Switching to cloth nappies-a few Q's

cath

Reaction score
I've decided to bite the bullet & have a go at cloth nappies. My council offer a voucher of 45 pounds to help with the cost so I figured I could buy 2 or 3 different nappies to see if I get on with them & if not I havent lost anything. I just have a couple of questions that I could do with some help on from all you experienced ladies

Are there any nappies that are better for beginners than others? I was looking at getting the all in ones or all in twos as I thought they would probably be easier for a newbie but am open to other sugestions too.

How are they at containing explosive poos? LO is BF but is also on Lactulose to counteract the effects of Infant Gavisicon & we're struggling to get the balance of med just right at the moment which means she sometimes has really runny, explosive poos. The disposibles do manage to contain most of it although we have had a couple of leaks where we've had to wash her & change all her clothes-would cloth generally be better, worse or about the same?

Apart from nappies, is there anything else that I would definately need?

Honestly, how much extra work does it take?

Thanks in advance xx

IME cloth is better at containing poop than disposables (way better!)
As for styles. If you want easy go for pockets, they come with a waterproof layer and fleece (or other stay dry) inner and you just put an absorbent insert into the pocket (99% of pocket nappies come with inserts when you buy them new) these are VERY easy to use.
It is worth having two part nappies (ones needing a wrap) around though, the one I recommend to everyone is the Tots Bots Stretchie, it would do as a night nappy (we use it as one) but also daytime if you are "due" one of those very runny/explosive poops as the way its designed is genius and there is no chance of leaks PLUS the backup of a waterproof wrap means there isnt going to be any bath dunking required. Flip nappies are also goo for poop containment, they are a waterproof outer with a mircofibre or organic cotton insert, again super easy, quick and economical too.
Aside from nappies all you need is a box/bucket to store the dirty ones in, any will do. They dont smell at all so no need for it to be air tight or anything. I just use a standard box that I used to use for storage :)

The extra work it takes...well its not really any extra at all (plus I prefer not to have to go outside in the rain to put nappies in the bin!) it takes a few seconds to drop the dirty nappy into the nappy box, a minute or two to load the machine a few times a week, ten minutes to unload and hang and then ten minutes to put the dry nappies away.....so like 20-30 minutes 3/4 times a week. Less time than it would take to go to the shop, buy a pack of sposies and come home again!

I've decided to bite the bullet & have a go at cloth nappies. My council offer a voucher of 45 pounds to help with the cost so I figured I could buy 2 or 3 different nappies to see if I get on with them & if not I havent lost anything.

That is exactly how and why I started using cloth and i am so happy i did it hopefully you will be too!

Are there any nappies that are better for beginners than others? I was looking at getting the all in ones or all in twos as I thought they would probably be easier for a newbie but am open to other sugestions too.

Personally i think modern ones are much easier than terry towelling, all the folding etc that goes with that but everyone finds it different. A simple pocket nappy would be great for a newbie IMO, something like a Fuzzi Bunz or a Blueberry. All in ones are uber easy too as they just one piece to pop on however they take quite a while to dry so if drying is an issue for you this is something you should consider.

How are they at containing explosive poos? LO is BF but is also on Lactulose to counteract the effects of Infant Gavisicon & we're struggling to get the balance of med just right at the moment which means she sometimes has really runny, explosive poos. The disposibles do manage to contain most of it although we have had a couple of leaks where we've had to wash her & change all her clothes-would cloth generally be better, worse or about the same?

Again, i think big pocket nappies. I'd perhaps avoid something trim like the Itti Bitti as, as good as they are, i'm not sure they would be able to contain the poo as you described. You might want to consider buying/ making a few fleece liners to absorb the runny poos. The thing with cloth is that it's all trial and error, what might work for me might not for you and your baby and vice versa. Nothing is totally fool proof, it's just one of them things. Best thing to do is use your voucher, buy 3/4 different nappies with it and experiment. You can always sell your nappies on if you don't get on with anything. The good thing about cloth though, with poops like that she is less likely to get nappy rash wearing cloth than she is sposies as they are more breathable.

Apart from nappies, is there anything else that I would definately need?

Honestly, how much extra work does it take?

Not much, just some fleece liners might be good as said above. A little bucket could be helpful too. I really don't think they take as much work as you might first think, ok they are a bit more demanding than sposies, of course they are but for us it's only an extra wash every 2/3 days and 15-30minutes putting nappies together.

Just to add that you may also like bumGenius V3s - they are the ones I use and are simple to use, they go on just like a disposable.

I find cloth much better at holding in explosive poos as they have elastic at the back.

With regards to anything else that you may need...the only other thing I could recommend is some cloth wipes! If you're doing a nappy wash they're no extra work!

I find cloth no extra work. It takes me 5 minutes to hang them up, and 5 minutes to stuff them. I'd spend MORE time going to the supermarket to buy sposies!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->