You can hurt the child by HOW you say things more than the words used.

Cussing in general "around" kids doesnt bother me. Like smashing your hand in the car door and swearing a blue streak in pain/frustrarion, as long as its not directed at the child, then I don't have a problem with the words themselves.

My DH is constantly swearing, it really annoys me and I have told him he will have to stop when the baby comes as I don't want them hearing that kind of language. I always say maybe he can learn a few more adjectives rather than adding in pointless swear words to sentences! He is a builder and says that's the way all builders talk but we'll see.

I personally don't agree with it although I know the odd swear word can't be helped in the right circumstances, a prime example is my three year old niece who got frustrated at doing up her shoes and said 'I can't do these stupid fucking shoes' OMG I was so shocked but not surprised as her Mum swears at her all the time!

yip sometimes they listen when they arent meant to and repeat it when you least expect it.

i was in the bath with finn one day and i was shoutin down to hubby who wastaking no notice, finn calmly siad-dont worry mam hes just bein a dick head.

i nearly choked.hed obviously heard me mumble it under my breath. bad mam.

I would never swear at my kids,but sometimes I swear around them and they have never copied me,just as they wouldnt drink beer,they know that it is something adults do and its not acceptable for them to do it.
Owen tells people off if they say a 'naughty word'.

I don't like swearing around children and really have to watch my mouth around them. I'd be mortified if they picked one up

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->