swine flu shot

Never had any flu show in my life and I've never have the flu. In fact, it seems like the only people I know who get the flu are the ones who get a shot every year. Plus, I read about the study a while back that had the actual numbers for pregnant women's outcome with swine flu. The numbers were only slightly different. Probably the same for the regular flu.

A flu vaccine is nothing like a new drug like the morning sickness one described earlier and used to scare people into not getting this flu shot. Flu shots are adapted every year for the current strains that are out there. The swine flu strain is just one more variation. If you have ever had a regular flu shot and not had an adverse reaction, then you shouldn't be the least bit concerned about getting this flu shot. I wouldn't trust the 'news' as they're all about sensationalism and selling papers. All a bunch of biased morons. Try going to the CDC web site and getting real information for yourself.

And I'd like to add that I get the flu shot every year, and I never get the flu.

I was thinking that, if it is considered the same risk as any seasonal flu vaccine and I'm past the first trimester (which I am now anyway), I will likely get it:
1) due to my pregnancy contributing to lowered immunity, as with all pregnant women (I don't get sick often, but this is the time I'd be most likely to)
2) my high risk job
3) something I forgot about...we recently had women in my hospital in intensive care and on life support with swine flu

I'm not in a 'high' risk job but working in a school you can request the regular flu shot if you need it as obviously schools are a breeding ground for germs! I actually did request it one year as there seemed to be lots of cases locally. I didnt get flu that season and I had no side effects, although I wasnt pregnant, so I'll take it that this vaccine will be similar but just 'tweaked' for the new strain :)

I've never had the normal flu shot, and I wouldn't get it now that I'm pregnant. So based on the whole 'swine flu is just another flu' theory (which I agree with), I won't be taking any extra pre-cautions for this either. Especially not as long as it's not clear if/what side-effects there will be. I know it's only a small variation on the normal flu shot, but it's still an untested difference.

Besides, I personally am still of the opinion that it's all hyped up too much and not all that bad. Sure extra people are dying right now, but the numbers aren't that much higher than previous years with just normal flu. And 2 years ago we had a massive break-out of normal flu that left everyone in a panick about extra deaths/economy falling to bits due to people having to take time off sick ... non of it ever got as bad as they predicted.

Nah, I'll pass.

-Edit-
Would like to add that in Holland pregnant women are no longer classed 'higher risk' unless you already have previous problems that would entitle you to the normal yearly flu shot

I've never had the normal flu shot, and I wouldn't get it now that I'm pregnant. So based on the whole 'swine flu is just another flu' theory (which I agree with), I won't be taking any extra pre-cautions for this either. Especially not as long as it's not clear if/what side-effects there will be. I know it's only a small variation on the normal flu shot, but it's still an untested difference.

Besides, I personally am still of the opinion that it's all hyped up too much and not all that bad. Sure extra people are dying right now, but the numbers aren't that much higher than previous years with just normal flu. And 2 years ago we had a massive break-out of normal flu that left everyone in a panick about extra deaths/economy falling to bits due to people having to take time off sick ... non of it ever got as bad as they predicted.

Nah, I'll pass.

-Edit-
Would like to add that in Holland pregnant women are no longer classed 'higher risk' unless you already have previous problems that would entitle you to the normal yearly flu shot

Im with you on this girl

Nah, I'll pass.

-Edit-

Im with you on this girl

https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/news/20090729/pregnancy-ups-swine-flu-death-risk

I think everyone has to make a judgement based on personal circumstances. This does seem to be effecting women in the later stages of pregnancy more severely and it is a resperatory illness but as long as you know the facts you are more than capable of making a choice based on the pro's and con's.

If you have all the info and u feel you dont want the jab thats fine...but equally if you have the info and you feel its right for you then have it too.

Vaccinations and parental choice general are always going to be contriversial and debated issues from now until your child is 40yrs old ;o). What works for you may not work for the other mothers out there - this is just the first of many hard choices that we are gonna have to weigh up and judge for ourselves.

I am undecided on this , I will not get the shot until doing a lot of research into it, that story from around ww2 about the morning sickness meds that caused all sort of malformations in babies sticks in my mind..

You definitely cant compare the flu vaccine to to thalidomide.

I've never had the normal flu shot, and I wouldn't get it now that I'm pregnant. So based on the whole 'swine flu is just another flu' theory (which I agree with), I won't be taking any extra pre-cautions for this either....
Im with you on this girl

https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/news/20090729/pregnancy-ups-swine-flu-death-risk

In that same article it also states that pregnant women are at higher risk from illness/death because of normal flu. And I wouldn't have gotten a flu shot had I fallen ill last year either, so not changing that opinion just because the flu is a slightly different variation/name.

But everyone is entitled to make up their own mind =)
As for me saying that in Holland you are no longer classes at higher risk because you're pregnant, that fact doesn't change because of an english article. You're still at an increased risk (in 3rd tri) of complications, but no higher risk of catching it. But when pregnant you're always at a higher risk of complications, be it 'swine flu', 'flu' or 'pneumonia', if you catch it it's likely to be worse in pregnancy than it would have been otherwise.

In that same article it also states that pregnant women are at higher risk from illness/death because of normal flu. And I wouldn't have gotten a flu shot had I fallen ill last year either, so not changing that opinion just because the flu is a slightly different variation/name.

But everyone is entitled to make up their own mind =)
As for me saying that in Holland you are no longer classes at higher risk because you're pregnant, that fact doesn't change because of an english article. You're still at an increased risk (in 3rd tri) of complications, but no higher risk of catching it. But when pregnant you're always at a higher risk of complications, be it 'swine flu', 'flu' or 'pneumonia', if you catch it it's likely to be worse in pregnancy than it would have been otherwise.

Yes, exactly. Everyone needs to make up their own minds on this one. I just ask that they do the research and not just read the hype.

Good luck to everyone, no matter which way you decide on this one. :thumbup:

I'll certainly not be taking it if offered. For a start, Swine Flu is just a strain of regular flu, and no-one panics about that. And secondly, since it was only discovered a few months ago how can they possibly, in that amount of time, have developed a vaccine and be able to confidently say there are no risks to unborn children. They can't.... unless they have also invented a time machine. Which I doubt.

Whilst i appreciate that some people may not feel comfortable taking it themsleves I will have no choice but to consider using it because of my health situation. The risks of me catching it are just as serious for me and baby, and more proven, than the risks of the vaccine.

Opinions are great but all this scare mongering and personal opinions about safety without any actual research into pregnancy and THIS vaccine to support or refute those opinions is making me feel bad.

I can only go with the research thats available and i'm not in the position to refuse the vaccine unless i have serious evidence to prove the harm it would cause out weigh the harm of catching a respratory which its unlikely i will fight off as effectively as a healthy person would.

This is a healthy debate but i think i'm going to stop reading and worry less. I have to make a decision based on the facts to hand at the present time. I fully support anyone who disagrees with taking the vaccine, i just ask that people consider that some of us may not be in a situation to as easily make the same choice.

I'm not very concerned with it, my ex's sister got the swine flu, and it wasn't that bad for her. I was around her the whole time while I was pregnant and I'm okay (mind you I didn't know she had it).

But yeah, she didn't die, and it went away fairly quickly.

Nobodies mentioned it to me, my midwife hasn't said anything. I don't think i'd have it anyway, i'm sure there hasn't been enough tests into it, who knows if it'll effect our baba's?? xx

People need to stop thinking about the whole thalidomide incident. this was down to chirality (basically a mirrored image of the product that was safe to use) being missed. this is the twenty first century. have a little faith in the scientists and pharmacists who have spent gruelling hours over this vaccine. your government would not risk harm to millions of women and unborn children. if there was a slight risk we would not be offered it unless informed of these risks. so unless my doctor says 'no, we advise you not to have it' which i dont think will happen, im getting it.

Winter is almost upon us...

But good luck everyone, no matter what you decide. its completely up to you...

thank you ladies for all your replies!:hugs:

i still have no idea what to do...hubby thinks i shouldnt do it...
i guess i will have to talk with my doctor and see what he thinks...
i pray none of us get this flu or any kinda flu...
good luck to all...

i had swine flu 2 weeks ago, (im not pregnant) i was ill in bed but i felt like i had normal flu but was sicky with it to, even now im not fully recovered and i have a low immune system and have faught it. i work in a care home and they are saying we need to have the shot as we work with vulnerable people. if im pregnant by the time im suppose to get the shot i.l refuse it.

there is a risk with any medication you take in pregnancy nothing is ever 100% safe.

Whilst i appreciate that some people may not feel comfortable taking it themsleves I will have no choice but to consider using it because of my health situation. The risks of me catching it are just as serious for me and baby, and more proven, than the risks of the vaccine.

Opinions are great but all this scare mongering and personal opinions about safety without any actual research into pregnancy and THIS vaccine to support or refute those opinions is making me feel bad.

I can only go with the research thats available and i'm not in the position to refuse the vaccine unless i have serious evidence to prove the harm it would cause out weigh the harm of catching a respratory which its unlikely i will fight off as effectively as a healthy person would.

This is a healthy debate but i think i'm going to stop reading and worry less. I have to make a decision based on the facts to hand at the present time. I fully support anyone who disagrees with taking the vaccine, i just ask that people consider that some of us may not be in a situation to as easily make the same choice.

I am in the exact same situation becasue I have asthma. I have no choice. and to my way thinking any side effects are less severe than death which is what I am facing should I contract it. I take comfort in the fact this isn't a brand new technology or methodology for that matter. It will be just as flu shots in the past simply with the updated virus. I will in fact be getting both the seasonal flu and swine flu shot and I will not feel bad or scared about either.

When you are a healthy person and don't not have a life threatening condition it is fairly easy to decide which risks you are willing to take as getting sick would be likely just that getting sick. When there are other factors at play the decision becomes more complicated. I am not willing to risk my life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->