Temping... Am I wasting my time doing it this way? Someone please enlighten me!

Aesa

Reaction score
Alright, so I've never temped to track ovulation before. I don't have a basal thermometer.

I am part of a parenting forum with several women who temp in it and I asked in there if a regular thermometer would work, and they all told me that it would work just fine.

So I started temping on CD7 of this cycle.. I know it's best to start on CD1, but I started on CD7 anyways just for the hell of it.

The type of thermometer I have is a temporal kind... Where you put it to your temple and it reads your temperature. I have tested it against a regular digital thermometer before on my son and always gotten the same result (or very close) so I assume this temporal thermometer is accurate.

The first day I temped, I got 97.4. The second day, 97.3. Looking good so far.. Well this morning I temped and got a 98.3 and I thought, "That can't be right?" so I temped again and got a 97.6 right after that... So then, confused, I temped a 3rd time and got a 97.4.... So now I am worried that this thermometer is not accurate, or that I'm wasting my time by temping with this type of thermometer...

What are your thoughts? Since I am new to temping, I don't know how much of an increase I can expect is "normal" from day to day. I have been reviewing the charts of other women and have noticed that there can be somewhat of a significant difference from one day to the next and that it doesn't necessarily mean anything... SOmeone please shed some light on this for me!

I started out with my normal fever thermometer, then bought a drugstore bbt, and neither of them worked for measuring my basal temp at ALL. Not only did both of them pick favorite temperature readings to tell me day after day, if I stuck both in my mouth at the same time they often registered temps as far as .6 degrees different, and both would swing wildly. So I bought a BD digital basal thermometer (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0HGNSH6G436JHSP2AY6C) which is wonderful, my tempeatures actually make sense nowand I'm not guessing if I did or didn't O anymore!

I would definitely get a different thermometer. If not a basal at least a regular digital. One that you can use orally or vaginally. Basal ones are better because they usually give a more accurate temp to the hundredth degree. Temping can be very stressful without the added worry of whether the thermometer is working right. It may take a couple months before you get it right so don't worry and try not to stress too much about it. Stress can throw off ovulation and that would only defeat the purpose.

I agree I would get a bbt as they are more sensitive. Like previously stated it may take a couple of months to get used to it but you will gain valuable info from it. Also be sure to check your temp the same time every day before getting out of bed.....good luck to you

I use to temp with a basal one and would get erratic readings , when i contacted the health group that supplied it they told me that because i slept with my mouth open it would cause my temps to differ ?! i blamed their faulty thermometer so they sent me another , but also got 1 from my local chemist and yip sure enough same thing happened again , but heard so many good things from ladies that temp and chart they are defo worth having a shot x

If you are getting crazy temps and you sleep with your mouth open then you need to temp vaginally. I dont do it this way but I have heard that it is easier than by the mouth. Just put it in there at the same position and go back to sleep...haha!

Normal digital thermometers are not near as sensitive as BBTs. I did a little test run and used a very NICE vicks thermometer, and my cheap $12 CVS bbt.. completely different results. My BBT was much more consistant. They also say to only use your oral or vaginal temps as the others aren't as accurate. IF you get a new cycle, I really really suggest getting the CVS bbt. There are some faulty ones out there that like to favor temps (like the pink walgreens/walmart) I know the BD brand bbt and the CVS are accurate from a thread on BNB. xx

OK thanks, I had had a few temps that were the exact same from day to day. (only 2 though) and thought something might be up with it but never really put too much more in to it. I have the Walmart pink one. If I dont start here in the next few days I will go get one from CVS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->