Talking on the phone whilst at the checkout

babyjan

Mum&expecting#2
Reaction score
Do you think it's rude?

I remember reading a while back that a lady refused to serve a shopper in sainsburys unless she hang up. I was at the pharmacy giving my prescription in recently and the lady was pointing at my phone, I assumed she was telling me to hang up which I did lol

Anyways was just thinking about it and wondered what everyone's thoughts were on this?

I think it's really rude - having worked on tills before I know how it used to wind me up. As a customer I find it just as rude when the sales assistant is carrying out a conversation with someone else when serving me though, so I think it goes both ways.

Doesn't really bother me at work but I wouldn't do it.

Had one shop owner (and his wife) come over to my OH after talking on the phone telling him how rude he was!! I was fuming!! He wasn't even on the checkout just by the door and it was a business call. We left all the stuff we were going to buy because I was so shocked

I work at boots behind the healthcare counter it's very hard to give advice whilst the person is japping away. Even if the person doesnt really need advice there are still things i may have to make them aware of. Also it's really irritating to wait for them to pause to say thats how ever much it is, its holds a cue up massively. But mainly i do just find it rude. How hard it is to say to the person on the phone hang on i just need to pay for something. But i can tell that it's mostly people who have never worked in retail and don't have a clue about how much you have to actually engage with a customer.

I try not to do it, though I don't let it slow me down with paying etc as that would really make it rude.

This drives me mad! I work in retail and the amount of folk that natter away on their phones is unbelievable, what's even worse is when I'm halfway through a transaction and their phone rings then all of a sudden it takes priority over what is happening in front of them! GRRRR

Umm, I think it depends which shop you're in. In a pharmacy or somewhere where you need to talk and engage in conversation with someone then i'd say it is rude. However at the supermarket if my phone goes & it's an important call I would answer. After the polite hello and nods, as-long as you can multi task with packing and paying I don't see the issue.

Umm, I think it depends which shop you're in. In a pharmacy or somewhere where you need to talk and engage in conversation with someone then i'd say it is rude. However at the supermarket if my phone goes & it's an important call I would answer. After the polite hello and nods, as-long as you can multi task with packing and paying I don't see the issue.

Agree with this

I think it's very rude and disrespectful. Isn't that what answer phones are for?

I try and avoid it but would answer, I never know if it is somebody calling from school/nursery and a problem with one of the boys. Once I realised they were safe I would hang up ASAP and apologise to the cashier.

If I was on the phone to my mum or something in the queue I would obviously end the conversation when I got to the till.

I'm a vet and it really really annoys me when people chat on phones in the consult room - I'm trying to convey important info most of the time and could also often do with a hand with restraining/holding their animals!

I dont really see the issue. I there to buy something not have a conversation with the sales assistant.

I think it's quite impolite and I would only answer if v urgent.

I think its a bit rude and would only do it if I really had to. I do think basic courtesies go a long way and would expect the same treatment back.

I actually think this is really really rude....if its an important phone call then I would take it buy make a point of a apologising to whoever was serving me

Personally I think it's rude and I would tell whoever I am on the phone to that I will call them back. If it's super urgent I'd ask to leave my trolley/basket at the till, leave the store and come back in when I have finished the call.

I do think it's rude, but I also think it's a little rude to ask someone to hang up.

I would never ask someone to hang up, agree that's also rude

I don't see it as much of an issue either tbh. I was in tesco the other day and the checkout lady was absolutely mad. She was talking nonsense about people I don't know. Im not a fan of small talk at the best of times!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->