Talk to me about caravans (touring ones)

pregatlast

Brand new mummy
Reaction score
My 6 year old asked one day, out of the blue, if we could get a caravan that we could fix on our car to go on holidays. At the time I said that caravans were very expensive, but she got me thinking and googling!!! I'm seriously thinking about it now. Does anyone have one? Good? Not? Easy? Hassle? How are they to tow? I've never towed anything!!
Are cheap second hand ones a false economy (under £2,000). How much would I need to spend for an ok one? How expensive are they to keep and to maintain?
Any info appreciated!
Thanks

I want a camper van in the future - house to sort first *sigh*!

We've been toying with the idea as well but only in a couple of years due to my DD only being 4 and currently expecting.

I have a friend who bought one recently and that to be honest is what has made me think about getting one. She paid just shy of £2k for a 5 birth caravan second hand, it's lovely and has a full scale bathroom in it as well, not just a shower over toilet kind of thing. I think if you search properly you'll be able to get a good deal.

I think the thing that will cost the most on owning it would be paying for storage when it is not in use, unless you have land or family who doesn't mind keeping it somewhere for you. My mum had a small caravan years ago and it did cost her a bit, but in all honesty she never used it a lot.

I think in regards to towing, most cars will be fine however a 4x4 is idea just for more space and umph.

I'm trying to get my friend to let me have first dabs of her when she sells it (which i know she plans on doing in a few years as she wants to upgrade to one with a fixed bed). They're great! I know someone who tours France every summer with their children, even if you only manage to go down the road for a long weekend it can still feel like you've had that break.

What are the benefits of a campervan over a caravan?
Small enough to not take the kids :rofl:

They are smaller, more compact. Depends what you want to do.

Some have pop tops, you can buy tent attachments etc

You can make it into a mini cooking area, wash sink storage etc then the seats come down to turn into a bed for 2.

Think I'll sell up house and just go travelling haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->