Taking baby abroad

Chellebelle

Reaction score
I am taking Simeon to south of France in July with my friend and her two year old, and our other friend - a sort of girls and babies holiday :D

I am a bit worried though as I have never taken a baby on holiday before... does anyone know the following:

- why was it only £5.49 per person on the flight, but £19 for Simeon? (that's not including taxes though)
- can you take a pram on the plane and do they usually charge extra?
- what could I do about a car seat over there? (we are thinking of hiring a car between us)
- what factor sunscreen would you use on a 7 month old in a hot place?
- can you get baby sunglasses anywhere as Simeon hates bright sunlight?

Also, is there anything I should be thinking of that I haven't mentioned?

I am sorry if I sound dumb lol... I guess I feel a bit dumb with this :blush:

Thanks. x

- it was probably more for his ticket because he might need a special cot to keep him safe in the plane that fits onto the seat??
- I think you can take your pram but if anything happens to it it's your responsibilty :(
- not sure about the car seat - maybe you could get one from the place you rent a car??
- high factor sunscreen, making sure you apply it regularly and follow all the instructions

for shading him from the bright light you could use a parasol??

hope you have a lovely time though - sorry if i haven't been much help with your questions

Hi,

Not sure I can answer all of your questions. but i can try and answer some of them for you. I took my DD to Florida last June when she was 16 months old.

- can you take a pram on the plane and do they usually charge extra?

When we took our DD away we took a maclaren buggy and when we went to board the plane they put it in the hold and we collected it in the baggage area. Not sure about prams though. Best idea is to call your airline and check and they can also tell you if there is any charge.

- what could I do about a car seat over there? (we are thinking of hiring a car between us)

Not sure about this one, you could either try and hire a suitable car seat when you hire the car (obviously checking this before you go) or take one with you. We took our own with us and checked it in with our suitcases. Again you'd have to check with your airline to see if there is any charge for this.

Personally I'd be happier about taking my own seat as you know it's history, plus when we hired a car the company couldnt guarantee the availabity of a car seat either! That and they wanted about £10 a day to hire one! (It was cheaper for us to buy a new seat than hire one for 2 weeks!) Obviously the disadvantages of taking your own seat is the risk it gets damaged on the plane or doesnt fit in the car you've hired.

- what factor sunscreen would you use on a 7 month old in a hot place?

I'd use sunblock. lots of different companies make sunblock for babies/children, just have a look at a few of them. I'd go for 5 star UVA protection on them too. I'd try to keep your LO out of the sun as well.

- can you get baby sunglasses anywhere as Simeon hates bright sunlight?

Have a search for baby banz sunglasses. That's what my DD has - they have a band that goes round the back of the head with velcro. Quite a few places sell them online.

Might be worth getting a hat and a sunshade too!

Hope that helps,
Baci

Sunscreen - Factor 40 at least! I've found the "babies" sunscreen (its a pink tube) causes his eyes to get red and swollen if he rubs his face and then his eyes.

Out of the 3 I've tried, the only one he doesn't react to is the Nivea sunscreen for babies / kids. Its quite expensive, but definitely worth it.

Also use the baby banz sunglasses, although the band is a bit small for my boy now.

I'd also strongly suggest you buy a sun hat and preferably one with a strap under the chin. We also have a proper swimming hat and spiderman swimsuit which keeps the sun away from his body as just having sunscreen on is not enough.

Do you know what airline you are flying with? x

- why was it only £5.49 per person on the flight, but £19 for Simeon? (that's not including taxes though) i have no idea, he wont have his own seat he will sit on your knee unless they do a special seat which costs extra
- can you take a pram on the plane and do they usually charge extra? not sure about a full pram whenever i have been on holiday people have just got umbrella style buggies
- what could I do about a car seat over there? (we are thinking of hiring a car between us) the company you hire the car from will supply a car seat at an extra charge
- what factor sunscreen would you use on a 7 month old in a hot place? i bought factor 50 for young children from boots but its like putting on concrete lol, it is so hard to rub in
- can you get baby sunglasses anywhere as Simeon hates bright sunlight? not sure about baby sunglasses but i know u can get sunhats with a peak on and a piece on the neck to stop the sun getting on them, you can get children sunglasses so surely you can

hope you have a lovely holiday hun

Lou
xxx

The only one I can actually answer is the sunscreen. My mom works for a dermatologist and they've always said SPF 15 is fine. Essentially anything higher than that is mostly marketing schemes and anything lower doesn't provide enough protection.

Costs are a per airline thing so you'll probably have to call them directly to get those questions answered.

Everyone else has answered the other questions, just thought i'd let you know that The Baby Catalogue sell baby sunglasses x

Hun I used to work for an airline and I am now a travel agent!!! and I would say it is £5.49 per person because that is the fare for the flight(plus taxes). On a low cost airline they would have cheap fares to get you to book....The £19 is a standard charge that airline charges for an infant...They don't get their own seat. If you had booked him as a "person" you prob would have got a seat and it would have been the price you paid!!! not all airlines let you do this though!!! If he had his own seat he would have to still sit on your lap for take off and landing tho...

You can take a pram.you can take it down to the gate then it goes in the hold. sometimes you have to collect it at baggage reclaim so make sure you have enough hands to carry baby if that is the case!!! It's no xtra unless you are on a low cost airline in which case check cos they charge for all sorts of things!!

For a car seat. We sometimes take our own and check it in...You can also prebook a car seat with your car hire company, check when booking if they have one..(just bear in mind if you do how do you know what has happened with it before you use it...). again if you take yours with you check with the airline if it is a low cost one. If it is not then you can include it in your luggage allowance

the other questionseveryone has answered...for the sunglasses could you gethim a cap with a big brim to shield his eyes..thats what we did with Dan.:hugs:

I hope this helps hun...as I said I work in travel(have done for a looonnnggg time now!!) also we have been abroad with Dan many a time if you need anything else!!!:hugs:

Im in spain now... and we paid £5 for courtney to get through on the plane!! i think its kinda admin charges...

yep u can take pram on the plane... we flew with easyjet and theirs no problem..!! I would suggest a stroller/pushchar though as they are easier to carry!! We folded it up and left it at the bottom of the stairs to the plane and then they put it at the front of the plane, you then collect it at the conveyor belt where u get ure luggage.

you can hire car seats when you hire a car

ive got a factor 50 ambre solais kids one

yeah u can get baby sunglasses... courtney has fifi ones although she wont keep them on

I also suggest a all in one swimsuit they are great to protect them from the sun!!

:)

I can't answer most of your questions, but I will say, try the Babybanz sungalsses. They have a strap on to keep them in place. Also, a factor 50 sunblock would be good. Like the other girls have said, also try a cap with a peek and a bit down the back to protect his neck.
Have a fab time hun!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->