Swimming - anyone do it regularly?

aly888

Lana-Boo's mummy & WTT #2
Reaction score
I'm not too fussed about losing weight, but I could do with 'toning' up, and I always thought swimming was good for that. Is that true? :shrug:

I think it is :) I used to swim loads, but got out of the habit about 10 years ago. I started again at the beginning of this year and am now up to 1.5km (about an hour of not particularly speedy swimming, 75 lengths of a 20m pool) twice a week, and I can feel a difference in how my muscles are. I use it as cross-training for running, and the two work well together.

Thank you. I'd probably only go once a week though...would that be enough to make a difference? Swimming seems to be so bloody expensive :shock: It's about £5 a go at my local pool, and the time table is so crammed that there is only really one day a week that I can fit in around all their classes and "private hire" :rolleyes:

I used to do county swimming and trained for 2 hours daily and my body sure has had a shock since giving it up, I didnt realise how well it kept me until I gave it up iykwim? x

Yes, I think once a week could make a difference, if you did a long enough session. It is a pain, isn't it, trying to get into the public baths, and it does cost a fortune :( My local pool is about £4, well it was last time I went, but I'm really lucky that my work has a gym and pool, and we can pay £25 a month to use it as much as we like. Still, even they have kiddies swimming lessons at the weekends and lifeguard training courses that run for a week at a time, so it can get pretty crowded in there.

I think if you make the most of the time you can get in the pool you will start to see a difference. Also have you considered something like a pilates DVD to try at home? Pilates is amazing for toning and strengthening your core muscles, and some of the DVDs aren't that expensive. I can't recommend a particular one though I'm afraid.

Good luck!

I swim twice a week, 1000m a time before work. Not as impressive as Mrs Eleflump, who's works out to 1500 a time :)

Anyway I do it along side my other activities to help me burn calories and lose weight. My understanding is it's better than cardio for toning, but then anything is!!! Depends how much you want to tone, swimming isn't enough for me as I want to look more toned.

Have fun x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->