Tdap vaccine-get it again??

atx614

Mom of 3
Reaction score
Hi all!

I got the tdap/dtap (can't remember which one, but the adult version of the whooping cough vaccine) while pregnant with my dd in August of 2013 when I was about 30 weeks. The vaccine is good for 7 years, but my dr says I should have it again at 30 weeks with this pregnancy to protect the baby. He says no one in my family needs to get it again since they all got it when I was pregnant to protect dd.

My question is, do you think it is ok to get it again so soon? If I already have it in my body. I am no vaccine expert for sure. Would love any advice, opinions, or experiences please!!

I've never heard of or had that vaccine. Did your doctor mention why you should have it again so soon? If you can't talk to your doctor about your concerns or don't trust him, maybe ask a different one or your midwife if its safe? x

It's the pertussis vaccine for whooping cough. He says it is recommended during each pregnancy to benefit the baby. It is recommended in the US between 27-36 weeks, is it not recommended in the UK? So basically he says I am protected, but baby is not. Luckily this will be a summer baby so after whooping cough season. Not sure what I will do. Any other one have a similar experience?

I think it's fine to get it again. I know my dr now told me that it is recommended to get it during every pregnancy, not for you, but for your baby. When you get an immunization, some of that immunity can pass through to the fetus, which is why it is so helpful. I had a Tdap shot last winter when i was pregnant, and i'm pretty sure i will get one at my next appointment as well.

My baby is going to be born in April, and hopefully whooping cough season will be over, but i'd rather be safe than sorry with a newborn, so I plan on getting it.

It wasn't being given when I was pregnant with DS, I've had it for this pregnancy. Not sure about why you need it again if it lasts 7 years but maybe it only crosses the placenta to the baby if it's given close to birth.

If it's not going to hurt you to get it again I'd get it for baby for sure. Ivenever had the vaccine before but will be getting it within the next few weeks.

It wasn't being given when I was pregnant with DS, I've had it for this pregnancy. Not sure about why you need it again if it lasts 7 years but maybe it only crosses the placenta to the baby if it's given close to birth.

This for sure! I asked my dr around week 24 if i could have it when i had my flu shot, and he said they like to give it closer to birth.

Thanks ladies!! That makes me feel better! Glad to know you are having your close together too luz!

This for sure! I asked my dr around week 24 if i could have it when i had my flu shot, and he said they like to give it closer to birth.

I must have posted at the same time as you so didn't see your reply but it makes sense.

OP I would get it in your shoes o think.

Hi all!

I got the tdap/dtap (can't remember which one, but the adult version of the whooping cough vaccine) while pregnant with my dd in August of 2013 when I was about 30 weeks. The vaccine is good for 7 years, but my dr says I should have it again at 30 weeks with this pregnancy to protect the baby. He says no one in my family needs to get it again since they all got it when I was pregnant to protect dd.

My question is, do you think it is ok to get it again so soon? If I already have it in my body. I am no vaccine expert for sure. Would love any advice, opinions, or experiences please!!

I completely forgot about getting that again! My midwife said to get it to pass on the immunities to the baby. So it might be more about immunizing the baby than about immunizing you.

I'm getting mine at my next appointment in two weeks. I got one when I was pregnant with DS but that was 5 years ago. So I figure can't hurt me to get it. Plus I'd like to keep bubba safe since he'll be too little to protect himself.

I had a TDAP in October 2013, and I still got another a few weeks ago. I was a little hesitant to get them so close together, but it was fine (I probably had one about five years before the 2013 one, too, but I wasn't sure so I got it anyway). It's worth it to me - if you do it in the third trimester, the baby gets some immunity. The CDC says you can get a TDAP no matter when you last had a booster, and pertussis is pretty serious.

TDAP can make you pretty drowsy the next day, so don't be concerned if that happens, and don't plan anything too vigorous :)

Thanks! I haven't done anything vigorous in awhile now haha. I will get it at my apt next week! Just wanted to see if others were getting it close together too!!

I also received the TDAP Vaccine and was told it was to benefit the baby. I got it around 22-23 weeks or so.

Agreed with the others. I had it a couple yrs ago, but dr wants me to get in the second half of my last trimester. I said why I just had it not long ago, and he said moreso for the baby than me.....
It doesn't bother me to get it so I will. I just had the same question too since I had it only a few yrs ago...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->