Taking DD abroad without FOBs permission

Jaysmummy

Mum of 3 and WTT
Reaction score
Another thread on here got me thinking

I split up with DDs Dad when she was 18 months and since then he has only seen her a handful of times (she's 9 this year) last time being 2 and a half years ago.

What would the situation be taking her abroad? She doesn't have a passport yet, can I apply for one with just my consent?

She also has her dad's surname but I obviously can't get written permission from him, is that really a necessity?

You can get a passport with just one parents signature.

From what has been said, it does seem as though you would need FOB's permission to take LO abroad (assuming he was on Birth Certificate and therefore has parental responsibility).

In reality though, if he hasn't been in touch, how would he know you were abroad and be able to object? If you have a residency order then you can go for 4 weeks with no permission needed.

I'm sure somebody will know more than me!

Legally you need his consent but like pp said he has to be aware of you going to report you for it. If he isnt around then i think his lack of involvement would suggest he waives the right to have a say on the matter. Also you only need one signiture to get a passport.

We're you married? Has automatic parental responsibility changed in recent years ?

No we weren't married but he is named on birth certificate so therefore has parental responsibility.

It's not so much him objecting I was worried about, more so being stopped at the airport as she doesn't have the same name as me, OH or my 2 younger children

Take her birth certificate with you, showing you're her mum in case you get asked questions. 9.99 times out of ten they will wave you through without a second glance.

You can get her passport by yourself.

Could you get her name changed to match you all if he's not bothered about her? I'm a single Mum and mainly for traveling reasons gave my LO my surname.

I don't see why you would need to ask, he doesn't even see her which is sad.
They wouldn't just stop her for having a different last name.
Is this a move or just holiday?

On holiday my son has gone through check out with my sister, and never had a question asked

It's just to go on holiday. Phew I was panicking I'd never be able to take her.

I've thought about changing her name to match my boys or mine but I don't think her name goes with either surname (it would be a proper "pick on me" name!)

Oh dear lol
So yeah I wouldn't bother telling him and go enjoy ur holiday, when it's all booked

Don't think you need permission.

Dd1s dad knew we were going abroad with her, but didn't have to do anything official or anything. This was August last year.

He is on her birth certificate and has pr

If he doesn't see her and so isn't likely to know you're going then yeah I don't reckon you need his permission but definitely take her birth certificate as they will (most likely) ask you for proof that she's yours as she doesn't have your surname.

I didn't spend more than a week away from my parents until I was 18! It's crazy that anyone would expect you to hand over your lo for a whole month +. I'd have some very stern words!

My mum and her husband took his grandson on holiday lots when he was younger only once were they asked anything and that was on their way back into the UK they just asked why he had a different surname, they explained the situation and they were told to go on thru'! Admittedly they did get a letter signed by his mum the next time they travelled but nobody ever said anything to them again.

Its quite a grey area though because if my (step) nephew had been given his mothers surname not his dads he would have had the same name as my mum and her husband. They both get mistaken for his parents as it is because my mum is only 52 and her husband will be 50 this year and my (step) nephew is 9 this year. Obviously neither of them have PR.

Personally I would do as pp has said and take her BC with you in case anyone questions you, I think the chances are quite slime if I'm honest.

I've flown quite a lot with my LO to all different places from different uk airports and not once have I been questioned about permission from LO's dad. He is on the birth certificate and me and LO have different surnames. Ive personally never known anyone be stopped x

Well I've been stopped two out of three times that I've travelled with Maria. First time they asked for her birth certificate but let me go when I explained that Finland doesn't have birth certificates but told me to make sure I had some kind of proof next time. The second time they didn't stop me. The third time they told me that I am supposed to bring her birth certificate, I said I had a paper from the magistrate for proof but then he couldn't be arsed to look at it so just waved me through (probably because she looks so much like me now) but still, they do ask, and its best to be prepared in case they are stricter than the ones I had.

I've had a close friend be asked as well, flying with her son to the continent from UK.

It does happen so it's best to prepare

OHs ex threatened to run away to another country with their little one, we contacted police and passport office to find out if we could stop her and does she need his permission. We were told that she could do as she pleased and only one parent is required to sort the details. Thankfully it turned out to be no more than a threat.

Go on holiday and enjoy yourselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->