Tens machine's?

crownest

Reaction score
Hi Has anyone tried a tens machine during delivery, what did you think ?.

I have severe SPD but I'd like to try a med free labour this time even though it is likely I'll be induced. I got a epidural last time because I was so tired and I thought I had a long time to go not because of pain so I'm thinking of trying a tens machine.

I had one with my second, I also had bad SPD but I didn't find it to help much past very early contractions. I had a warm bath in the hospital which helped for a bit then gas and air which I knew from my first didn't help me but it really helped me focus on my breathing. :)

I used one with my first and although it didn't take the pain away much it was a distraction. Focusing on the button gave me something to do and I used it up until I was approx 7cm.

I’ve used a tens machine twice. Because you use it from the very beginnings of labour I think it’s difficult to truly say if it does much for the pain?! If that makes any sense! I do think they serve as a great distraction though. If you think it would be a positive thing then I defo think it’s worth a try x

I used one. I didn't think it was doing much...till I took it off to get in the bath! Then I realised it had been dialing the pain down a notch or two. I had avery long labour that took a long time to properly establish so it helped me as was at home during so much of it without access to Gas and Air or hospital drugs.

My doula says the tens machine works well for early labour. I'm planning to use one during my labour

I tried one last time it didn't do much for me and honestly just annoyed me. Midwife said they 'work' by dulling the nerve signals from your spine to your brain, but they don't numb them, your contractions will be half as painful at best.

Hope it works for you! I was disappointed personally.

I think if you have one it is worth a try. TENS units pulse the muscles and shock nerves into spasm. I agree, probably worth it for just the distraction alone. Might also help keep your back loose by keeping that good blood flow stimulation going so you don't tense up as much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->