Sweeps??

xxVickyxx

Jacob & Joshua's Mummy xx
Reaction score
So has anybody got any sweep success stories?? Am supposed too b getting one today, am clutching at straws here! Am sooo uncomfortable right now :growlmad: xx

In my opinion they only work if your body is ready to go in labour. I had one attempt at 39+4 and my cervix was too high for them to reach and even do it - I was so disappointed as assumed they would just be able to do it. I then had another at 40+2 and they could do it, I was already 2cm dilated, and I went into labour less than 24 hours later.
My friend had one done at 40 weeks and went into labour within hours, with her second baby she had 3 sweeps between 39-40+6 and didn't go into labour until 41+3. You body really needs to be ready for them to work :)

I had one last week at 39 weeks and nothing happened. My midwife said they are more successful when you are overdue. So I had another one booked yesterday but my midwife was ill and the replacement midwife had too short fingers so couldn't do the sweep. I was so annoyed. I'll have my next one on Sunday. Good luck with yours. xx

Worked for me with DD, I had one (which made me start loosing my plug) and 24hours later she was in my arms :)

I had an attempted one on Monday at 39w6d and I wasn't ready - cervix too long and posterior. It hurt! Not getting another one in a hurry!

As everyone has said they are more successful the further along you are.. I had one on my due date with DD1 and I went into labor thatday albeit a slow process.. I'm booked in for a sweep today but I've been feeling like things have already started so fingers crossed it pushes it over the edge lol.. good luck let us know how you get on xxx

I sooo feel like my body is ready, going by my lmp I am 41 weeks today so can you imagine how frustrated I feel!! Put that with the fact I have a 10 month old therefore was pregnant by the time he was 7 weeks old and I just feel like am ready for my non pregnant body too b back!! I've been pregnant for like 18 months with a very short break! I've been getting pains on and off, like period pains and back ache and horrendous pelvis pain! I just want my lil boy here already! Sorry for the rant xx

As everyone has said they are more successful the further along you are.. I had one on my due date with DD1 and I went into labor thatday albeit a slow process.. I'm booked in for a sweep today but I've been feeling like things have already started so fingers crossed it pushes it over the edge lol.. good luck let us know how you get on xxx

Good luck, am feeling the same but maybe it's just wishful thinking lol, keep us updated xx

It's worth a try but bear in mind that even when things are favourable it's only a 50/50 chance of it working. I had one with my second eldest as I was already 10 days overdue it wasn't a very nice experience and it didn't work. It has worked for others I know but just not me xx

It's worth a try but bear in mind that even when things are favourable it's only a 50/50 chance of it working. I had one with my second eldest as I was already 10 days overdue it wasn't a very nice experience and it didn't work. It has worked for others I know but just not me xx

I had one with my first at 38+4, had a big bloody show the next day, then contractions on and off for 2 days, I then had too b induced at 39+2 due to pre eclampsia but the doctor gave me another just before and it's absolutely killed, she was soooo rough but I don't know If that would have worked as I was induced straight after. Am hoping this time my body is more ready with having back to back pregnancies but as I said could be wishful thinking lol xx

Good luck, am feeling the same but maybe it's just wishful thinking lol, keep us updated xx

I will let you know if anything happens.. I'm the same as you with not having much of a break my DD1 is 20mths so I feel like I've been pregnant forever lol xx

I had one with DS1 at 41 weeks and the midwife said she was able to do a good sweep and so my cervix was obviously on its way to being ready and I had a bloody show not long afterwards and then was in labour 12 hours after my sweep ( it was done late afternoon) she said to :sex: that evening as the prostaglandins in the semen would really be able to get to work on my cervix :haha: so we did and then I was in labour in the early hours of the morning! So I believe it worked for me but I do think your cervix has to be favourable. But fingers crossed for you and good luck!

I am 40 weeks on Saturday according to my LMP but the scan but me back two weeks so according to that im technically only 38 weeks but I would like to have a sweep done at my appointment tomorrow as I have had a hellish last few weeks and am absolutely done in.....at 35 weeks I had to stay in hospital as I had 12 hours of contractions that then all just stopped although I was dilated to 2-3cms but had nothing since the week before that I had a severe chest infection and was in bed for a week on antibiotics I also a 4yr old and an 18month old then the week after my hospital stay I had another flu type thing and this last week me and my 18 month old have had the sickness bug thats doing the rounds :cry::nope: and I am just truly fed up now!

Sorry for the rant on your thread! :hugs:

I had one with DS1 at 41 weeks and the midwife said she was able to do a good sweep and so my cervix was obviously on its way to being ready and I had a bloody show not long afterwards and then was in labour 12 hours after my sweep ( it was done late afternoon) she said to :sex: that evening as the prostaglandins in the semen would really be able to get to work on my cervix :haha: so we did and then I was in labour in the early hours of the morning! So I believe it worked for me but I do think your cervix has to be favourable. But fingers crossed for you and good luck!

I am 40 weeks on Saturday according to my LMP but the scan but me back two weeks so according to that im technically only 38 weeks but I would like to have a sweep done at my appointment tomorrow as I have had a hellish last few weeks and am absolutely done in.....at 35 weeks I had to stay in hospital as I had 12 hours of contractions that then all just stopped although I was dilated to 2-3cms but had nothing since the week before that I had a severe chest infection and was in bed for a week on antibiotics I also a 4yr old and an 18month old then the week after my hospital stay I had another flu type thing and this last week me and my 18 month old have had the sickness bug thats doing the rounds :cry::nope: and I am just truly fed up now!

Sorry for the rant on your thread! :hugs:

It's fine, rant away!!! That's exactly what happened too me! I was supposed too b 12+2 and scan knocked me back to 10+2, they exact same thing happened with my first pregnancy!! I hope you get ur sweep tomorrow and it gets things moving for you, seems like you've had a horrible few weeks!!! Good luck and keep us updated! Hopefully we will all have successful sweeps lol xx

Last time I had a sweep at 41 weeks and I was already 1cm dilated, but nothing happened.
I then had another at 41+3 and was 3cm and it work almost straight away (although I had had a few irregular contractions overnight beforehand). Baby was born 14 hours later.
So I think mine was successful only because my body was truly ready.
Rx

Well I just had mine, she said my cervix is obviously starting to prepare coz it's thinning right out!! She said she gave me a good sweep and if she was to bet on it she would think it would be one to get labour going! If not she will give me another on monday!!! Xx

I had one done on the 10th of April, at 39+3, just because my midwife was doing a cervical check and found I was 3cm dilated anyways, so why not! I was in no rush to go into labor but what the heck!

I went into labor at 2am on the 12th. So it was a while over 24 hours after the sweep. I'm sure it wasn't even related and just a coincidence. I was already losing hunks of mucous plug and getting a ton of cervical pain as she headed down.

But it doesn't hurt to try.

I've had my sweep but she isn't hopeful it will work (mw was a bit of a cowbag to be honest) did say to bonk away so that the semen helps etc.. so that's my plan very soon! I'm booked to see a consultant tomorrow to see if I'm having an induction or c section so I really hope I go naturally.. good luck everyone xx

I've had my sweep but she isn't hopeful it will work (mw was a bit of a cowbag to be honest) did say to bonk away so that the semen helps etc.. so that's my plan very soon! I'm booked to see a consultant tomorrow to see if I'm having an induction or c section so I really hope I go naturally.. good luck everyone xx

Good luck to you also, hope it works for u xx

I had a sweep done on Tuesday at 9:00am and for the rest of the day I felt a bit odd, and had some spotting and lost the rest of my mucus plug. My cervix was dialted at 1.5-2cm. Since Tuesday I feel like LO has dropped further and I've continued to lose bits of "gunk". I have another sweep tomorrow morning and I'm really hoping that my body is ready enough now for it to work!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->