Tell me about cramping in the first trimester.

LuBru

Reaction score
What was your experience? What is "normal"? What is worrying?

I had a bit of pink/brown spotting around 5 weeks but it has since stopped (I'm at 6 weeks now). However since then I have felt almost constant "mild" cramping (just twinges/noticeable feelings) and the more scary "moderate" cramping on and off.

I feel the "moderate" cramping pretty much every day, maybe twice a day or so. It feels exactly like cramps at the beginning of my menstrual period, like a deep slow kind of radiating cramp. Is that normal/common? :-k

My midwife kind of sounded concerned when I told her, but then said not to worry because there is no bleeding. I don't know what's normal and what's not as my past pregnancies all ended in miscarriage. They didn't have much cramping until the actual miscarriage occurred, but they did have days of brown spotting beforehand.

So far I have mild cramps similar to the start of menstrual cramps on and off every day, and then every once in a while I'll get a very brief sharp pain, often when I cough/sneeze or move too fast. I think the mild cramping in the uterus stretching, and the sharp pains are the ligaments. It's all normal as long as you don't have significant spotting with intense pain.

For the first couple of weeks I also felt the pinchy twinges over my ovaries that I'm used to feeling around ovulation time. Apparently the corpus luteum stays and sometimes additional cysts develop to assist the embryo in the early weeks. I felt it over both ovaries at first, so I'm wondering if I ovulated from both sides this cycle. My first scan is next Wednesday. So excited!

I had menstrual type cramps quite a bit from about 4 weeks to 6 1/2 weeks. After that the cramping pretty much subsided. I do get round ligament pain now and then and the occasional wave of menstrual cramping but nothing like in the beginning. I still get ovulation type pains around my left ovary (which is odd since the ultrasound showed that I o'd from my right ovary) so I don't think it is actually from my ovary, unless I have a cyst, but possibly from stretching. According to ultrasound baby implanted on the right side but likes to hang out in my left side and that is the side I feel the stretching.

I've had menstrual-like cramps on and off since 4 weeks. It just feels like it would a few days before my period, slow spreading cramps that fade fast. I also get some light twinges by my ovaries just like it feels when I'm ovulating. Things have calmed down a lot now that I am 6.5 weeks. I only get a slight pulling sensation from time to time. My doctor told me it's just my uterus expanding and not to worry about every sensation so I'm trying not to! My first scan is Thursday.

Thanks a lot ladies. I read online that cramping can be a warning sign of an impending miscarriage and it's just so hard to know what is normal vs. what is a worrying sign. I guess only time will tell. Really appreciate you sharing your experiences.

I had bad cramping and sharp pains in my sides for a few weeks after I found out I was pregnant then I had quite a bit of fresh red blood so I got a scan at the epu and they found a 7cm cyst which they say was the cause as baby was perfectly fine.

I've had menstrual cramping throughout all of my first trimesters. This is my fifth pregnancy, and I have 4 healthy kids. Like you said, the cramping was usually mild to moderate. At times, usually once or twice per pregnancy, I'd have very intense cramping and was terrified that something was wrong. I stayed up all night each time. Turns out it was caused by the constipation each of those times. Stay regular. Drink extra water. The cramping got worse for me at 9-10 weeks (I'm assuming a big growth spurt around that time), so be aware of this. I hope your pregnancy goes perfectly!

hmm, I have had mild cramps on and off most days so far (6 weeks today). Since they were mild I haven't been worried. I had some pretty intense cramping last night though and was sure I was having a miscarriage. There was no blood and it did fade fairly quickly. I feel fine today so I'm trying to stay positive and not worry.

I don't know. It's so hard to tell what is worrisome and what is normal. If nothing else you are not alone. I wish I could be of more help.

Hi Lubru... I have cramping on and off and the midwife said its normal. Apparently drinking water helps. The only time i had spotting there was no cramping so again it was apparently "normal". Its hard to really know and each case is different i guess, but of course given your history every twinge must be worrying. Really wish i had more helpful answers, but youre in my prayers and really hope you have a h&h 9 months

I had really sore cramps from bfp till around 11 weeks. I mean a dr pressed on my uterus during an appt and it HURT. It was really very sore indeed and pretty much constant. This is my 4th baby and I never had it before with the others, but in the end it meant nothing at all. I wouldn't worry too much.

When I was about 6 weeks I had these awful low down cramps, to the point I was doubling over and had to sit down.
I had miscarried around the same time before I had my son so I was convinced that was happening again but everything's been fine! Found the heartbeat at 8 weeks on the doppler so that's been my reassurance, I've had cramps at least once a week from 4 weeks especially when I haven't drunk enough x

I had similar cramping and light spotting around 4 - 6 weeks, then it went away.

The cramping has started up again a little over the last few days (I'm 9 weeks now), but no bleeding at all. I figured it was the uterus stretching, so hopefully nothing to worry about!

I have cramping on and off at the moment, but seems worse after I've eaten for some reason.

I'm having some very moderate cramping this week I'm 12weeks. It seems worse if a morning which i believe could be down to no having enough to drink throughout the night x

Ive been noticing the cramps more now after reading the "stay hydrated" advice, and im actually not sure its worked for me. I get cramps every few days, but they dont feel like cramps exactly, just lower abdominal pain and discomfort. The nurse i spoke to said its all normal so hopefully it is.

Cramps are normal. I had then at the beginning and asked my hubby to go and get some sanitary pads as I could have sworn AF was on her way!

Then cramps carried on until at least 9 weeks I'd say. I still feel things but it's just my body adjusting

Stay positive!

Totally normal to have cramping, like dull period pains. Quite a good sign from experience!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->