Swimming advice

dacosta

Reaction score
Hi all, my lo is 15 months and we haven't been swimming before.

I'm eager to get her used to the pool and water but not quite sure what I need. Obviously a swim suit for her, but what sort is good?

Also, what nappies should I have on her?

I'm guessing we just sort of sit and play in the shallows but does anyone have any advice for a newbie swimmer and toddler? :)

Hi hun, you have to buy special swimming nappies,most supermarkets or places like Boots sell them, then just a swimming costume over the top. Some people buy the little jackets that go on the top so that baby can 'float', others use the rings that they sit on, other people just hold their babys and let them have a splash about in the water. Hope you both enjoy it :thumbup: xxxxx

We used 'Little swimmers' nappies and a full swimsuit. https://www.eliasandgrace.com/girls/petit-bateau/66099-swimsuit

My daughter wanted to go slowly - so at first I went in, and she sat at the side, just dangling her legs. Then she came in - but we proceeded gently. When OH tried more vigorously, and her face got underwater, she got really scared, and I had to start from all over again.

Watch her for signs what she's comfortable with.

we went swimming first time a month ago. we went to a special baby pool which was heated warmer than normal pools, and it was set aside from the normal pool so quiet. We used swim nappies and a swim top and trousers. We went in very gradually sitting on the side and gradually lowering ourselves into it, she screamed the place down at first but was happily walking between us two and "whooshing" between us 10 mins later! we praised her lots, made it all seem very exciting, and we took in turns to hold her whilst the other one showed her how good it was in the pool! Changing room was a nightmare- it was absolutely freezing and we put both my towel and hers around her so i shivered loads!!! next time i am going to make sure she doesnt wear anything too fussy, and i am going to take my dressing gown so i can keep warm whilst dressing her.
We are planning on going back again next week, and then may get her something like a ring, or float or something. Good luck x

also some pools can be a little on the cold side so we use a baby wet suit. Little swimmer, much cheaper to buy in the supermarket rather than at the pool.

We use arm bands too.

have fun x

Attachments

• 023 (11).jpg
    023 (11).jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 4
thanks guys - this is all great advice. lots on my shopping list :) - i remember pools being cold when i was small and always trying to eek out as much time in them as possible because changing was always freezing - must remember to take a couple of big fluffy towels.

its worth having a look in your area to what pools have toddler pools as much warmer and lots of other children for them to look at

Like others have said, swim nappies, wet suit and a floaty jacket if you can find one the right size. We also have a "floaties" wet suit with built in floats - we got it from a baby sale so can't tell you where to get one, sorry. Home bargains had the floaty jackets cheap last year though.

See if your local pool has an aqua babies session, ours does and they have toys and floats and music as well as someone there to suggest ways to get LO used to the water.

We take our little boy to normal swimming now as it's on a weekend and we both work, we just hold him in the water in a swimming position and pull him through the water, and throw him up in the air and catch him just as he hits the water so he splashes - anything to make it fun.
We have never fully dunked him like you hear of people doing at swimming lessons, but he has started putting his own face in - and then laughing when he pulls it out again.

well we went swimming but it wasn't ideal. we just sat on the steps for about 30 minutes. alexa really wasn't sure at all and i felt quite nervous. i dont know if she was picking the nerves up from me but she didn't seem too inclined to go any deeper than her waist and just sit next to mummy in the water.

she did attempt to lean forward and looked like she wanted to dive in at one point but i gently put my hand on her (we dont have swim aids at the moment) to keep her upright as i didnt want her going face first in the water and panicing.

not sure if i did the right thing but just sitting in the water for the entire time as neither of us seemed to enjoy it much. actually dreading going again :(

next time we're taking daddy as two pairs of hands must be better than one nervous mummy pair.

I think sitting on the side just a bit in the water is a good start, at least she'll know for next time what it is, and how the water will feel. I always take my OH dont think i'd do it on my own (not for a long time yet), might be a good time to take her next and maybe u could pass her between the two of u whooshing her in the water x

Evie didn't really like her rubber ring she preferred to be close to us

She has a Tahiti and shorts all im one suit (can't remember the name) keeps her warm

Take a few towels for your LO tho and some snacks and a drink after

Enjoy!

my LO screemed the 1st time we went lol its confusing tho to be fair to her,
but after that she loved it to bits
i just held her so she kicked about and splashed then got a rubber ring after a few times when she wanted to float independantly, now she is bigger im moving on to the float jacket things :)
good luck xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Megan didnt want to let go of me when we've gone swimming -but if I held on to her really close but went in to shoulder high she liked it. I got her to splash w/ her hands & kick her feet. She also liked "jumping" w/ her feet on my legs - like bouncing up & down in the water. Within a few times going she wasnt clingy anymore. She now likes it when I hold her up out of the water & bring her down into the water (but I dont let go & dont have her face go under). Also she likes standing at the edge & me still holding onto her while Im in the pool & bring her in - (like jumping in w/out me letting go).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->