Team yellow turned blue! My 2nd natural med-free hospital birth

AnnaSaRa

Reaction score
After having my first naturally in the hospital I was hoping I could do the same for my second. Labour for my DD was about 8-9hrs from active labour to birth. This time around it was shorter at around 5 hours.

I was having really irregular contractions very early morning two days before I delivered (on the Friday), very mild but still significant. I was timing them and they were about 12-15 min apart. But then they became farther apart. I showered all excited, we got stuff ready I had a few more erratic contractions throughout the day but nothing consistent. The contractions continued the next night about every 20 min. They died off once I went to sleep and I was awakened in the middle of the night with pretty painful ones that were about 10-15 min apart, however once I got up and moved around they stopped. I was getting frustrated at this point with all these false starts. I had been losing my mucus plug slowly a few days before and that morning I got lost more, this time it was all pinkish –dark red. However the contractions had completely stopped. I was a little concerned that baby was in a bad position because of the irregular contractions and spent time on the ball, leaning, on all fours to help get things going.

Around 1pm the contractions started up again. Around 1:45 DH noticed them getting really close so we decided to time them although I was hesitant since I had so many false starts at this point! They were coming on pretty strong around 7 min lasting about 45 seconds. They then became closer around 5-6min, they were getting really intense and I wasn’t able to work through them. We called my Mom to warn her that she should start to head over to watch DD. We also paged my midwife because I knew these were getting stronger and I knew I was definitely in active labour. She said we would meet there at 4pm. My Mom got to the house around 3:45 and we packed everything up and gave her instructions on taking care of DD. I could not talk comfortably during contractions at this point and I had to lean over either the bed or my exercise ball to get through them. I wore a heated pad for the drive to the hospital even though it was only 10 min.

We got to the hospital just after 4pm. DH dropped me off at the front while he parked and I headed up to L&D. A woman on the elevator was all “are you in labour?” and I was like “Yup!” She’s like “oh wow! first or second?” I’m like “second” then she wished me luck as she left. I had 2 contractions while waiting to give my info at the front but I just leaned over and got through them. They were manageable at that time as long as I was leaned over and swaying my hips. My midwife was preparing my room and she finally came out and took one look at me and went “oh wow yup you are in labour!” ha. There was also a midwife student who would be helping out during my labour and delivery.

Midwife checked me and I was about 5cm dilated, 90% effaced. Contractions were about 5min apart, 60 seconds long, strong but manageable. I was able to handle them by leaning on the bed, swaying my hips while DH provided hard pressure to my back with his knuckles. Contractions were now 3 min apart and were getting more intense.

Around 5:30pm I decided to get into the tub to manage and try something different. The tub was really warm and had a few jets (I think only one worked though, boo) The first few contractions felt OK like the ones at home. After a few minutes though I kind of struggled to find a different position to cope, finally I decided to just sit up and recline a little with the jets at my feet. DH kissed me and caressed my forehead during them which helped. He also brought me a puree pouch to drink since all of a sudden I was starting to get pretty hungry (I hadn’t eaten since breakfast, woops, I did have waffles so they did keep me full for a while). I constantly felt thirsty too and it was very hot in there so eventually he applied a cold washcloth to my forehead. I kept thinking “I am stronger than my contractions” and how close I was to meeting my baby. Around 6pm I started to moan through the contractions, they were getting very heavy and I could feel myself going into transition. Midwife came in and told me to moan lower rather than high to help move the baby down.

My water broke about 20 minutes later as I was on hands and knees in the tub. I wished the tub was a little larger because I felt kind of crammed and my bump almost didn’t have enough room in that position and my hands were kind of going numb but maybe these were all good distractions to take me away from the intensity of the contractions. All of a sudden the contractions started to feel like I was falling off a cliff repeatedly and all my organs were dropping out of me. That’s when I knew I was really close because that is how I felt during my first labour before I had to push. Soon after there was some bleeding and I felt the urge to push. They got me out right away and she called another midwife for assistance. I wasn’t sure if I was 100% dilated at this point but I knew it was close. They checked me and I was fully dilated and said she could feel babies head. During the next few contractions I squirmed as they got ready for baby and kissed DH and held his hand in anticipation.

Around 6:35 I started to push with each contraction. I don’t remember how many I got through but the pushing was really intense this time and I found myself screaming to help put all my strength into them. They felt really productive as I could feel baby move down. When the head started to show they stretched and massaged my perineum to prevent tearing. At this point I was instructed to do quick little pushes until baby was ready to go and then to give the last few big pushes to get it out. Midwife warned me about feeling the ring of fire (I definitely felt it this time, like a sharp stinging/stretching feeling as if I got a few paper cuts down there and sat down in some alcohol! Not pleasant but quick). Out the baby came at 6:43pm.. I quickly saw when it was all the way out… a BOY!!? Then DH whispered to me to confirm “it’s a boy!” I actually couldn’t believe it since I was expecting another girl. I then cut the umbilical cord myself (DH wasn’t comfortable with doing it) and shortly after delivered the placenta. I have a minor tear on the left side so they had to stitch me up but it’s nothing major. They laid him on me skin to skin for some time, then when he was ready he led his way to his first nursing session which went really well and felt so natural.
We named him Alonso Domenico, born at 6:43pm on January 31st weighing 7lbs 10 oz!! :cloud9:

Here he is!
alonso3.jpg

Awesome birth story!! Such great baby that didn't keep his momma from waiting too long :dance:

After having my first naturally in the hospital I was hoping I could do the same for my second. Labour for my DD was about 8-9hrs from active labour to birth. This time around it was shorter at around 5 hours.

I was having really irregular contractions very early morning two days before I delivered (on the Friday), very mild but still significant. I was timing them and they were about 12-15 min apart. But then they became farther apart. I showered all excited, we got stuff ready I had a few more erratic contractions throughout the day but nothing consistent. The contractions continued the next night about every 20 min. They died off once I went to sleep and I was awakened in the middle of the night with pretty painful ones that were about 10-15 min apart, however once I got up and moved around they stopped. I was getting frustrated at this point with all these false starts. I had been losing my mucus plug slowly a few days before and that morning I got lost more, this time it was all pinkish –dark red. However the contractions had completely stopped. I was a little concerned that baby was in a bad position because of the irregular contractions and spent time on the ball, leaning, on all fours to help get things going.

Around 1pm the contractions started up again. Around 1:45 DH noticed them getting really close so we decided to time them although I was hesitant since I had so many false starts at this point! They were coming on pretty strong around 7 min lasting about 45 seconds. They then became closer around 5-6min, they were getting really intense and I wasn’t able to work through them. We called my Mom to warn her that she should start to head over to watch DD. We also paged my midwife because I knew these were getting stronger and I knew I was definitely in active labour. She said we would meet there at 4pm. My Mom got to the house around 3:45 and we packed everything up and gave her instructions on taking care of DD. I could not talk comfortably during contractions at this point and I had to lean over either the bed or my exercise ball to get through them. I wore a heated pad for the drive to the hospital even though it was only 10 min.

We got to the hospital just after 4pm. DH dropped me off at the front while he parked and I headed up to L&D. A woman on the elevator was all “are you in labour?” and I was like “Yup!” She’s like “oh wow! first or second?” I’m like “second” then she wished me luck as she left. I had 2 contractions while waiting to give my info at the front but I just leaned over and got through them. They were manageable at that time as long as I was leaned over and swaying my hips. My midwife was preparing my room and she finally came out and took one look at me and went “oh wow yup you are in labour!” ha. There was also a midwife student who would be helping out during my labour and delivery.

Midwife checked me and I was about 5cm dilated, 90% effaced. Contractions were about 5min apart, 60 seconds long, strong but manageable. I was able to handle them by leaning on the bed, swaying my hips while DH provided hard pressure to my back with his knuckles. Contractions were now 3 min apart and were getting more intense.

Around 5:30pm I decided to get into the tub to manage and try something different. The tub was really warm and had a few jets (I think only one worked though, boo) The first few contractions felt OK like the ones at home. After a few minutes though I kind of struggled to find a different position to cope, finally I decided to just sit up and recline a little with the jets at my feet. DH kissed me and caressed my forehead during them which helped. He also brought me a puree pouch to drink since all of a sudden I was starting to get pretty hungry (I hadn’t eaten since breakfast, woops, I did have waffles so they did keep me full for a while). I constantly felt thirsty too and it was very hot in there so eventually he applied a cold washcloth to my forehead. I kept thinking “I am stronger than my contractions” and how close I was to meeting my baby. Around 6pm I started to moan through the contractions, they were getting very heavy and I could feel myself going into transition. Midwife came in and told me to moan lower rather than high to help move the baby down.

My water broke about 20 minutes later as I was on hands and knees in the tub. I wished the tub was a little larger because I felt kind of crammed and my bump almost didn’t have enough room in that position and my hands were kind of going numb but maybe these were all good distractions to take me away from the intensity of the contractions. All of a sudden the contractions started to feel like I was falling off a cliff repeatedly and all my organs were dropping out of me. That’s when I knew I was really close because that is how I felt during my first labour before I had to push. Soon after there was some bleeding and I felt the urge to push. They got me out right away and she called another midwife for assistance. I wasn’t sure if I was 100% dilated at this point but I knew it was close. They checked me and I was fully dilated and said she could feel babies head. During the next few contractions I squirmed as they got ready for baby and kissed DH and held his hand in anticipation.

Around 6:35 I started to push with each contraction. I don’t remember how many I got through but the pushing was really intense this time and I found myself screaming to help put all my strength into them. They felt really productive as I could feel baby move down. When the head started to show they stretched and massaged my perineum to prevent tearing. At this point I was instructed to do quick little pushes until baby was ready to go and then to give the last few big pushes to get it out. Midwife warned me about feeling the ring of fire (I definitely felt it this time, like a sharp stinging/stretching feeling as if I got a few paper cuts down there and sat down in some alcohol! Not pleasant but quick). Out the baby came at 6:43pm.. I quickly saw when it was all the way out… a BOY!!? Then DH whispered to me to confirm “it’s a boy!” I actually couldn’t believe it since I was expecting another girl. I then cut the umbilical cord myself (DH wasn’t comfortable with doing it) and shortly after delivered the placenta. I have a minor tear on the left side so they had to stitch me up but it’s nothing major. They laid him on me skin to skin for some time, then when he was ready he led his way to his first nursing session which went really well and felt so natural.
We named him Alonso Domenico, born at 6:43pm on January 31st weighing 7lbs 10 oz!! :cloud9:

Here he is!
View attachment 926834

Wow congrats !

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back