Syringe feeding colostrum

I don't know anything about pumping while pregnant... agree with the advice to check it with your dr! :)

From what i understand, syringe feeding is done mostly to preserve the breastfeeding relationship (they did this for us while in hospital). So, if you are going to bottle feed anyway, I would prepare and offer the colostrum in the bottle first and then top up with formula (if necessary). Offering the colostrum first should mean no wastage :) just thought I would say that you may not need to syringe feed at all.

Good luck! Let us know how you get on!!

Colostrum is thicker so doesn't come out of a bottle teat too easily, so syringes are recommended.

Also it is in such small amounts that transferring from syringe to bottle then from bottle to baby will cause a lot to be wasted cos it will stick to the sides of each container. Sucking the milk directly in to syringes then freezing those mean they are ready to go with minimal wastage.

Hope that helps!

Good points! :)

I guess I was picturing using an electric pump and storing in the bottle it would be drunk from. It would be nice to avoid the pfaff of syringes, but not if it means lots of wastage!

Colostrum doesn't always pump easily either (although some people can!) and can hurt tender pregnant breasts, so hand expressing is usually recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->