The 12 year old boy imprisoned for 25 years after being tried as an adult

xemmax

mummy in love
Reaction score
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...stepfather-retried-adult-longer-sentence.html

Apologies for the source.

This upsets me so much. I've not read too much into this yet but the thought of a child that young receiving a sentence that long appalls me. I accept that what he did was beyond comprehension but a sentence more than twice the length of his short lived life horrifies me.

Should children be tried as adults in circumstances such as these?

I dunno, stuff like this is hard. I can appreciate that he was young etc... but the fact of the matter after 25 years he can go and live his life. His friend's stepfather is dead and never coming back! :nope:

If it were say armed robbery, or maybe he shot someone but they did live I could potentially see it differently. But IMHO murder is murder. There should be no light sentences if you chose to take another person's life.

Even at 12 years of age you know it isn't right to kill someone. :neutral:

I think its stupid - he's going to be released at 37 and then what? He will have no clue how to cope and something spectacularly wrong could happen. I mean this in the least offensive way possible but American prisons are not exactly famed for their rehabilitation of criminals.

Additionally, HOW did a 12 and 15 year old get hold of a gun??

It's a brutal crime, and the Indiana law said they can be tried as adults as young as ten. Right or wrong, I don't know....but that is their law and the crime was severe enough.

It's true the human brain does not complete growing until 25, but that means that someone doesn't have the ability to see the scope of the consequences of their actions. However, you don't need a mature brain to know that if you pull a trigger, bad things happen. And if you do something bad, there are consequences. You may not know what those consequences are, but you know they exist.

There is probably more to this judgement, like premeditation. It's very unlikely it was a case of, oops, I accidentally pulled the trigger.

It seems the law in his state allows for children to be tried as adults in extreme circumstances, but I still think it's pretty screwed up.

What do they think will happen when he comes out? He'll have no idea how healthy relationships work and no idea how to cope in the outside world. He may well end up getting into even worse trouble, and it will be because he was institutionalised from the ages of 12-37.

Here's another link for a bit of variety https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/paul-henry-gingerich-jailed-25-1857163

I think its stupid - he's going to be released at 37 and then what? He will have no clue how to cope and something spectacularly wrong could happen. I mean this in the least offensive way possible but American prisons are not exactly famed for their rehabilitation of criminals.

And what are the laws in the UK, ? There is indeed rehabilitation for young offenders and yes I know this first hand . Do I think he should be imprisoned that long no, but don't judge what you really know nothing about..:flower:

I am getting really annoyed at people judging America and its inner workings by people who don't even live here..

No i dont think he should go to prison for that long as others have said, when he comes out he will have no idea how to live in the outside world. Please correct me if i'm wrong, but he didnt pull the trigger, right? He just went along with the plan, which is still very wrong but I think authorities should focus on a rehabilitation programme, offer psychological input and release him in his early 20s or earlier if they feel he is ready.

Thats insane. I agree that he won't know how to function in the real world when he comes out. The most likely outcome is that he'll end up in the world of crime once he comes out - how is that justice? Its pointless to be tough on crime if its just going to result in more crime which is how it ends up in America, you don't need to live there to realise that.

Here under 15s can't even be held criminally liable, instead they are dealt with by the child welfare system

Interesting that the source makes a lot of noise any theme James Bulgers killers so much as fart in the wrong place nowadays, the feeling is, they should have had a life sentence.

There is a law I don't know if it is everywhere but in New York, if someone kills someone and you are there you are just as guilty of murder and are charged that way. In most circumstances it is fair in others it is not fair as i think in this it isn't fair. This boy will be counseled in prison and I have a feeling he will not serve all those years. He will not be put in an adult prison , probably a youth one till 18 then transfered. I just still feel his sentence will be looked over and reduced, one day not sure when .. :flower:

And what are the laws in the UK, ? There is indeed rehabilitation for young offenders and yes I know this first hand . Do I think he should be imprisoned that long no, but don't judge what you really know nothing about..:flower:

I am getting really annoyed at people judging America and its inner workings by people who don't even live here..
The USA is renowned for contracting prison services out to private companies which are run for profit. Some judges have even been convicted for taking bribes to send juveniles to privately-run prisons: https://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/19/us/19brfs-Judge.html?ref=markaciavarella

You don't need to live in a country to pick up a newspaper, and the argument that people shouldn't criticise the workings of countries they don't live in is pretty weak.

Also, telling someone they obviously know "nothing about" a topic is kind of rude and not made any better with a smiley flowery emoticon.
Interesting that the source makes a lot of noise any theme James Bulgers killers so much as fart in the wrong place nowadays, the feeling is, they should have had a life sentence.
Exactly.

Annoying flower makes everything worse

The USA is renowned for contracting prison services out to private companies which are run for profit. Some judges have even been convicted for taking bribes to send juveniles to privately-run prisons: https://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/19/us/19brfs-Judge.html?ref=markaciavarella

You don't need to live in a country to pick up a newspaper, and the argument that people shouldn't criticise the workings of countries they don't live in is pretty weak.

Also, telling someone they obviously know "nothing about" a topic is kind of rude and not made any better with a smiley flowery emoticon.
Exactly.

My opinion and I am entitled to it.. I didn't say she knew nothing of the topic but not living here you don't know our way of life. And I put a smiley as my opinion not being sarcastic, stop quoting my posts and trying to make me look like I am doing something wrong, my opinion is just as important as yours............I have never been rude to anyone I always put a smiley to let people know just cause I disagree it doesn't mean I am upset with them . You don't even know me your being RUDE to presume I mean anything more in my post than i do............

I don't see it as annoying, I am genuine when I post that, look through my posts and you will see I am telling the truth. It doesn't make everything worse for me, cause I mean it in the nicest way possible.

Exactly.

My opinion and I am entitled to it.. I didn't say she knew nothing of the topic but not living here you don't know our way of life. And I put a smiley as my opinion not being sarcastic, stop quoting my posts and trying to make me look like I am doing something wrong, my opinion is just as important as yours............I have never been rude to anyone I always put a smiley to let people know just cause I disagree it doesn't mean I am upset with them . You don't even know me your being RUDE to presume I mean anything more in my post than i do............
It's pretty clear what you meant and I haven't put any words in anyone's mouth. You tried to shut down someone's argument by saying they don't live where you do so they don't know anything about the topic or your "way of life", so therefore shouldn't comment.

Exactly.

It's pretty clear what you meant and I haven't put any words in anyone's mouth. You tried to shut down someone's argument by saying they don't live where you do so they don't know anything about the topic or your "way of life", so therefore shouldn't comment.

I was NOT trying to shut her down I was giving my opinion , if you don't live here how can you go by a newspaper? There is bribery everywhere in the world ( Referring to your post) . I sit here as an American and listen to people criticize my country and our way of life to guns to this topic and so on and I can't defend it? And I never said for her NOT to comment I used the word JUDGING, read my post again...., again presuming what i meant.. I can't debate, but everyone else can and my post is ripped apart and you sit here and type what you think I mean from a comment to a flower smiley... please..

I personally think at the age of 12 you know killing someone is wrong. I dont think the judge was wrong maybe they should make sure that the child understood more, and contributing factors looked at. After working with children 4 years old plus they understand its wrong. A slap on the wrist for murdering someone isnt going to cut it; i studied human rights and believe in them. But i do think that we often take the to softly softly approach. If your child beat up another child you wouldent say oh but they didnt understand. I think this child needs pycological treatment due to fact he said he was just following his friend and shot someone.they planned out what they would do. I think to many are able to get away with awful crime citing maturity. Im interested in how people thought he should have been punished. How would you reabilitate him back in to society and do you tthink that murder should stay on his record. I dont really know much about the us juvinile prison systom. When i was in high school one of the boys in my class and another in year above broke in to an oaps home and raped and robbed this poor woman. We were 13 and i will say we all understood how wrong what he did was and were disgusted

I don't see it as annoying, I am genuine when I post that, look through my posts and you will see I am telling the truth. It doesn't make everything worse for me, cause I mean it in the nicest way possible.

I don't hold it against the people that use the annoying flower but it comes across (to me at least, though I'm sure I'm not the only one) as much more rude than not using it.

I don't hold it against the people that use the annoying flower but it comes across (to me at least, though I'm sure I'm not the only one) as much more rude than not using it.

I understand, but I can promise you when I use it I DON'T mean it that way..
I want to be friends with everyone, I don't want people to not like me. But I also feel I should have the right to post my opinion and not be shot down for it ( Not by you) Thanks.. Oops almost posted the Flower Smiley :thumbup: I'll just post that smiley instead ..XO

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->