Tests Done During Pregnancy....Help!!!

kset

Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

My doctor gave me a brochure of all my screening testing options during pregnancy....I'm so confused and so is my husband :wacko: I have no idea what test(s) to choose if any at all.

There are 5 options:

1) First trimester screen only
2) Quad Screen (second trimester screen only)
3) Serum integrated screen (first and second trimesters)
4) Full integrated screen (first and second trimesters)
5) Sequential screen consisting of two parts

Even after reading the brochure, I'm still lost as to what the heck the descriptions mean....has anyone had any of these screenings done, or could recommend which ones (if any) to have done? Because I'm just ready to say screw it and don't bother having any testing done because I don't understand what any of these are for especially since we're keeping the baby either way.

Didn't want to read and run but I'm afraid I can't help as we have just one test they do here in the uk that is the nuchal scan then just the 20 week scan which looks for any abnormalities in babies growth.
Hope someone can help though x

I'm sorry, I'm going to be no help either. I can't believe your doctor didn't explain what these options are and go over why they would do them! I'd give the doctor's office a call and ask for some help navigating the brochure if I were you.

Best of luck.

I had first and second trimester screenings. Your first trimester screening is the nuechal (sp?) translucency at about 12-13 weeks, this checks the fluid levels in babies neck. More fluid=higher risk of Down syndrome. Your second trimester screening checks liver/kidney/bowel function at around 20 weeks. There are more invasive tests but those are usually only done if a screening comes up abnormal. I would opt for all non-invasive screenings. :)

I don't understand why he would expect you to choose the test. My doctor just ticked all the tests i need all i need to do is show up at the lab with my form. Maybe someone might have a better answer.

I just did the first trimester nuchal screening - it's done b/w 11 - 13 weeks and gives you odds [will not tell you yes or no] of downs syndrome, and trisomy 13 and 18 I think. They do an ultrasound to see if the baby has a nasal bone and check the fluid behind the babies neck. They then prick your finger and use a formula including ultrasound measurements, mother's blood, age and a few other factors. They tell you if you have a 1/5 risk or 1/5000 but there is a 10% error rate. Based on this test you can elect to have a more invasive test like CVS or Amnio but both of those carry a slight risk of miscarriage where the nuchal is completely non-invasive.

Good luck.

The doctor should explain all these tests to you or you should ask him/her too. My Midwife went over everyone with me and I opted out of some and had others. I don't remember the names of what I did and didn't do, she just explained this test checks for this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->