Telling family--help?

Camia

Reaction score
I'm currently 6 weeks pregnant with #1. My boyfriend and I had agreed we definitely wanted kids but not quite yet due to a lot of things going on at once right now and not being sure we were ready. We were talking about ttc maybe next year. So this pregnancy was definitely not planned and a total surprise, but we've gotten over the shock and are really happy and excited, even though there's a lot of stress and worry because we don't really know what we're doing and we've got so much on our plates.

We've told a couple of my very close friends, for the sake of me needing immediate support, and his parents, for the sake of him knowing we had their support. They've all been fantastic about it. His parents are thrilled. We don't want to tell a ton of people yet but I do feel like some of my immediate family should know sooner rather than later. I tend to see them frequently and I've already been pretty nervous around them and I'm sure it'll only get worse. So better to rip off the bandaid before they start to think something is up, right?

The issue is I'm honestly terrified to tell them. I'm significantly younger than they'd like, we aren't married, they don't really support my career already and are frequently pushing me to find a "real" job and keep everything else to the side. I'm sure throwing a baby into the mix will just become another reason on the list of why I should, no matter how well-off we are financially. My older sister was caught in a tough situation when she was just a little younger than me, unexpectedly pregnant with a minimum wage job, nowhere to live, and the father refusing to be in the picture, and has struggled a lot to find a stable situation ever since, so I'm sure they'd be worried I'd end up going through the same thing. They really like my boyfriend and he's 100% present and involved and excited, nowhere near running off, but I'm pretty sure they'll still be really unhappy with him. While I don't think they'd be so upset they'd cut off from me or anything, I'm pretty positive it's going to at least be a disappointment. I'm the only kid who never got into trouble growing up, the only one who went through school with straight As...basically the easy, needed no parental intervention middle child. I know I'm an adult but I guess I still I don't want to disappoint them. I want them to be excited for a grandkid but I'm about 98% sure they won't be, or at least not for a while.

You're grown honey, it's literally none of their business when you start your family. Young or not, it's not like you're 12. Your career is another thing that's nothing to do with them. Our parents are supposed to guide us, not decide our lives for us. We don't need their permission because we don't belong to them. Especially once we hit adulthood.
Maybe wait until you're 12 weeks if you feel their reaction may be negative, then it's maybe best to wait a while? If they're the judgemental type, I wouldn't feel guilty about waiting. Good luck xx

Tell them when you're ready. Plenty of people wait until through the 1st trimester to be in the "safe" zone so very reasonable if you choose to wait (even if you have otherreasons to wait).

When you do tell them, show your excitement and don't let them rain on your parade!

It's none of their business. You are an adult and it's your choice. I hope that they will share in your excitement :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->