Talk to me about wool...

becstar

Sleep is for the weak
Reaction score
Do you wash it after each use? Do you wash it at all?

Do you have to lanolise it yourself?

Do kids not find it itchy? I used to hate wool as a wee'un.

Does it ever leak?

Tell me anything else I need to know, please!

I dabbled in wool but I wasn't a huge fan which makes me think I probably didn't really get the hang of it!

Do you wash it after each use? Do you wash it at all? I washed every 2-3 weeks

Do you have to lanolise it yourself? Yes, I lanolised when I washed them

Do kids not find it itchy? I used to hate wool as a wee'un. I was worried about that too but it certainly didn't seem to bother her!

Does it ever leak? They never leaked but I found that the wee did seep through so her bedclothes and sleeping bag would be a little damp and smelled of wee - this was my main reason for not keeping it up but also why I think we may have been doing it wrong!

I've been using wool for a couple of months now :) I bought my soaker from www.littlepants.co.uk, and it came pre-lanolised :) I also bought some So Scrumptious Lanolin from them, and have re-lanolised my first soaker using the instructions on the LP website, it's dead easy once you get the hang of it! I just washed it (very gently) first, before re-lanolising it. But I've only done that recently, it went a good couple of months without needing it. I think what got it in the end has been her teething, it started to smell off wee, hence my washing and re-lanolising. It's been fine since :thumbup: I now have a second one, so that I can keep her in wool even when I need to wash/re-lanolise one :)

My first one has Alpaca wool at the waist and legs, which is super-soft. My second one is all Alpaca wool. I remember hating wool as a youngster too, but I think that was probably down to the wool my Mum used! Horrible, treated, scratchy stuff! My LO certainly doesn't seem at all bothered by the wool against her skin :)

My Mum has just agreed to knit some longies for my LO for the winter, so I'm just on a yarn hunt now :dance:

I'd really recommend the Little Pants website that I linked above, there is loads of info about wool there. The lady that runs it is a member on here too, so I'm sure you'll get more info here if she sees this thread :thumbup:

ETA - realised I didn't answer all your questions! I've never had a leak with a wool cover over a WNNN, and my LO is a very heavy wetter at night. The wool cover feels very slightly... well, not exactly "damp", it's kinda... cold-feeling? Not sure how to describe it. But her sleepsuit and sleeping bag are dry, whilst the nappy is absolutely sodden!

Do you wash it after each use? Do you wash it at all?

No, you only need to wash it if it's starting to smell, or is soiled - just wash the soiled bit, if it's just a tiny patch!

Do you have to lanolise it yourself?

Most wool nappy covers will come ready lanolised, but it's a good idea to re-lanilise the first couple of times you wash them. After that, just re-lanolise if they start to smell, or stop being as waterproof.

Do kids not find it itchy? I used to hate wool as a wee'un.

It depends on the wool used, but I only use very soft wool or Alpaca, which feels like cashmere, it's so soft. It's well worth getting Alpaca cuffs, even if you have the main part of the soaker knitted in wool

Does it ever leak?

It will leak firstly if you don't have enough absorbency in the nappy underneath, and wet starts to run out of the nappy. They will also need re-lanolizing probably every couple of months or so, (bearing in mind the above comment about when they are new)

Tell me anything else I need to know, please!

Not sure whether I am really allowed to put this link here, but I have a page about using wool nappy covers here

I'm just on a yarn hunt now

I sell the yarns I use as well as made up nappy covers, at pretty rock bottom prices :winkwink:

I sell the yarns I use as well as made up nappy covers, at pretty rock bottom prices :winkwink:

Oooh I know! I can't decide what colour I want though! I'm so indecisive :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"