Tell me about... metformin

BellaBoo0512

Reaction score
Me and hubby are TTC#2 we have a son who will turn 4 in April. I stopped taking BCP January 2016 and didn't get a period for months. After going to the GP and being sent for a scan and tests I have been diagnosed with PCOS.

I was referred to the fertility clinic and had my first appointment with the consultant on Thursday and he has put me on metformin. He has told me to take 500mg a day for a week then 1000mg for a week then 1500mg from then on. He said if I'm not pregnant within 3 months then he will put me on clomid.

I was on metformin once before when I was pregnant as I had gestational diabetes but don't know much about it.

What does metformin actually do? Does it help to get pregnant?

Any information will be gratefully received :)

Some women with PCOS don't ovulate because they are insulin resistant. If this is the case, Metformin can reduce the insulin resistance and you can ovulate on your own. From what I've read, the chance of a BFP on metformin alone is about 6% per cycle.

Metformin can make you feel ill so try and take with food. Eat a low carb diet and stay close to the toilet.

I conceived but miscarried on my first cycle on metformin. Now 8 months later (plus 2 cycles of Clomid) I'm still not pregnant. My doctor didn't really rate metformin.

Good luck

I was on 1500mg metformin for a year- didn't do anything for my cycles even when combined with clomid.

The consultant at the hospital said he doesn't rate it and never prescribes it and said the new evidence is that it only helps if our BMI is between 22-25.

My GP who prescribed it for me originally said it doesn't improve the take home baby rate but can help shorten a cycle giving you one extra cycle a year so another chance to conceive.

With all this info in mind, after 1 year with my GP blessing I decided to stop taking it.

For me, metformin made a huge difference. It's definitely the reason I have my DD now. I don't have polycystic ovaries but I do have insulin resistance and my cycles were messed up as a result. After 2 years of trying with no success and ruling out other problems I was put on metformin. My cycles improved immediately, suddenly they were textbook and my hormone levels and follicles were much better. I also lost weight with almost no effort for the the first time ever. Ended up losing 11kg in 5 months. Got pregnant the 5th month after starting metformin.

Definitely start slowly and take it with food, that can help reduce the side effects, although I never had any problems taking it. It is definitely worth trying if you have PCOS as many women with that also have insulin resistance. it's not a magic pill but it does work for some women so I highly recommend giving it a try for a few months.

I have been taking 2000 mg of Metformin for going on a year. I did get pregnant within 2 months of starting it.. I have actually been pregnant 3 times (3rd time right now) since starting it.. 2 times have resulted in miscarriage not related to the medication at all. It has helped stabalize my weight so I am in a healthy weight now. It made my long cycles shorter and more regular. It can be VERY hard on the stomach.. always take it with food, and a lot of water.. it can have side effects in the beginning but stick with it, it does get better! good luck!

Thank you for your replies! I'm sorry that it hasn't helped some of you. So far I have been on it a week on one a day. I have less of an appetite and keep getting stomach cramps. Today I have to increase to two tablets a day. According to my tracker app I'm on CD29. I'm not expecting to get pregnant straight away but will wait patiently and see :)

When I was TTC my son it took 11 months and had 2 miscarriages before falling pregnancy successfully a 3rd time. Apparently I'd had PCOS all along but I didn't know at the time.

Good luck everyone x

I take 1000 mg Metformin but tbh am not totally regular with it as I skip it if I'm going to be out of the house for a long period.It affects my stomach as others said.

It regulated my cycles at first but not I have some 30 day cycles and some 45 day cycles so kind of all over. My goal is start taking is properly and see what happens.

I've been on it 10 days now and I'm on CD33 of my cycle. I've got a period tracker app on my phone and it says my average cycle is 46 days. Still no AF. I thought she was going to show up last week as I was getting cramps but that could of been ovulation cramps or maybe that's just wishful thinking x

Just had an appt with reproductive endocrinology and my Dr. also prescribed Metformin, starting at 500mg for a week and increasing to 1000mg week 2 and 1500mg week 3. I do not have PCOS, but my cycles are irregular, so she prescribed them in hopes my cycles will become regular and we can predict ovulation.

Starting week 2 today. I did feel nauseated during the first couple days, but it's not so bad now.

Good luck!! I hope it works. I hate irregular cycles!

I started taking Met in June of last year, so it's been about 6 months. I saw a change in my cycles almost immediately. I was having longish cycles and mid-cycle spotting for about 5 months or so. After the first month, the spotting stopped and gradually my cycles have gotten shorter to where they're a normal 28/29 days now. I take 2000 mg/day.

The only draw back is the gastro symptoms. Most people say they went away after 2 weeks or so of adjusting to the highest dose but I continue to have chronic diarrhea every day, all day. I def wouldn't be taking this medicine if I didn't have an important end goal.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->