Tandem feeding after c section.

mrs_park

Mummy to THREE BOYS!
Reaction score
Baby #3 is due in May next year. DS2 is currently breastfeeding and showing no signs of slowing down anytime soon. I am happy to tandem feed but I have a couple of questions?

I have read that milk returns to colostrum for the new baby. Do you produce more when tandem feeding to accomodate for both babies? Or is there just enough to feed the newborn?

When do you start producing colostrum? I am having a section and want to have some expressed colostrum In syringes for the new baby 'just in case'.

Lastly, more of a concern really. How am I going to manage a hefty 20 month old to breastfeed him with my sore tummy. That and worrying how he will cope without a feed while I am in hospital is making me consider weaning beforehand...

I have been tandem feeding with a section with a 23 month old and a newborn. I never lost my milk and it turned to colostrum a few weeks before I had my section at 41 weeks
I was lucky to not dry up and my milk turned into what baby needs. Your body will produce enough for both as That is how our body works... The more suckling there is the more milk you make...
As for the heftiness I just sit somewhere where my toddler can crawl up and sit beside me. The first week I had my mom and husband help me.
HTH! Good luck!

Thanks so much for your response. That really does help.

The last few days my breasts are so tender and feeding is painful. I hope that passes soon!

I had a tender stage too as well as a nauseous stage everytime my toddler fed... It was so hard but I am so glad do kept at it as it has really helped my toddler feel close to me with a new sibling in the mix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->