Thatcher is dead

Russell Brand just wrote a very good piece about it, I love this quote

"I suppose that if you opposed Thatcher's ideas it is likely because of their lack of compassion, which is really just a word for love. If love is something you cherish it is hard to glean much joy from death, even in one's enemies."

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/russell-brand/margaret-thatcher-our-unm_b_3046390.html?utm_hp_ref=tw

"I suppose that if you opposed Thatcher's ideas it is likely because of their lack of compassion, which is really just a word for love. If love is something you cherish it is hard to glean much joy from death, even in one's enemies."

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/russell-brand/margaret-thatcher-our-unm_b_3046390.html?utm_hp_ref=tw

I bloody love Russell Brand.

He put it perfectly x

The fact she devastated communities across England, privatised so much and generally made life harder for the poor makes me angry. It doesn't matter if you weren't even alive when it happened, I wasn't alive when the holocaust happened, I'm still angry about it and am very glad Hitler is dead.
Just because she's an old woman doesn't mean she should be excused!! Obviously what she did wasn't as terrible as what happened with Hitler but I don't see it as a sad day that she died, I'm not particularly happy she's dead either.

I think it depends on your political views, but she was accountable for some really negative things that happened and I don't think those things would have been so extreme if there was a more left wing government in power.

Just to add she also thought feminism was poison and said the same about multi-culturalism too...hmm.

The fact she devastated communities across England, privatised so much and generally made life harder for the poor makes me angry. It doesn't matter if you weren't even alive when it happened, I wasn't alive when the holocaust happened, I'm still angry about it and am very glad Hitler is dead.
Just because she's an old woman doesn't mean she should be excused!! Obviously what she did wasn't as terrible as what happened with Hitler but I don't see it as a sad day that she died, I'm not particularly happy she's dead either.

I think it depends on your political views, but she was accountable for some really negative things that happened and I don't think those things would have been so extreme if there was a more left wing government in power.

Just to add she also thought feminism was poison and said the same about multi-culturalism too...hmm.
I think that there should be some dignity in death and am not one to dance on graves, but the extremes she took the country to mean that she is fair game. I don't care if she's a mother, grandmother, great-grandmother or whatever. Her and her poisonous acolytes need to be discussed:thumbup:

I just can't compare her political decisions to the holocaust.

I think being discussed which is fine is different to people having parties. I dont agree with her politics and was a child when she was in power. I think she did do alot wrong for this country but having studied history at university i think alot is been ignored that went before. Its also been ignored that the labour government did not reverse alot of these actions. Of course its fine to have a view even if you were not alive at the time. Gosh i studied history and human rights and have strong views on many who i have not lived at same time. I grew up in a working class area and a working class family who struggled week to week with money. My parents liked magaret thatcher. I do not agree with their views just as many of my views differ from my parents but i would never celebrate a persons death. What i was talking about is the few people i know who rehash others views without actually researching and forming own view and then saying they are celebrating someones death. I am personally quite left wing in my views but never would i celebrate something such as death

When did I compare her political decisions to the holocaust? If you re-read my comment I said they were not as extreme? What I am trying to portray is that, if someone does things you do not agree with in their lifetime then when they die I am not suddenly going to feel remorse or sadness, my feelings haven't changed and my anger hasn't changed suddenly.
I do not see her as a mother or grandma but as a politician who took responsibility for her actions.

I don't think anybody here is expecting remorse or saddness for her death, even people who liked her may not feel sad, she lived a long life after all, but especially it is not expected from people who felt the negative effects of her stint in power. I think the issue is people rejoicing in her death, apart from it being in bad taste, it's just totally pointless, her death doesn't signify anything, it doesn't bring an end to anything, it changes nothing. By all means criticise to balance out what can easily become too positive in way of media attention in terms of 'legacy' but no one needs to rejoice in her death, it just reflect badly on them.

And also she did some pretty extreme things, like with the Falklands - so many people behind her disagreed with what she did and she didn't take advice and still did it - resulting in a lot of deaths. I know this has happened since with other wars but it doesn't change that. Her cabinet turned on her! That says a lot in politics I think.

I agree that celebrating her death and rejoicing is wrong and weird. I find that a bit strange too.

Someone on facebook explained that people are rejoicing in her death because her death brought a sense of closure for them.

Someone on facebook explained that people are rejoicing in her death because her death brought a sense of closure for them.

:dohh:

I can't get my head around this mentality.

Some people believe that with the Falklands for example she did the right thing though
Also as I have said before you can please everyone, I am pretty sure Gordon browns party turned on him too

I wish we had leant about this period in school, the only thing I leant about in the late 20 century was American history

When did I compare her political decisions to the holocaust? If you re-read my comment I said they were not as extreme? What I am trying to portray is that, if someone does things you do not agree with in their lifetime then when they die I am not suddenly going to feel remorse or sadness, my feelings haven't changed and my anger hasn't changed suddenly.
I do not see her as a mother or grandma but as a politician who took responsibility for her actions.

Not as extreme? They are so far away from the holocaust its unbelievable.
She didn't massacre millions of people. I understand the mentality of celebrating the death of Hitler and the Nazis but the death of Margeret Thatcher? Feel nothing, feel sadness, feel happiness, don't dance in the street and get pissed.
Not saying you personally have done that.

I think it's really sad people need her death to find closure, I mean really?? Her legacy (good or bad) is going to live on, her professional influence will forever be with us, the death of her physical body brings nothing. Most importantly it is diverting people from the real issues, people rejoicing in her death are wasting time and media space in doing so when they could be arguing why people shouldn't be rejoicing in her political career, it is reflecting badly on the anti-Thatcher argument which has very legitimate grounds, and is giving the Conservatives exactly what they want, make the haters look unreasonable, irrational, inhuman.

People need to separate the Prime Minister from the dead woman who had alzeimers and probably very little awareness in the end anyway.

As a commentator said today, Thatcher would love the death parties, it shows she won.

Some people believe that with the Falklands for example she did the right thing though
Also as I have said before you can please everyone, I am pretty sure Gordon browns party turned on him too

I wish we had leant about this period in school, the only thing I leant about in the late 20 century was American history

A lot of people believe she did the right thing with the Falklands, it's part of the reason a re-election was called in 1983 and won.

I did a degree in politics, apparently my lecturers were walking around all day with a smile on their face... They live and breathe politics so it's probably quite emotive for them seeing as they were there too! I think if I'd been personally affected more by what she did maybe I would have been happy? I don't know. I can see it would be closure?

How is it closure when the affects of her 'reign' are going to live on and on and on?

Not as extreme? They are so far away from the holocaust its unbelievable.
She didn't massacre millions of people. I understand the mentality of celebrating the death of Hitler and the Nazis but the death of Margeret Thatcher? Feel nothing, feel sadness, feel happiness, don't dance in the street and get pissed.
Not saying you personally have done that.

I know it's very far from the holocaust - I guess how you feel may depend on your political views as some people will think what she did was terrible and some think is was more acceptable. It's different for everyone.

Bahaha no street party for me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->