tantrums at 5

alibaba24

Reaction score
Hi I just wondered how common tantrums were in 5 year olds.
My daughter has literally just turned 5 and often when things arent going her way she will scream. not for long literally seconds then shout at me that shes angry and upset and tells me not to do it again. which is of course whatever im doing that she doesnt want to such as going to the shops . or not going to her nanas when she wants to :rofl: it doesnt last for long to be fair i just wondered if at 5 she still cant keep her anger under wraps lol. she does have a lanuage delay so talking isnt the first thing that springs to mind when shes annoyed. I often read off the terrible 2's and to be honest she was a doddle at 2 it seems to be from 3 onward. her attitude when she doesnt get her own way is shocking :wacko:

anyone else? x

ditto - i put it down to being more tired from school

Earl is shattered from school. He is normally a very docile little boy and he will normally talk himself out of a sulk or a temper but he does find it hard if he's tired.

I've noticed recently he's learned some new behaviour - he will talk back in a proper teenage kind of way shouting 'fine!' at the top of his voice, or throwing himself around in an 'I'm unhappy, did you know i'm unhappy' manner lol. It's quite funny but I don't want him to think that that's the way to deal with these emotions. I've been trying to get him to slow his movements down and think, then speak, and to tell me what's wrong before acting. Normally his tantrums are to do with not being allowed to do something like play on my phone, watch a film, or go to the park with his bike/scooter right at that moment. I assume this is an age thing as they're older and more 'responsible' but not allowed to make those kinds of decisions about their own time just yet which must be frustrating. My coping mechanism is to distract him, or give him an alternative or a time-frame when we can do those things. He is very understanding most of the time, but I understand we all have our moments. Don't get me wrong, I still tell him off etc when I need to, but I'm no longer shocked by it, I try to react in a more 'grown up' manner than I would his younger brothers. DS2 has very much taken over in the toddler tantrums stakes, these are a totally new kettle of fish! lol

We have anger episodes on and off but we don't really have tantrums or out of control crying. When he was younger he was a "drama queen" and he used to cry a lot, but I'm glad now he is older he got over some of his sensitivities

Tom has a lot of anger still - he was a very angry toddler and had daily tantrums from 20 months to around 3 1/2.

When he gets angry with us he tends to scream at us and then stomp off and hide somewhere till he calms down. We also get lots of 'you're not my friend anymore' and 'I don't like you now' when he's annoyed. I tend to ignore it or just tell him that's fine but I still love him.

He did have a mega tantrum just before Christmas when he was very tired after a term at school. First huge one for ages and involved throwing things in his bedroom and screaming and sobbing at us. It took ages to calm him down and he was very distressed. But since then he's been back to the getting really annoyed with us rather than really losing it again.

I think it's pretty normal for 5 yr olds to still have the odd tantrum. They have to behave themselves all day at school and cope with lots of new ideas and influences so it's not a surprise they get stroppy at home.

my daughter isnt at school yet she was just 5 a few days ago. it really doesnt last long after the initial outburst but she cant control her immediate reaction when she realises she isnt getting her own way. sometimes we compromise and that works well enough but if i have to go to tesco or something then i get her wrath lol x

my daughter isnt at school yet she was just 5 a few days ago. it really doesnt last long after the initial outburst but she cant control her immediate reaction when she realises she isnt getting her own way. sometimes we compromise and that works well enough but if i have to go to tesco or something then i get her wrath lol x

I think that's pretty normal for 5 tbh. We get Tom's wrath a lot :haha: but I generally now just keep calm and tell him it's fine that he's angry but it's not going to change the answer.

He stomps off to his room a lot but if we're out somewhere he either refuses to move so I walk off and eventually he follows (obviously if it's safe) or if he goes to run I usually grab him unless he can only run a few metres away. Otherwise he tends to disappear.

My 5 yo nephew has them when he is tired and has to leave his grand ma place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->