• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Thanksgiving Stress

brandi91

Reaction score
Hey, everyone!

I really need help navigating this. I go through this every year. I know this isn’t second trimester related, but I am in my second trimester, so that counts, right?!

The holidays stress me out beyond belief. Mine and my hubby’s family are both local. Some would say this makes it easier. I personally find that it makes it more difficult to equally divide time with family members during the holidays!

For example, MIL is cooking on Thanksgiving Day. I politely asked my parents if we could do our Thanksgiving another day to accommodate. They were fine with that. MIL said my family could join on Thanksgiving (this usually entails my brother and parents). Except that this year, my brother has a girlfriend living with him that would need to come and my grandmother moved here, so that’s 5 extra people total. I asked my MIL if that was okay because obviously we didn’t want to leave those two out, and I assured her that if it was too many people it was fine and they’d understand. She said to have them come and it was good, but hubby told me she seemed a little stressed about accommodating that many extra. And now I just feel kind of bad because I feel like my family is imposing on their family Thanksgiving. I know they were invited, but still. I feel like my MIL is just being nice.

We will go through the same thing on Christmas. Hubby’s entire family usually comes and I love spending time with them and really enjoy the big family setting. I still spend time with my parents, too, but I feel like they get their feelings hurt if I only spend a few hours there, even with it just being the few of us.

I feel like this stress will only get worse as our baby arrives and we try to spend time with all family members. How do you all navigate this? Am I stressing myself out for no reason?

Well.. I think both sides will just have to accept you have to split time with family.

If you spend more time with one this year then next year spend more time with the other.

I have a huge family and when my great grandparents were alive we had a huge family Thanksgiving and Christmas. It wasn't uncommon for family to be there for a few hours then leave to go see more family.

Why don't you switch off holidays each year. One year is thanksgiving with inlaws and christmas with your family, and the next the opposite. That way you don't need to worry about dividing time, which can be stressful.

Yes, I would swap each year and they will have to accept that :)

We have the same issue ours live close. For thanksgiving we do lunch at one and dinner at the other. For Christmas we do Christmas Eve with mine and Christmas Day with his. We generally pretty full still by the time we go to dinner at his families but we still eat a small amount so no one notices! Last year we needed a break and invited everyone to our house for thanksgiving, my family showed his did not so we didn't see them but it was there choice as we live very close (like 4 blocks away)! Try to enjoy your day today, his mom will be fine you can just offer to help her in the kitchen with setting up or anything she may need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->