Switching to FF at 4 months - I know nothing!

xxxLeoxxx

Reaction score
Hi Ladies

My DS is almost 4 months old and is so far is EBF but I am considering switching to FF. I had originally planned to do this at 5.5 months when I go back to work but his feeding habits are driving me mad.

He still feeds every 2 hours during the day and during the night. I had hoped (and been promised by HV's, friends, parents and GP's lol!) that he would have spaced them out a bit by now but he shows no sign of doing so. In fact in the last week he has upped his night feeds to every 90 minutes rather than 2 hours. A paediatrician advised me to give him some baby rice as my milk wasn't sustaining him but I think I will just switch to FF a bit earlier than planned.

My question is, do all formula fed babies by 4 months of age go in to a routine? My friends FF babies of a similar age are all in 4 hour routines but they've been FF from birth so I'm not sure if it'd be the same for my DS. The reason I ask is that if there is a chance that he will still wants to feed every 90-120 mins then I may as well stick with BF for now.

Also, I know nothing about formula - how much, how many feeds a day, what brand etc...

Any advice would be very appreciated! x

My DD has been FF from very early on, she feeds anywhere between 3-5 hours but it is mostly 4/5 hours. The HV has said the 5 hour mark is fine, she'll feed when she needs it and she's gaining weight etc so it's all good.

We're on Aptimal 1st milk and she takes, usually, 4 bottles a day, and it really does vary how much of the bottle she'll take but she's on 180ml and 6 scoops for her age. The tub tells you how much to use but every baby is different, in general I was told when she's draining most of her bottles, move up; its always better to be throwing milk away than to have none left as the former means DD is getting what she needs. She doesn't take as much as she perhaps 'should' for her weight but I was told as long as she's gaining weight, is alert and her nappy's are good then just follow her lead :thumbup:

Hope that helps some, good luck.

It will probably take you lil one a while so to get up to drinking the 6oz bottles 5 times a day as being breastfed and used to drinking small amounts more often his stomach won't be as big as a baby who has been ff from birth shouldn't take to long though. And will be the same if you wait till 5.5 months. X

Not sure if you have changed to bottles or not but we had the same issue at 4 months. They go through a growth spurt and tend to feed more around this time. In the past this was when they suggested weaning as they thought milk was not enough but guidelines and research have changed. My LO did settle down after that and we didn't wean till 6 months. I am surprised your HV have suggested that feeding might reduce especially around the 4 month mark. We started on formula 1 bottle at night a few weeks ago, initially he didn't take much but he does now, so be prepared that he might not take a lot to start off with till he gets used to it.

I've switched to FF for that reason. I BF if he wakes in the night, but he usually manages to sleep from about 10pm to about 5am. I had to do it, I needed sleep!
And yes, he's fallen into his own little routine more or less, he has 5/6 bottle a day from 7am every 3-4 hours until he goes down for the night. When he wakes at 5am or before, I give him a little BF and he goes back to sleep until we get up at 7am. We've been on formula for about a week and a half...
Good luck!

I only breastfed for 2 weeks, not by choice but because my milk never fully came in/ she never fully latched, and my daughter was loosing weight in the hospital. I pumped for a few days but it was sucking the life out of me. My daughter now has been formula fed only for the past month, and I am SOO glad I decided to do so. She is only 7 weeks old and already has a great routine down at night. She gets a bottle (around 4 oz) at 8pm and will be down for the night. She usually wakes up once or twice for a feed, but thats about it.

I only bfed for the first 3.5 weeks and the feeding was continuous so I switched to bottled and it was still continuos tried him back on the breast and he refused so I was stuck with bottles then, as soon as he finished one bottle I was making the next as he would just take tiny amounts every 20 minutes if that it was exactly the same as bfing.

The only thing that improved for us was the cluster feeds that went on from 6 til about midnight every evening, he seemed to settle faster at night and other people could feed him occasionally so I could do things with my toddler.

Only since about 6-7 months has he been going 3-4 hourly and that's with 3 meals, hes not a big baby he just always liked little and often.

Hey there well done for what you've managed so far. I had to give up breastfeeding at 8 weeks not through choice, but I cant deny the many benefits I have felt since swapping to FF.

When mine BF, he had some demanding feeding habits, particuarly on the evening leading up to bed. He would be on and off the breast constantly, I was mostly in tears each evening. Bottle feeding very much helped this part.

However, he still awakes in the night at 4.5months. Usually twice, max of 3 times. I thought a nice large bottle before bed would be enough but it hasnt been for me. I think it can be different for all. That being said, I still regret NOTHING about swapping to FF. I was upset to give up BF much earlier than I wanted, but I am a much happier person and have more time to do things. Not to mention the benefits for my family too. They now enjoy taking him out sometimes without the pressure to be back to me within a couple of hours, or pressure on me to pump (didnt work out too well).

sorry posted lots , it said it hadnt posted!!

Our babies were born on the same day! And I'm thinking exactly the same! He still feeds 2 hrly round the clock, only issue with going to FF is he will not take a bottle and have been trying for three weeks!! I'm desperate for some sleep and to stop bf now

Hi ladies

Thanks for all your replies.

I switched to FF last week when DS turned 4 months. He is now feeding every 4 hours during the day and his night time sleep has improved to 7.30pm - 1am, 1am - 4am then up at 6am. I know this isn't that good compared to some but in comparison to his sleeping while EBF it's a massive improvement.

I did struggle a lot with the dreaded guilt of switching but it's done now and tbh I feel a lot happier now.

Our babies were born on the same day! And I'm thinking exactly the same! He still feeds 2 hrly round the clock, only issue with going to FF is he will not take a bottle and have been trying for three weeks!! I'm desperate for some sleep and to stop bf now

Thankfully DS never had any issues with the bottle - I fed him expressed BM every so often from a few days old so I think he must have got used to it that way. Sorry I can't really offer any advice!! X

Glad it worked out for you, don't feel guilty, your happy, your LO is happy and everybodys getting more sleep!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->