• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Taking Supplements

turnersgirl

Reaction score
When i first started ttc i invested in some pregnacare etc for both of us but on visiting the doctor he said that we don't need them and someone is just making money out of us.

Having spent quite a bit of money on various bits and bobs i said well we'll take them anyway else its a waste of money. Having looked up other types of things to help conception I've had a little nagging thought of are we actually confusing our bodies by continually trying different things and would just letting them function normally (unless you are aware of a problem which in my case I'm not) be a more productive method?

Onto today and down to my last 2 pregnacare tablets i thought i will get some more, everyone else seems to take supplements , so off i go. Im my local chemist i asked the pharmacist what he thought (didn't tell him what the doc said) and he said apart from folic acid there is nothing else you need to take if you have a balanced diet and there is nothing on the market that will help conception!

Obviously I'm a girl that needs convincing so i went from that one (being an unknown chemist) onto the Co-Operative chemist who said EXACTLY the same thing. Had time to kill so i thought well lets see what the pharmacist in Boots thinks...yep you've guessed it the very same thing again.

So can all these people be wrong?!! Consequently for once in my life i have taken advice, no supplements purchased and spent what i've saved on some extra fruit and veggies.

Any thoughts yourselves on that ladies?

This is very interesting Turnersgirl. I too have been taking Pregnacare Conception for around five months now. So far it doesn't seem to have made a blind bit of difference in helping me conceive so I do wonder what good they do! And they are very expensive.

Plenty of women seem to get pregnant accidentally who surely are not taking any supplements so their bodies obviously manage without this help. I've actually just bought a new pack which I'll be starting tomorrow. I may not bother now after this next 30 day pack.

Good idea to spend the money on extra healthy food instead! x

well... I've been taking pre-nat vitamins for months and will continue to do so... actually, my OB did advise that was a good thing (as we don't always get all the nutrients from the foods we eat)... but other than that, who knows? I figure if it can't hurt- then why not try? Might be a coincidence... but seems like there are just too many of those to be totally wrong? Plus- really, I don't think Doctors know everything. lol. I mean I went and got checked out time and time again for stomach issues (non-pregnancy related) and every Dr. I went to just said all checked out fine... then I took it upon myself to see a naturopathic Dr... and within weeks I felt 110% better!!! As long as I stick to my diet I feel great! No other Dr. ever did that for me after years of issues and questions and frustration...

Long story short- sometimes we need to take matters into our own hands. Do what feels right for us, period... if that means no more supplements, then go for it! I think a healthy diet and exercise can do just as much good :)

They are right, you only need to take the extra folic acid and in some countries like here we lack iodine in our foods, you are better of just eating right in the first place, nothing can replace a healthy diet.

This is a really good point - i've been taking pregnacare for the last year and a half as i felt that it was doing something towards achieving the goal. Anyway got so fed up last month - still getting nowhere :cry: that instead of buying yet more pregnacare (and OPKs) i ditched them - taking just folic acid, balanced diet and exercise

I think of supplements to assist but not fully cover kwim?
I never thought to get all my nutrition from pills but to make sure I was geting all I needed. That way if you are low in any area you are covered so to speak.
Folic acid and other vits are there to ensure optimum development of the growing fetus. You of course can get preg without sups (probably most people do) but there can be deficiencies. I take them to give me assurance. I have my guy take them as he has a few pints from time to time and want to be sure his swimmers are in tip top condition:thumbup:

I have never heard of supplements to help with conception, I didn't realise they were being marketed in that way. I do take a mother to be supplement but my reason for doing so was more to do with ensuring that my growing baby (eventually) will have sufficient folic acid for its general health and development.

Im with you on this one, or should i say, with the chemist/GP, lol! Both times i got pg i didn't do anything special at all so that has made me think. I don't bother with the expensive ones and just by a cheap prenatal at Asda or Tesco's these days. £2.99 beats the more expensive ones such as Pregnacare, particularly if you've been doing this for a while (like me :)) You can always supplement with omega 3 if you wanted to and that's cheaper in the supermarkets, too! :)

Having said that..vie come to this after trying all and sundry at this point, you name it and Ive tried/used it. Cant be bothered anymore tbh, lol!

Good luck everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->