Tens machine?

beckynbump25

mommy to 1 an expecting
Reaction score
hiya does any one know if the tens machine does any good during labor i've just seen them half price at Lloyd's pharmacy and wondering whether it is worth getting one or not:S xx

i wouldnt know as this is my first but apparently they are crap! my midwife discussed pain relief with my on sunday and said in her opinion tens wouldn't even supress period pains, so if you get them bad i wouldnt waste your money!

i used one when i had nicole and tbh didnt make abit of difference to me!!

I don't know whether they're good or not but I asked the midwife if you can use the normal tens machines (cos my mum has the one from Lloyds I could borrow) and she said you need them to have 4 pads and the normal ones only have 2!

if you didnt want to buy one you could rent one i think boots do them for six weeks for about £26 ish

Yeah I think you need a different one specifically for labour. I was in 2 minds wether to get one because people had said they didn't help them-but have rented one anyway-anything worth a shot if it helps!!

i've just seen on the ad it says they're not suitable for pregnancy and labour. i was gona get one, but i cant be arsed cos i know a lot of people that said they didnt do any good!

humm not very good reviews then lol
don't think i will be getting one after all might be worth a shot i think ill ask around and see what other people think of them first from experiance. x

I have hired one which is for labour. My mw recommended and also my auntie, but she said they have to be used literally right from the start or they are not worth bothering with. So as soon as contractions are regular that you think it's labour and you've had a bath or what ever get it on asap.

I paid £23 to hire mine for 5 weeks. I'm game to give anything a go if it may help the first stages be more barable.

I had a good experience of using a tens machine but I guess it differs from person to person. I did end up having an epi, pethedine and gas and air too but I was in labour for a week and the tens did me good for about 5 days of that.

BTW I hired it from Boots before and this time my MW lent me one for free so it's worth asking her if she has any.

The NHS in my area lend them to expectant mothers free of charge so I have my name down for one. My midwife said that people tend to either think they are wonderful and swear by them or think they're absolutely useless...bit of a marmite product.

Lx

I loved mine!! It got me thru the early stages really well.

I'm gonna sell mine on here for anyone wanting to take a cheap punt!!

x

For it to be any effect you have to get it on early enough to build up the endorphins in the brain. I had mine on from the minute labour started and managed for 6hrs with nothing else. It helps make sure the labour pains stay at a certain threshold for a while. They aren't the best for first babies but they do work for while. It is always worth a try as you don't get any other pain relief while at home xxx

Hi hun I had one with my daughter (now 5 years old) I got to 6 cm dilated with just the tens machines worked a treat.

I just hired one (saw an advert in the back of pregnancy and birth magazine)

Kasey xx

There are some great tens machines on Love-Baby have a look and see what you think.

My MW swears by them - as long as they are placed correctly -she said the main reason don't get on with them is due to positioning?
My Friend used one for her first and she stayed at home for 20 hours and when she got to hospital she was 5cms already!
I have just bought one as she was so convincing on how well it worked! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->