Thatcher is dead

Nats, I agree mainly because everyone I know struggle to make ends meet, the country is in a financial mess and therefore £10m (or even £3m) is a silly amount of money to spend on something that is not needed, regardless of the politics, what she did or didnt do.

Yeah it is really just the worst possible time for it (not that it would have been right if the economy was better). Plus there will almost definitely be riots which will the whole thing cost even more.

I think alot of trouble will be caused at the funeral, if not very close by!

My husband is working it :/

Hope there's no aggro at the funeral. I expect there'll be enough police there to put the protesters off, they'll just riot elsewhere while the police are occupied at the funeral.

My husband is working it :/

Hope there's no aggro at the funeral. I expect there'll be enough police there to put the protesters off, they'll just riot elsewhere while the police are occupied at the funeral.

Yeah DH is only there on ceremonial duties and won't be armed. I'm guessing all the cameras will put people off.

I dont feel sad for her death. I never liked her or her policies and i am tired of the media spin on things. Its such hypocrisy

I think it's all ott an old lady has died I say respect that and her family, for me that has nothing to do with
politics!

Yeah the street parties are embarrassing, the song chart attempt is stupid but to be honest I can understand a peaceful protest against this ceremonial funeral. Far more Britons don't want it than do and since we're paying for it effectively why are we expected to put up and shut up? The economic disparity here is going off the chart. Classes of people are getting angrier and angrier at eachother everyday (mainly thanks to the tabloids adding fuel to the fire with 'extreme' stories and bias). How can we justify all this money being spent on a CEREMONY. It's not REAL. It's just a day of grandeur. Jesus wept how out of touch with reality can you get.

Sorry, that does sound a little heartless - but if she's looking down on all of us, surely she would be mortified at how angry people are getting about this ceremonial hogwash and would in hindsight rather a privately funded funeral surrounded by people who loved and respected her?

Yeah the street parties are embarrassing, the song chart attempt is stupid but to be honest I can understand a peaceful protest against this ceremonial funeral. Far more Britons don't want it than do and since we're paying for it effectively why are we expected to put up and shut up? The economic disparity here is going off the chart. Classes of people are getting angrier and angrier at eachother everyday (mainly thanks to the tabloids adding fuel to the fire with 'extreme' stories and bias). How can we justify all this money being spent on a CEREMONY. It's not REAL. It's just a day of grandeur. Jesus wept how out of touch with reality can you get.

Sorry, that does sound a little heartless - but if she's looking down on all of us, surely she would be mortified at how angry people are getting about this ceremonial hogwash and would in hindsight rather a privately funded funeral surrounded by people who loved and respected her?

This is exactly the points i was saying to my dh and i completely agree. Why did they not just have a quiet privately funded funeral? The government have created this monster. They would have had none of this if they had gone for that option. I dont agree with all this ceremony...and im tired of the press and others trying to justify the funeral expenses and defending all the 'wrongs' that she did when she was in power. I am one of the people that grew up with Thatcher sadly and feel having lived through it as a teenager have every right to comment unlike some that have no idea what it was like then.

This is exactly the points i was saying to my dh and i completely agree. Why did they not just have a quiet privately funded funeral? The government have created this monster. They would have had none of this if they had gone for that option. I dont agree with all this ceremony...and im tired of the press and others trying to justify the funeral expenses and defending all the 'wrongs' that she did when she was in power. I am one of the people that grew up with Thatcher sadly and feel having lived through it as a teenager have every right to comment unlike some that have no idea what it was like then.

I agree with what you say about the funeral but didnt these death parties start as soon as it was announced she died before any thing about the funeral was said

my hubby was a teenager during the Thatcher years and has totally different views, so just cos someone lived though it doesnt mean they see her as monster

She had no compassion for anyone. I live in Scotland. We were at the brunt of many of her decisions...but people do forget. I have a long memory of the tories and of specifically her.

About the death parties. I am not in agreement of anything like that but the government have underestimated the depth of feeling about her and have fuelled these through this big funeral imo

I agree with what you say about the funeral but didnt these death parties start as soon as it was announced she died before any thing about the funeral was said

my hubby was a teenager during the Thatcher years and has totally different views, so just cos someone lived though it doesnt mean they see her as monster

Yeah they did, they have no purpose IMO. Johnny Rotten spoken out against them which I thought was pretty cool :thumbup: but i'm sure more 'parties' will commence soon

About the death parties. I am not in agreement of anything like that but the government have underestimated the depth of feeling about her and have fuelled these through this big funeral imo

They have fuelled whatever will happen once her funeral is underway but I think these death parties were always going to happen, no matter what anyone said. Controversial political figures will always ignite peoples passions. Sadly, some people are using this build up anger in the most nonconstructive ways. Smashing shop windows will not hurt anyone but the shop owners and littering will only effect small creatures and minimum wage litter-pickers. Like I said, a peaceful, non-violent protest over her state-funded funeral would not be inappropriate in my books.

I was listening to Jeremy Vine today and they were talking about the BBC playing ding dong the witch is dead. I think the BBC should if its in the chart but it could have been done so much better
there were a lot of songs written to do with MT and the tories at the time, make one of them number one

I agree with the non-violent protest. I dont agree with the funeral but dont condone aggression/violence either. I think the song should be played if its in the chart. I think its cencorship even now they have decided to play a bit of it . Its ridiculous! If its in the charts then play it! Its a nonsense.

I think they should have got Pink Floyds the fletcher Memorial home in the charts instead

https://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/apr/12/margaret-thatcher-protests-weekend-thousands I'd hoped there would be something like this, but I'm afraid once you get "anti-capitalists" and "anarchists" involved things go downhill very quickly. I think a coalition of miners, shipbuilders, steelworkers, teachers, nurses and all the other professions the woman gleefully shat on during her time in office would be a better idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->