Taking 3 year old to hospital with me??

LeoTheLion

Reaction score
I'm currently 33 weeks measuring 3 weeks ahead, ds1 was born at 36 weeks and was a big boy so possibility of going early with this one too.
Had GD test (no results back yet), have growth scan booked for 30th and on urine sample last week had traces of protein in .. Having what i'm assuming to be braxton hicks for the first time tonight with i think very mild cramps (although may be psychological).
I live in Stafford & hubby being in the army is away on exercise 5 hrs away, he can't just come home on a maybe. I have only lived here a few months so don't really know anyone but family live just under 2 hrs away. So can i take son to hospital with me if i go into labour until family can get to us??

You should call your hospital and ask, but I would think for liability reasons that they would require someone to be minding your son if he were to come along. You may want to look into finding someone to hire to take care of him if your husband cannot make it home.

Most hospitals have strict rules when it comes to children being in the labour ward. Give them a quick phone to ask if it would ok until family get there as you never now, but it's likely they will tell you to arrange family to come over as soon as you think you are in labour and wait at home until they are there. Xxx

Check with your MW, but I know at my hospital it is a no. You can take children to triage but they aren't allowed on labour ward. I've read on here that people have asked and been told that if they have to take a child with them to L&D and have no one to look after them the hospital will call SS to arrange emergency temporary foster care, but I don't know if that is always the case. Would it be possible to have family stay with you until LO comes? Maybe in shifts- like a few days or a week each, from 35 weeks or something? Then they would be able to stay with your LO when you go into labour.

Thankyou for replying :) tbh i did think it would be a no but worth asking, got 8 more weeks yet so will have to get out making some friends lol :)

It depends on the hospital. My DD stayed with us the entire hospital stay (Sunday-Thursday) minus the 3 hours for c-section and recovery. If I had a VBAC, she was allowed to stay for that too.

My eldest daughter was 17 months when my youngest was born. The hospital I had intended to give birth at I knew children were allowed in the delivery suite (supervised of course) but I had to change hospitals at 40 weeks and didn't even think to ask about children. We had to drive 3 hours away and she came along with my mom to supervise her. I still dont know the hospitals policy, but no one said anything when she and my mom came in to see me in early labour, and my daughter fell asleep on the couch in my room. She woke during second stage and my mom quickly took her out of the room. She stayed with me all day until we were finally (reluctantly) discharged. I had been offered a private room where my dd could spend the night with me and the baby, but I just really wanted to go home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->