Thatcher is dead

But she also did some very good stuff, she turned around a country which was on its knees by making wholly unpopular decisions and doing what needed to be done. Had she not taken the decision to cut back on our heavy industry, does anyone really believe it would still be running and doing so very successfully? The reason it went was because it was sucking the tax payer dry and the reality was it was not making enough money to support the large numbers of people working in it. Of course that is sad for those who lost those jobs, for communities which lost an industry, but is it up to the tax payer to keep those communities afloat. In the reports after Thatcher's death, I kept seeing reports from old mining communities "left devastated by Thatcher" Comment after comment from locals there saying "she" had put them on the scrapheap, and had put their children on the scrapheap, and their children's children. I find it incredible to think that three generations have been unable to find meaningful employment, through two major booms. That a community cannot diversify, that a local council was unable to attract new business to the area, as so many others have. And frankly, if in 3 generations you lived in an area with no opportunity, wouldn't you just move? What it comes down to, is the very people Thatcher was against were those who would not make the effort to help themselves. In my experience of the Thatcher years, if you met it half way, the Government would help you along.
I have to disagree with everything you've said here, but especially the bolded bits:

The country was not "on its knees". Britain was a major industrial power. This is a myth that has been perpetuated by supporters of Thatcher who are looking to quantify the destruction she caused by saying it was the only way to act. People suggest her way, removing the livelihoods of millions of people with no contingency plan, was the only way. Well it wasn't. Look beyond our borders at any neighbouring countries with similar economic histories if you want to see how it can be done. Her policies weren't called "scorched earth" for nothing.

Half the mines and steelworks were profit-making and not "sucking the taxpayer dry" (like state buyouts of failing banks and privatisation of public amenities) and it was perfectly normal (and still is normal to this day) for countries' governments to subsidise industry. What do you think happened to Rover? Why do you think Siemens was given the contract to build 1,000 new Thameslink carriages instead of the Derby Bombardier plant, losing 1,400 British jobs? Her legacy has been to completely abandon heavy industry and any interest in British jobs, a much more stable source of income than financial services and a lot more crisis-proof, and this legacy continues to this day. There is nothing positive about that.

I don't think people are fully aware of the personal nature of Thatcher's war on working people (and coincidentally largely Labour voters). Why would she help communities diversify? (She didn't) Why should people be forced to move from places their families have lived for generations because of the awful decisions of one woman?

I'm afraid Thatcher was against a lot of people, and it wasn't as simple as people who "didn't want to help themselves". How are you supposed to help yourself when you are supporting a family of four and have your livelihood removed? Take your kids out of school? Move to the nearest big city leaving hundreds of ghost towns behind? Subsidised housing? (She managed to get rid of most of that) Three years of uni? Entrepreneurial spirit?

The woman sold the family silver and I hope that her particularly nasty brand of politics is burnt with her.

but the country was on its knees, I mean i wasnt alive but my parents have told me about the 3 day weeks and strikes

the unions were striking every 5 seconds

but the country was on its knees, I mean i wasnt alive but my parents have told me about the 3 day weeks and strikes

You seem to base your entire view of Thatcher on what your parents did/said. Of course that's part of anyone's experience, but it's not the whole picture.

You've also missed my point about other methods of rectifying the situation that didn't involve removing workers' rights and a large part of the country's GDP.

You seem to base your entire view of Thatcher on what your parents did/said. Of course that's part of anyone's experience, but it's not the whole picture.

You've also missed my point about other methods of rectifying the situation that didn't involve removing workers' rights and a large part of the country's GDP.

I do read the news too but I prefer going on option of someone who lived in the south wales valleys at the time in one of the most deprived areas

you would think that they would share the option of thatchers government being totally rubbish but they dont, they got on with their lives and made something out of themselves

what would been the other ways of stopping the country declining further

I do read the news too but I prefer going on option of someone who lived in the south wales valleys at the time in one of the most deprived areas

you would think that they would share the option of thatchers government being totally rubbish but they dont, they got on with their lives and made something out of themselves
South Wales is one of the EU's largest recipients of poverty funding.

I also remember being given Merthyr Tydfil as a case study of social decline in humanities at school.

The effects are still there and will be for a long time unless something miraculous happens.

This article looks at the effect Thatcher really had on Britain, both the good and the bad
https://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/apr/12/thatcher-britain

I think this last paragraph is pretty telling though - the situation we are in today stems from her policies, from the selling of council houses which raised house prices, to the deregulation of the banking sector.

Whether defined against her or not, the challenges faced by the coalition government – and the circumstances that brought them to be – almost all had their roots in the government of Thatcher. And that legacy affects millions of people every day.

All things successive governments have had the opportunity to put right and have not.

Oh the successive governments definitely shouldn't have continued her policies but that doesn't take away from the fact that it was her policies that led to these problems. She didn't fix the economy, she made it worse in the end.

She could have provided funding for other growing industries, like high-tech machinery components and luxury goods. She could have invested in British engineering long-term. She could have attracted other industries. There are so many things she could have done but didn't.

The thing that gets me is some people seem to believe her policies, ie stripping the country of its actual, tangible assets and providing a playground for coked-up bankers without regulation, didn't work. We're in a rubbish situation and the economic crisis has shown how vulnerable Britain is to financial crashes because our economy is based on something so fragile. The rich get tax breaks because governments don't want to offend the bankers and at the same time, the taxpayer asked to bail them out when they invariably screw up. I would rather my taxes went towards subsidising jobs for people whose work actually benefits the country.

She could have provided funding for other growing industries, like high-tech machinery components and luxury goods. She could have invested in British engineering long-term. She could have attracted other industries. There are so many things she could have done but didn't.

The thing that gets me is some people seem to believe her policies, ie stripping the country of its actual, tangible assets and providing a playground for coked-up bankers without regulation, didn't work. We're in a rubbish situation and the economic crisis has shown how vulnerable Britain is to financial crashes because our economy is based on something so fragile. The rich get tax breaks because governments don't want to offend the bankers and at the same time, the taxpayer asked to bail them out when they invariably screw up. I would rather my taxes went towards subsidising jobs for people whose work actually benefits the country.

The country also went to shit when we had a lot of industry? The 1970s sound a lot worse than the 2010s.

Everybody talks about Thatchers time but nobody is really talking about the bit before, the time just before she got into power, looking at the reports the country was hardly in a good place.

Everybody talks about Thatchers time but nobody is really talking about the bit before, the time just before she got into power, looking at the reports the country was hardly in a good place.
I'd be interested to hear, as I still haven't seen any evidence in this thread of the supposed hell the country was going through and how Thatcher's scorched earth policies were the only way.

I don't know much about the 1970s but I know they had electricity cut outs, and the winter of discontent. I don't know a lot but I know my parents don't look back favourably on the 1970s. I don't think anyone is saying Thatcher's way was the only way but something had to be done, and she was voted in so she did what she wanted to do.

She did do those things. She created 37 enterprise zones at a cost of £300 million. These were designed to attract new businesses to derelict areas. She gave tax breaks to smaller businesses and introduced a lot of incentives to help people re-train, find new work, or start a business. And not just in the South East. There are many areas of Scotland which shifted their focus and are now really successful.

It surprises me you actually think we had those tangible assets in the first place. Did you ever go in a train in the late 70s? Probably not because it never turned up. If you were lucky enough to find one running to your destination and could pay the ridiculous cost, you were treated to an old dirty carriage on a train which would likely break down on the poor infrastructure and be incredibly late. None of the public industries were running efficiently, hampered by massive inflation and poor currency exchange. The manufacturing industry was already declining, long before she came to power, as with everything else cheaper imports made it unviable. To me, she didn't sell off the silver, she sold our stake in a declining industry, before it became worthless to us. These assets would not still be on our books as they would be defunct.

Thatcher did not de-regulate the banking system. She deregulated the financial markets to help the London Stock Exchange compete on the world stage. She also helped smash the old boy network in the city which allowed those who previously could not, enter the trading floor. I struggle to see why this was a bad thing. What has gone on since has been because of a systematic refusal of the FSA (and similar regulatory bodies across the world) to do what they were set up to do.

Oh the successive governments definitely shouldn't have continued her policies but that doesn't take away from the fact that it was her policies that led to these problems. She didn't fix the economy, she made it worse in the end.

That's like saying the bloke who invented the bomb is responsible for everyone killed by one. If her policies were so bad, so wrong, so worthless, so damaging, in the almost 30 years since she came out of power, they would have been changed. Blair and Brown could have introduced more regulation, but of course, they were in the pocket of the bankers too. So much so it were They who removed bank regulation which many would say was far more responsible for today's crisis than anything Thatcher did.

I think this goes for both sides. Many of the myths surrounding Thatcher and the hatred that goes with them, I see being spouted by people too young to even know who she was or understand what she did. I think it comes down to the fact she did great for some and badly for others, just as every Prime Minister has always done. One of Thatcher's problems was in breaking the stranglehold of the unions, which I really do believe needed to happen, she created a very vocal opponent. She didn't remove worker's rights, she didn't disband the Unions, anyone who has ever worked in a Unionised industry is well aware they still have a fair amount of power and do protect their workers. What they have to do now, is work within a stricter set of rules. Under today's rules Scargill would never have been able to do what he did in calling a strike when a minority of his members voted for it. Is that such a bad thing? I'm not sure anyone, from any political angle, thinks the miner's strike was a good idea.

South Wales is one of the EU's largest recipients of poverty funding.
And yet still the people have been unwilling or unable to take advantage of that and turn the area around.

The country was not "on its knees". Britain was a major industrial power. This is a myth that has been perpetuated by supporters of Thatcher who are looking to quantify the destruction she caused by saying it was the only way to act.
Inflation was in the 20s. That alone shows the economy wasn't doing well. Britain was dubbed the sick man of Europe. We were not doing well and one of the major reasons for this was the over inflated demands for pay from the Unions. When successive governments tried to bring this under control, the unions went on strike and cause major problems.

Half the mines and steelworks were profit-making and not "sucking the taxpayer dry" (like state buyouts of failing banks and privatisation of public amenities) and it was perfectly normal (and still is normal to this day) for countries' governments to subsidise industry. What do you think happened to Rover? Why do you think Siemens was given the contract to build 1,000 new Thameslink carriages instead of the Derby Bombardier plant, losing 1,400 British jobs? Her legacy has been to completely abandon heavy industry and any interest in British jobs, a much more stable source of income than financial services and a lot more crisis-proof, and this legacy continues to this day. There is nothing positive about that.
If half the mines were profit making, that leave half that weren't. It was never Thatcher's intention to close them all down, but she discovered she could not make the changes to the industry which were required because of the Unions. The Government did continue, and still does, to subsidise formerly public companies. It might not be wholly successful, it might not be absolutely the best way of doing it, but to pretend these industries were being well run and were a huge asset to the Nation is definitely re-writing history.

I don't think people are fully aware of the personal nature of Thatcher's war on working people (and coincidentally largely Labour voters). Why would she help communities diversify? (She didn't) Why should people be forced to move from places their families have lived for generations because of the awful decisions of one woman?
If there is one thing Thatcher could never be accused of, it is "being personal" If she was against working people (and labour voters) why encourage them to do better through things like the Right to Buy? What Thatcher was against was those who looked to the Government to solve all their problems, or subsidise their existence. The very people the media try to get us to love to hate today.

I'm afraid Thatcher was against a lot of people, and it wasn't as simple as people who "didn't want to help themselves". How are you supposed to help yourself when you are supporting a family of four and have your livelihood removed? Take your kids out of school? Move to the nearest big city leaving hundreds of ghost towns behind? Subsidised housing? (She managed to get rid of most of that) Three years of uni? Entrepreneurial spirit?
Yes, that is exactly what you are supposed to do. You get on out there and make things happen. My parents moved 600 miles to live with their parents, with 3 children, taking us all out of school. My father used his own skills to start his own business, after going abroad for 3 years to get us back on our feet. His business now has a turnover of almost a million pounds a year and employs a number of people. He has no qualifications, he didn't have rich parents behind him, he got off his arse and decided he wasn't going to sit about and wait for the Government to do it all for him. His business was undoubtedly helped in the early days by the Government incentives Thatcher offered. She didn't "get rid" of Social housing. We lived in a council house for 5 years in the mid 80s, they weren't nearly as hard to come by as they are now. Of course selling them off and not building more helped create that problem, but Major didn't build enough, Blair didn't build enough, Brown didn't build enough. Is it worse that she created a problem and perhaps didn't forsee the problem, or that successive governments have refused to solve it when it became apparent?

The woman sold the family silver and I hope that her particularly nasty brand of politics is burnt with her.
And this is where I have the problem with the whole rejoicing of her death. Is it changing anything? Will her politics be "burnt with her?" In three generations people still blame her for everything from the banking crisis to the weather, she is apparently responsible for absolutely everything that goes wrong today (and yet bizarrely not responsible at all for any of the good times we've had) If no-one fixed in in three generations, who will fix it in six. Will we have another thirty years, or sixty years, or ninety years where we blame Thatcher for everything? Her being dead changes nothing, and will change nothing, except for her family who I feel wholly sorry for, having to hear all about parties and celebrations.

As I've said before, by all means disagree with her politics, but rejoicing her death is in very poor tasted (not that I'm suggesting that's what you are doing, just making the point)

I don't blame just her of course, I absolutely blame the governments that came after her as well (I think the current government is shaping up to be even worse than her), but that still does not change what she did. But if things are to be fixed then we do have to move on from fixating with her, I agree with you there, but the UK needs to learn from its mistakes, both from her time and the decades after, and change.

Of course failure or other governments doesn't change what she did. In fact, other Governments not changing some of what she did is why they have failed. I disagree that this Government is shaping up to be worse, it only feels that way because many or even most of the people being affected by this recession have lived through relatively good times up til now. many would argue the Government isn't doing enough. The big difference between Cameron and Thatcher is, she was prepared to sacrafice the popularity of both herself and the Conservatives for what she thought was right to turn the country around. Cameron always has one eye on the polls and is making popularise decisions to keep us from getting out of this recession. I think Thatcher would have made the last five years harder but we'd be we'll on our way out of it by now.

Well only time will tell if the current government does end up being worse, I hope it doesn't.

Me too, or we'll be having the same debate in a few decades when Cameron shuffles off this earth!

She did do those things. She created 37 enterprise zones at a cost of £300 million. These were designed to attract new businesses to derelict areas. She gave tax breaks to smaller businesses and introduced a lot of incentives to help people re-train, find new work, or start a business. And not just in the South East. There are many areas of Scotland which shifted their focus and are now really successful.
That's not attracting new industry, that's attracting entrepreneurship, when other countries were busy sorting out new car factories for areas affected by mine closures, Thatcher was encouraging small business? That doesn't seem to have worked out too well. Not everyone is as lucky in business as your father, especially not in Scotland, nor does everyone want to start their own business. The decline I witnessed in the area I grew up in London was not due to laziness, but there physically being no work after the Royal Docks were closed and no public transport linking the area to the outside world. The result was and still is an area which is physically cut off and overwhelmed by drug addicts.

It surprises me you actually think we had those tangible assets in the first place. Did you ever go in a train in the late 70s? Probably not because it never turned up. If you were lucky enough to find one running to your destination and could pay the ridiculous cost, you were treated to an old dirty carriage on a train which would likely break down on the poor infrastructure and be incredibly late. None of the public industries were running efficiently, hampered by massive inflation and poor currency exchange. The manufacturing industry was already declining, long before she came to power, as with everything else cheaper imports made it unviable. To me, she didn't sell off the silver, she sold our stake in a declining industry, before it became worthless to us. These assets would not still be on our books as they would be defunct.
I'm surprised you think we didn't have tangible assets. What do you think British Coal was? British Rail? British Steel? British Gas? The British Shipbuilders Corporation? British Airways? British Petroleum? Rolls Royce?

British Rail was completely self-sufficient in the 1970s and not privatised until the early 1990s, by which time BR was one of the most efficient railways in Europe. If you're suggesting we're better off with a privatised rail network, then I wonder what you think is more positive about it? I don't have the figures for cancelled trains in the 1970s or prices (and I doubt you do either), but the fact is, 20 years after the railways were sold off, the situation is worse, not better, for the rail user. Not only are we paying massively overpriced fares (take a look at this article: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21056703), but you're also more likely to be involved in a fatal accident thanks to the splintered nature of maintenance and safety.

Thatcher did not de-regulate the banking system. She deregulated the financial markets to help the London Stock Exchange compete on the world stage. She also helped smash the old boy network in the city which allowed those who previously could not, enter the trading floor. I struggle to see why this was a bad thing. What has gone on since has been because of a systematic refusal of the FSA (and similar regulatory bodies across the world) to do what they were set up to do.
It looks like you've just lifted this off Wikipedia, but there's more to it. She ushered in the era of highly questionable investment banking and her deregulation was what allowed foreign owners to own more than half of the City's assets. More selling off of family silver if you like. Her actions are what meant the FSA was necessary, ineffective or not.
That's like saying the bloke who invented the bomb is responsible for everyone killed by one. If her policies were so bad, so wrong, so worthless, so damaging, in the almost 30 years since she came out of power, they would have been changed. Blair and Brown could have introduced more regulation, but of course, they were in the pocket of the bankers too. So much so it were They who removed bank regulation which many would say was far more responsible for today's crisis than anything Thatcher did.
That's not a very good analogy, but one of the inventors of the atom bomb changed fields in disgust at what his research had led to after Hiroshima and Nagasaki, warning of the dangers of nuclear weapons until his death. So if he felt responsible for what his groundwork had enabled, why shouldn't Thatcher be afforded the same judgement?
I think this goes for both sides. Many of the myths surrounding Thatcher and the hatred that goes with them, I see being spouted by people too young to even know who she was or understand what she did. I think it comes down to the fact she did great for some and badly for others, just as every Prime Minister has always done. One of Thatcher's problems was in breaking the stranglehold of the unions, which I really do believe needed to happen, she created a very vocal opponent. She didn't remove worker's rights, she didn't disband the Unions, anyone who has ever worked in a Unionised industry is well aware they still have a fair amount of power and do protect their workers. What they have to do now, is work within a stricter set of rules. Under today's rules Scargill would never have been able to do what he did in calling a strike when a minority of his members voted for it. Is that such a bad thing? I'm not sure anyone, from any political angle, thinks the miner's strike was a good idea.
The biggest myth surrounding Thatcher is that she did anything good for the country in the long-term. Hopefully, as the dust from her horrendously inappropriate sendoff settles, people will start analysing her legacy properly instead of coming up with the ill-researched platitudes about "there was no alternative" and "she made Britain great again".

She did remove workers' rights in that she made it illegal to strike in certain circumstances via the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992, dramatically contributing to the fall in union membership and therefore affecting millions of workers' right to fair representation.

And yet still the people have been unwilling or unable to take advantage of that and turn the area around.
Why is that? Is it because people are lazy and don't want to get off their arses, or is it because charity alone is not enough? People generally want to work, but there has to be opportunity for employment for that to happen.

Inflation was in the 20s. That alone shows the economy wasn't doing well. Britain was dubbed the sick man of Europe. We were not doing well and one of the major reasons for this was the over inflated demands for pay from the Unions. When successive governments tried to bring this under control, the unions went on strike and cause major problems.
But still the government refrained from selling off schools, libraries, museums and hospitals. Britain is currently going through its first ever triple-dip recession. Britain has suffered some of the worst infrastructural damage in Europe over the past few years. Unemployment is at its highest for years, manufacturing output is down and people are being forced to move 200 miles away from their homes to find affordable housing. Britain is a laughing stock the world over for its ill-conceived neo liberalism which has proved to be worth nothing with its taxpayers blindly footing the bill and getting misty-eyed at Thatcher's legacy. I think that's a more accurate description of a country being "on its knees".

If half the mines were profit making, that leave half that weren't. It was never Thatcher's intention to close them all down, but she discovered she could not make the changes to the industry which were required because of the Unions. The Government did continue, and still does, to subsidise formerly public companies. It might not be wholly successful, it might not be absolutely the best way of doing it, but to pretend these industries were being well run and were a huge asset to the Nation is definitely re-writing history.
She made all the changes she wanted because she ultimately wielded the power, but essentially you're saying she closed down the profit-making mines to make a point. Way to reward good business.
If there is one thing Thatcher could never be accused of, it is "being personal" If she was against working people (and labour voters) why encourage them to do better through things like the Right to Buy? What Thatcher was against was those who looked to the Government to solve all their problems, or subsidise their existence. The very people the media try to get us to love to hate today.
Oh I think it's something she can be accused of with certainty. Right to buy created a generation of homeowners who evolved into NIMBYs who were only out for their own interests. Not only that, it has created the housing crisis we're seeing today where people can barely afford to rent and spend up to 80% of their wages on housing. I see you've also got something against what you probably perceive as lazy benefit scrounging layabouts who want everything served to them on a plate. I'm not trying to change anyone's point of view here, but I am interested in presenting the facts instead of poorly-researched buzzwords.

Yes, that is exactly what you are supposed to do. You get on out there and make things happen. My parents moved 600 miles to live with their parents, with 3 children, taking us all out of school. My father used his own skills to start his own business, after going abroad for 3 years to get us back on our feet. His business now has a turnover of almost a million pounds a year and employs a number of people. He has no qualifications, he didn't have rich parents behind him, he got off his arse and decided he wasn't going to sit about and wait for the Government to do it all for him. His business was undoubtedly helped in the early days by the Government incentives Thatcher offered. She didn't "get rid" of Social housing. We lived in a council house for 5 years in the mid 80s, they weren't nearly as hard to come by as they are now. Of course selling them off and not building more helped create that problem, but Major didn't build enough, Blair didn't build enough, Brown didn't build enough. Is it worse that she created a problem and perhaps didn't forsee the problem, or that successive governments have refused to solve it when it became apparent?
It's nice that it all worked out for your father, but for most people it didn't. You could also argue that having to move 600 miles with your school-age kids to start again is a pretty disproportionate requirement, but if it's resulted in your father making millions, I'm sure it's easy to forget the upheaval.

The reason social housing is hard to come by now is because of Thatcher's right to buy scheme and the councils' selling off of housing to make money. This isn't a thread about Major or Blair (by all means make one if their legacy is what interests you), but you can't excuse the woman's actions by arguing that no-one else undid them, so they can't be that bad. Unfortunately our political system allows regularly changing, majority governments who bring in sledgehammer reforms as quickly as possible before the opposition gets in again, only to see them tinkered with, added to and even reversed completely in a few years, sometimes to win political points. It's what we're seeing Gove doing to the education system now and it's what Thatcher did in the years she was allowed into office.

And this is where I have the problem with the whole rejoicing of her death. Is it changing anything? Will her politics be "burnt with her?" In three generations people still blame her for everything from the banking crisis to the weather, she is apparently responsible for absolutely everything that goes wrong today (and yet bizarrely not responsible at all for any of the good times we've had) If no-one fixed in in three generations, who will fix it in six. Will we have another thirty years, or sixty years, or ninety years where we blame Thatcher for everything? Her being dead changes nothing, and will change nothing, except for her family who I feel wholly sorry for, having to hear all about parties and celebrations.

As I've said before, by all means disagree with her politics, but rejoicing her death is in very poor tasted (not that I'm suggesting that's what you are doing, just making the point)
Like I said, I'm hoping her death encourages some discussion about her legacy and I was very pleased to see Cameron not having profited at all in the polls from the Tory pomp and circumstance that was orchestrated yesterday. She lived to a ripe old age, was able to share most of her life with her husband, sorted out her kids financially and given an almost royal sendoff? What's there to feel sorry for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->