swine flu shot

OULINA

Reaction score
hi ladies ,

i've heard alot of bad stuff about these shots...has anyone had one or is planing on having one? i've read that there could be very bad side affects ... i have no idea what to think or do ....and what about our kids... school is starting soon too ... i am so affraid of this.....is anyone thinking of giving them this shot?.... i am so affraid....:cry: i dont want to do something i will regret for the rest of my life....
i think i am gonna risk it and not do the whole shot thing and see what happens... if anything happens .... what are you all thinking of doing about this.... my mother thinks this is the worse time to get pregnant ....:cry:
i hope everything goes well and we all somehow get away with this swine flu...
i am so worried...:cry:

Hi,

My Oh and I have talked about this, as they have said that when they start the vaccination programme pregnant women are going to be at the top of the list. There is no way I am going to have it!!!! They have not had enough time to see if there are any long term affects on either adults or our unborn children, so I will not be touching it and will just keep myself as healthy as I can and keep using the antibaterial hand gel.

Hi,

My Oh and I have talked about this, as they have said that when they start the vaccination programme pregnant women are going to be at the top of the list. There is no way I am going to have it!!!! They have not had enough time to see if there are any long term affects on either adults or our unborn children, so I will not be touching it and will just keep myself as healthy as I can and keep using the antibaterial hand gel.

I too have been thinking about this. I am totally undecided because as you say, there has been too little research into the effects on the unborn baby.

I am just a little concerned as my husband is a bus driver and comes into contact with hundreds of people each day. Think I will have to banish him to the spare room!!:haha:

I'm pregnant and a nurse, and I'm really not sure what to do. Hmmm.

Im pregnant with lung problems so i dont think i have a choice. I'm at very high risk of complications if i caught swine flu....its just hard because as a lot of people on here have said on here with the fast turn round theyve done in creating the vaccine i dont know if it will be safe for the baby.

:shrug:

What are we to do? If i get pneumonia as a complication thats not gonna be safe for the baby either.......gah!!

Just to add to the debate my freind works as an intensive care nurse in the midlands (UK) and she said theyve had quite afew people through thier doors that have died so far which is unheard of in previous years of seasonal flu. She said its not as bad as they (the government) were making out but it is wrose than usual....and the patients they do get in are very hard to treat. they cant sedate then like they would usually and theyre a nightmare to intubate. Theyre not responding to conventional treatments.

This has me worried too. Not sure what to do either. I will speak to my doctor about it and then make a decision later on. I am a school teacher so I am around LOTS of germs every day!

I know when I was preg last time she recommended I get a flu shot (regular flu not swine). I never did. I was going to, but when I went to get it they wouldn't give it to me cause I was pregnant! It didn't make sense!

Anyhow - not sure what to do!

I had my 1st app with my midwife on monday 17th last week,i spoke to her about it. She didnt know anything about what the health service are going to do as the doctors arent even that sure yet!!(which shocked me) but she did say there wasnt enough known about the vaccine and she would not under any circumstances be giving it to any expecting mothers until she had reasurrance from the relevent authorities that it was safe!! I personally think unless you do have underlying problems it may be worthwhile taking some additional pregnancy vitamins!! I wouldnt have it,i would be too afraid of a repeat of the scandal in the 60's,deformed babies,missing limbs,that was meant to be safe back then!!!!! Just be wary!!

Hello everyone,
I actually do research in public health preparedness with a focus on pandemics. The A/H1N1 shot is just another strain of flu shot, much like you should already plan to get in the fall anyway. Not getting the vaccine puts you and your baby at much higher risk than getting it! Pregnant women have had extremely bad outcomes when contracting A/H1N1 and there is a chance it will be much more virulent and pervasive this fall. The link of vaccines and all the horrible things you noted have been debunked. They are scare tactics from people like Jenny McCarthy who don't know what they are talking about.

Talk to your doctor and keep checking your local health department's web site. They will tell you where it is available and when to get it. Your local health department is a more reliable source than your physician for this information as health departments will be the agencies distributing the vaccines to providers and the public. The good news is, we are priority #1 for getting the vaccine.

Hope this sets some minds at ease!

im not sure it is as you say good news we are priority #1 for the vacine

Is there proof that its safe for us and the babys as i have seen nothing which says it has been proven to be safe.

I for one will not be getting it unless there is evidence of it being safe

If im wrong i will gladly have it

The A/H1N1 shot is just another strain of flu shot, much like you should already plan to get in the fall anyway.

I was going to say this. People are worried that the vaccine is so new it's not been trialled for long enough but every year a new flu vaccine is created for that particular seasons strain, in much the same way as this one. This is just the version for this strain - it's not being tested any less than the annual flu vaccine.

the name 'Swine' flu makes it sound worse....it's flu. It's just a different strain.

If I'm offered it, I'll be taking it.

I have only heard good things about the shot and I am definitely going to get it when it becomes available.

I have only heard good things about the shot and I am definitely going to get it when it becomes available.

Thats good to hear,
think we all need to get as much info and advice and decide whats best for each individual :)

When it becomes available in the US, I think I will probably get it. Like others have said it is just a modified version of the influenza virus and the regular flu vaccine changes every year with every bit as quick a turnaround as the H1N1 vaccine.

Far as i am at the moment then yes i would take it, but the likely hood i'm still pregnant when the jab is available is unlikely anyway. According to the news & research online, The jab will be offered to those on priority1 first which is october, Depending how that goes pregnant ladies are 2nd in line for it...i cant see it taking just a few wks for those getting it first to be finished & im due end of november. So cant realistically see it being ready before my bumps born. But obviously your all due later & imo you would be a tad daft not to have it. As already mentioned it is just a new strain of flu, & there is always a new strain. There is a risk to everything we do & take includings jabs so to not have it & put yourself & baby at risk i dont understand. The risks appear to be no diff with this flu jab than any other . I certainly dont want normal flu never mind swine flu , if you have really had flu & i mean proper flu you wouldn't want it again especially pregnant.

I think its very foolish to just take the governments word that it is safe!! I wouldnt get it unless its proven safe and would only get it if totally needed!! Midwife said to maybe start taking pregacare?or something like that(cant remember name). I wouldnt risk my babies health for anything!! I wasnt trying to scare anybody in my original post but i mentioned what a prior "safe drug" did to ladies in the uk in the 60's,that drug was called Thalidamide!! It was (i think) for morning sickness?? and yet this "safe drug" caused severe abnormalities and left many babies with problems with their limbs!! FOR LIFE!! But at the end of the day we all have freedom of choice!and when informed with the information make our own minds up!! but its always worth noting the past ladies!!

Well i live in Colorado US, and on the news hear they are saying how unsure of the vaccine they are. That it can cause paralysis and even death. Also they talked about how there unsure of what it will do to unborn babies.

Well i live in Colorado US, and on the news hear they are saying how unsure of the vaccine they are. That it can cause paralysis and even death. Also they talked about how there unsure of what it will do to unborn babies.

Well if thats what they are saying i wouldnt have it :wacko:

Im asthmatic so not sure i have much of a choice for it but if it is safe and there are no risks to the baby then il have it as the last case reported of a pregnant women that had both the mother and the baby died not a nice story

I think its very foolish to just take the governments word that it is safe!! I wouldnt get it unless its proven safe and would only get it if totally needed!! Midwife said to maybe start taking pregacare?or something like that(cant remember name). I wouldnt risk my babies health for anything!!

I understand your point but if you take it to it's extreme then you cant believe anyone. You could argue that the pharmacutical companies who test it are bound to say it's safe to line their pockets. If you listen to anti vacc groups then you wont take it either. If the GMC or NICE or who ever say it's safe then all you can do is make a decision based on that and your personal feeling IMO.

There is a risk with any vaccine. However, there is also a risk in NOT getting the vaccine.

Tink- the FDA has finished first round testing in the US and testing on pregnant women has either already begun or is to begin soon. So, while the testing is still in trial, the first round has not had any more side effects or illnesses associated with it than the seasonal flu vaccine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->