Teachers

ohhh :hugs: cupcake i'm sorry your first day didn't go as well as you hoped. At least you know what you are dealing with now and can go in on Tuesday in the right frame of mind ifykwim? Have you thought about how you're going to handle it? I always found a good slam of the door when you enter the classroom normally gets attention!

the doors are really weird i cant really slam them,
Here are the things I tried:
*We won't carry on until there is quiet.
*I am going to sit down on this chair until there is quiet.
*shhhh
*Walking around to the desks ( they are arranged in groups and saying shh, dont talk to individuals)
*Addressing the whole class 4th grade stop talking, or who is disturbing us?

so... I tried to analyze and I think the problem was there was no consequence for the noise, so they carried on, so I need a consequence.

so for third and fourth grade I will use a star system, each group of tables will start with a star each for the lesson, if someone is caught talking or being naughty his group will lose a star. If he does something a second time, I will take his homework diary, if he does something a third time, I will write a note in it to his parents. maybe at the end of the week the group with the most stars gets stickers. they only have two lessons a week and that way they start fresh the next week.
For hitting each other or cursing I will have a chair that will go in the corner, if they refuse to sit on the chair I dont know what I will do, maybe send them to the office?

For fifth and sixth grade I am not sure. I think diary system too as they are too young for points. But I dont know if its that effective for them??

Also still dont know what to do about just noise.

hey, just spotted this thread, can i join?
im in 5th yr of teaching secondary graphics.

cupcake- sounds like they are testing boundarys and seeing how far they can push it. you need to give them a concequence and carry it through. after warnings and detentions failed to work i contacted parents, told the kids i would be inviting parents in to discuss their behaviour if it didnt improve. i phoned home for 3-4 kids and parents were very supportive, kids came in next lesson better behaved and word soon got round! also a few positive calls home or notes in the diary makes a big difference too.

I dont know if there is detention??

The school surely has some kind of punishment system? That sounds a terrible sentence doesn't it?! :blush: but you know what i mean, kids would run riot otherwise.

I agree the rewards thing will probably work. Could you change the seating plan or are they sat in groups for ability? Otherwise maybe changing them boy/ girl/ boy/ girl may quiten them down a little?

hi girls - i'm a secondary English/media/critical thinking teacher. completed my 3rd year ay 38 weeks pregnant and not missing the 1st week of term at all!

cupcake - this was an interview, right? If you got the job,
I'm assuming you would then be informed of and advised on the school's behaviour policy? If they don't hsve one you'd be lucky not to work there! imho kids need consistency and all schools need a behaviour policy!

can i ask secondary mums who have gobe back to work - how did you arrange childcare and then negotiate part-time days to fit in with the current timetable? or did school just give you the days you wanted, no fuss?

lindypops- it was not an interview it was my first day, and the school dont really have a discipline system that I know of. just green cards for good behaviour, yellow for misbehaving and red for violence. and after a certain number of cards i guess its suspension. we dont have detention here.

so update: today i went in with a plan and a decision to be really strict, i shouted when necessary, banged on the table for quiet, and was over all really strict and it worked.
it was so much better and i actually got to talk and be nice too! so pleased.

so update: today i went in with a plan and a decision to be really strict, i shouted when necessary, banged on the table for quiet, and was over all really strict and it worked.
it was so much better and i actually got to talk and be nice too! so pleased.

good! hope it's still workimg x

hey all, as its a jewish holiday coming up we had a little staff party today , was really sweet there teacher's room table was set all pretty and each teacher got a box of chocolates and a little honey pot for a sweet new year. the principal said a few words and there was also some fizzy wine.

Hi, am new to BNB - pregnant with my first and a secondary teacher of Vocational Education (Leisure and Tourism, Business and Health and Social Care). How did you guys cope with baby brain?? Today, one of my students said 'Miss, dont you mean P&O Ferries'? I looked at what I had written on the board and it said PNO Ferries!! Just one exxample of many at the moment!!

It might sound awful, but I lowered my standards!

Where I used to spend their writing time (I'm an English teacher) walking ruond, chatting about their work and commenting on it, I spent the time sitting waiting for them to do their writing.

If I cried in front of a class (which I too frequently did in the early days) I made a joke about it and just got on with it - after a couple of minutes to compose myself, that is!

If I made a mistake, I made a joke about it and got the kids to correct me.

I wrote a lot more things down!

As you're a 16+ teacher, at least you shouldn't have too many behaviour probs...

my problem isn't baby brain its just exhausting to teach, i find myself shouting an awful lot these days

hey all! I was just searching for a post on teachers :)

I'm not a teacher, however, I'm applying to do secondary RE for September 2010 and would love to be TTC in my NQT year. Obviously that means getting on a course, completing and getting a job lol, but if that all happens, then at the end of 2011/early 2010 I'd like to be TTC. I saw that a couple of you are/got pregnant in your NQT year, how did you find it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->