Talk to me about GBS

NDH

5 on earth, 9 in heaven, 1 in utero
Reaction score
Its routinely swabbed for at 36 weeks here but, long story short I was in maternity last week after an unusual episode of abdominal and shoulder pain that emergency didn't want to deal with cause I was pregnant and they did a swab which came back positive for GBS so obviously they want me on antibiotics in labour.

I don't know what to do. I really don't want another IV this time if I can avoid it but I don't want to take any unnecessary risks. I also don't believe in antibiotics being given needlessly and who's to say whether I'll still (or again) be GBS+ in another 10-14 weeks anyway?

I was going to ask to be retested at 36 weeks as normal and go off those results, but as someone pointed out to me if I'm negative at 36 weeks what's to say I'll still be negative in 2-6 weeks when I'm in labour? But they won't base future pregnancies on a result from this pregnancy either so what's the difference?

Can anyone offer advice or point me in the direction of where I can research my options?

Tough call. I have no advice, but I'm stalking the thread!

If you test negative at 36 weeks then I think it would be the same as for anyone else tested then, a negative result is no guarentee you cant be infected again before labour but it doesnt make sense to give antibiotics to every woman in labour just incase. Even if you are positive the chances of passing it on to your baby in labour (without antibiotics) are relatively small and not all babies who get it are seriously effected by it. The majority of babies at risk have other issues like being premature. Antibiotics during labour reduce the risk of the baby being infected during labour even more but it is not a 100% prevention. The risks are really not as high as we are sometimes led to belive but obviously there is still a risk, all be it very small, and it can be serious so its worth thinking out carefully.

Yeah I had read that only 1-2% of cases its even passed on to the baby and of those infected babies only 15% have serious complications. I'm inclined to just take a wait and see approach and have the baby treated of there are signs of it but it really is a tough call. And as I'm having a hospital birth I don't like my chances of the midwives agreeing much...

I tested positive in 2009 on a HVS following a MC and as a result have been told I have to labour entirely in hospital, on a drip, with continuous monitoring. I had this last time and it was very annoying being strapped to every machine known to man while dealing with a back to back labour.

I'm doing a private GBS test at 36w and 40w, then taking it from there, especially as I had a precipitate labour between 5-10cm last time.

I was told at my pre-birth MW appt that no homebirth, or MWL centre or water allowed though. Must be on dry land only, in delivery suite.

Funny they are making such a fuss, as last time they didn't actually get them in me in time (should be at least 4 hours before delivery, then repeated every 4 hours thereafter) as they didn't believe I was in labour! :dohh:

I tested positive in 2009 on a HVS following a MC and as a result have been told I have to labour entirely in hospital, on a drip, with continuous monitoring. I had this last time and it was very annoying being strapped to every machine known to man while dealing with a back to back labour.

I'm doing a private GBS test at 36w and 40w, then taking it from there, especially as I had a precipitate labour between 5-10cm last time.

I was told at my pre-birth MW appt that no homebirth, or MWL centre or water allowed though. Must be on dry land only, in delivery suite.

Funny they are making such a fuss, as last time they didn't actually get them in me in time (should be at least 4 hours before delivery, then repeated every 4 hours thereafter) as they didn't believe I was in labour! :dohh:
Are you in UK? If so you have the legal right to a home birth no matter what they say. Of course there can be reasons that it is much better to be in hospital but if you dont agree with their reasons you can say you want a hb anyway and they have to support you. Same goes for any intervention you dont want, they are obliged to respect your choices. Of course you migh agree its the best thing to do, even if it is not ideal, but it is worth researching and balancing the benefits and risks of any option.

dan-o your 2009 birth sounds exactly like my dd's in 2009, iv's, constant on bed/ machines monitoring, back to back baby.

now pregnant with my 2nd they arent testing me this pregnancy, and wont treat me as having it just bacause i had it last time, im planning home birth with pool- and this was my mw's suggestion! they arent treating with antibiotics any one strepb, they wait n monitor baby.

uk

I think you need to be very careful where you are getting your medical advice. Refusing antibiotics if you are gbs positive is gambling with your child's life. I am a pediatrician and GBS meningitis can kill a baby in less than 24 hours. We don't see it all that often anymore because we treat moms with gbs with antibiotics. That being said, you are the one who has to live with your decision and the consequences. Most of the time things are fine, but once in a while they're not. Why put your baby at risk?

Having lived in three different counties I have found that medical advice about things like this varies a lot between country and country and from doctor to doctor. I wouldn't tell anyone not to get antibiotics if they feel that is the best choice but there is no 'right' answer for every case. It is important to do research and make informed choices.

I think you need to be very careful where you are getting your medical advice. Refusing antibiotics if you are gbs positive is gambling with your child's life. I am a pediatrician and GBS meningitis can kill a baby in less than 24 hours. We don't see it all that often anymore because we treat moms with gbs with antibiotics. That being said, you are the one who has to live with your decision and the consequences. Most of the time things are fine, but once in a while they're not. Why put your baby at risk?

completely understand where your coming from, with my first in 2009 every one who tested gbs+ was given antibiotics in labour and i didnt question a thing, they r the medical professionals so i trust they know best, this time how ever iv been told (by my midwife) they dont give labouring mums antibiotics full stop (for gbs), hence they will support any delivery i choose as im low risk for every thing else. very confusing:dohh:

Personally, I refused to even take the GBS test because I would have refused the antibiotics anyway. My midwife completely supported my decision not to take the test as she has done research on GBS outcomes and unnecessary antibiotics.

I know there are some natural remedies out there (probiotics, garlic cloves, fermented foods) that can help you test negative at your next GBS test. Why not look into those?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->