Tachycardia

sethsmummy

mum to 3 beautiful boys
Reaction score
Anybody else have this?

I'v never had any problems before with it, I am a bigger lady but please dont automatically jump to the conclusion that this is the reason as i know its not just bigger women who get affected by it.

When i was at an appointment on Thursday 18+1 weeks, they took my blood pressure which was normal but the midwife looked concerned and said to my consultant that my pulse was 115. He asked what my resting pulse usually was and i said i didnt know. I hadn't done any physical exersion before this.... I had been sat in the waiting room for half an hour.. and had gotten the bus to the hospital. He made the midwife call upto the ECG department and the nurse came down with a machine and did an ECG and my pulse showed as 105. The nurse was a little concerned and said i was Tachycardic, but when she phoned the consultant he said i was ok to go home.

I'm getting several episodes a day where i go dizzy and can feel my heart pounding, i cant even get my housework finished without it kicking in.

Anybody else had a problem like that and what did it mean for your pregnancy??

Thank you in advance. x

usually tachycardia is associated with dehydration. I recommend upping your water intake. With DS I had tachycardia damned near the whole pregnancy because I had BAD hyperemesis and was dehydrated.

I am sure there may be other causes for tachycardia, but usually dehydration is the most popular cause (unless you have a known heart condition, in which I'm not even sure which heart condition could cause it).

Thanks hun, I'll try upping my liquid intake, although im already drinking around 6 pints a day. No pre-existing heart problems though, this is the first time my pulse rate has every been high x

Before I was pregnant, I was on betablockers for this and for migraine prevention. It helped slow and regulate my heartbeat but the dr took me off it when it was discovered I was pregnant. :shrug:

I still have a racing heartrate and it still skips beats at times. There are times it'll skip so bad I can't catch my breath.

All I know to do is just take it easy. If you're worried about it ask to be referred to a cardiologist. They'll probably do an ECHO (ultrasound of your heart) and have you wear a heart monitor and keep a journal while you have it on. They might have you do a stress test as well.

Hopefully all will be well for you :hugs:

I suffer this with heart pulpitations, they usually happen when I'm mega stressed out, have eaten too much salt or when Im dehydrated. Ive had it more often since being pregnant. When it happens take a deep breath it should calm down. xx

here-we-go, it was a cardiologist who came down to do the ECG. She id ask if i felt my heart beat faster but i wasnt sure what that would feel like so said i dont know.. but now im looking for it. i can feel it beat much stronger than usual either feeling it in my chest or up near my throat.

ukgirl - I've tried the breathing, and sitting with head between legs etc but it doesnt help. I just have to sit or if im out lean on something until i feel stable again x

Sitting down never improved mine, but it did help so that when I was dizzy, I didn't fall down!

I would ask to see someone else. Sometimes in an "emergency" situation, the dr will only check to see if it IS an emergency and send you on your way. Whether there's something wrong or not, if you're not dying, go on home. *sigh* At least, that seems to be the case over here.

You know if something is wrong. Get another opinion if you're still having troubles with it. :flower:

thanks hun, it wasn't an emergency as it was a standard appointment where i was going to discuss taking baby aspirin with my consultant and to mention my dizzy spells. It's to be checked again after my scan on the 31st of this month. Still seems so far away1

I was also going to mention salt, calcium, and potassium intake. All three can alter muscular function. If I eat too much salt/sodium I notice my heart rate changes. Even if you are intaking normal amounts, an imbalance of either one of those can cause issues.

I have it too. I am on restricted activity. I just had an echo on Thursday and wore the holter monitor for 24 hours. I am currently seeing a cardiologist and have another appt next weeks with her. Neither her or my OB have said anything about dehydration... Interesting. Mine is pretty bad, just standing up can shoot my heart rate up to 140+. I've never had it before in my other pregnancies, nor while I'm not pregnant. My blood pressure is perfect as well. They've prescribed a beta blocker which I've not taken yet, I am waiting to hear what the echo and monitor showed at my appt this week. I will keep you posted as to what happens. Good luck hun, its scary and uncomfortable, deep breathing seems to help me a little bit.

ah, Ill have to keep an eye on that too. I'm hoping its gone back to normal after my next scan lol was really hoping for a complication free pregnancy x

oh yeah potassium, I forgot too.. if it's bad try a banana they can bring levels back up xx

thanks coocoo. my bp is also perfect :) and thankyou i would be really gratefull if you keep me posted as it looks like another 3 weeks till i can ask the midwife more x

ty uk :) I love banana's so that shouldnt be a problem trying that one lol xxx

Can be totally normal in pregnancy! I have some problems with tachycardia before pregnancy and i can tell u 115 for me is a very good day haha! A fast pulse wont in it self harm u so really dont worry :) x

Can be totally normal in pregnancy! I have some problems with tachycardia before pregnancy and i can tell u 115 for me is a very good day haha! A fast pulse wont in it self harm u so really dont worry :) x

Thank you :D <3

In my last pregnancy I had a low blood pressure and high heart rate (usually around 120) they said it seems weird but never seems concerned so I never really worried. I havent been checked since 8 weeks with this pregnancy so I dont know if the same is happening this time but it just seems to be a pregnancy thing for me. hope everything goes ok for you xx

It isn't always true that its normal or that it won't harm you. When your heart is beating that fast even when resting its like you are constantly running a marathon. This is in no way normal for a body. Our hearts were not meant to be worked like that 24/7. My cardiologist has explained to me that a heart beating like mine is, even while I'm physically resting, for this many month , can cause heart failure. I'm not trying to hype things up, but don't agree with anyone down playing this. Periods of an elevated heart rate is one thing, but a constantly elevated heart rate is another.

Hey, I have a cardiac history which when not pregnant causes no problems, however during this pregnancy it has causes palpitations on numerous occasions, have u had ure haemoglobin checked as often anaemia can cause a tachy. I'm due for another echo tomorrow as they noticed changes on my last one, so I'm hoping its only minor. I have been on beta blockers pre and during pregnancy and so far so good. Hope u get the reassurance u need, however if u feel breathless with a tachy the advise is always to get checked. Cardiac or no cardiac history, it's not worth the risk. Xx

I have tachycardia, I had it with DS and have it again. I don't seem to be effected by it when I'm not pregnant. I am being monitored more closely but I just have to get my bp and pulse checked every week. With DS I used to see like silver sparkly rain in front of my eyes but I haven't had it yet. My midwife/consultant really don't seem bothered, I had a heart murmur but it seems to have gone (I've had 2 traces and several listens since 8 weeks and nothing :)) so now they aren't doing anything, my midwife said its just one of those things! Not much help lol, sorry.

Oh I used to find that eating something sugary when I had a breathless/woozy spell helped, I don't know whether there's any science behind it or if its just a personal thing lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->