Terrified New Parents :(

Young1stMom

Reaction score
My husband is in the military and for the last few months has been on a medical chit excusing him from regular duties due to a dislocated shoulder and broken knuckle. He just got off his chit yesterday and has been cleared for regular duty and we have been told he is being sent out to the field for 2 weeks till around June 7 this thursday. I know im only 34 + 3 weeks so i still have time to go but we are both horrified that i will go into labour while he is gone. This is our first baby, we have had no complications what so ever (knock on wood), no bleeding, no trips to the hospital, and up until this week i was seeing the OB once a month (now i see her every two weeks) and the appointments are maybe 5 minutes long, in and out kinda thing. Im from edmonton alberta and I even drove 14 hours to vancouver bc, stayed for 4 days and drove back for a family emergency last week.
Anyway, you always hear that your first usually always go over the due date but amongst my circle of friends, 4 of them who have had summer babies have all had them around 36 weeks...
ugh...:sad2:

I had my daughter at 36+1. It was a complete shock when my waters broke and I was on my own. My DH was in another country on business.

My parents took me to the hospital and my DH got to the hospital after my LO was born. I know that's not the reply you wanted but my point is that I managed.

Before giving birth, the idea of not having my DH with me terrified me and he wasn't planning on travelling internationally after 36 weeks just in case.

Whatever happens you will get through it and have a beautiful baby to show for it.

Do you have family or friends you could rely on as a back up plan, just in case? That's all you can do really. Unfortunately the baby will come whenever it wants to and you just have to hope that it stays put for the next few weeks :)

Good to know theres others out there.
My parents are an hour and a half from me so ill be bymself until they get there unfortunately.
I know we will manage but yes its a terrifying thought not having him or anyone around for the first couple hours. I do have a friend who actually lives in the place above me haha and her and her bf will be around until DH gets back. So i wont be entirely alone.
If you dont mind me asking was your husband depressed or upset when he showed up that he couldnt be there? I understand that everyone would be upset missing the birth of their child but did it overly effect anything?

That's great that you have a friend so close by! Yes he was very upset for a while but it didn't affect how he was with me or our daughter. If anything it brought us closer together. Once you get your newborn home, you start a new chapter of your lives together. I think as soon as he realised that him not being there had had no effect on our daughter then he was fine with it. Xx

We were military when my first 2 were born. DH was gone until on a ship until 37 weeks. Even if I had baby early he couldn't have come home. It was scary! I know how you feel. Luckily she was born at 41 weeks so we had plenty of time. Hope it works like that for you! (he left out again when she was a few weeks old and was gone pretty much the whole time until she was 8 months.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->