The big O, Myths or Truths

AMB1216

Ethan's mommy
Reaction score
Okay so unfortunately there are so many myths and false ideas when it comes to conception that it gets pretty frustrating if you're like me and want to google anything in everything. The only thing I feel like everyone agrees on is when you have the best chance and that is near Ovulation.

That however is not the O I'm talking about here. I'm talking about Orgasm. My DH is so lovely and always lets me finish first he usually finishes pretty soon after me (within a few minutes) I of course got curious and wondered how me finishing first effected chances of conception. I know lots of people recommend finishing after your partner because there's a dip in your cervix which pulls up semen.

But there are so many different theory's about finishing before. I've read so many things saying that if a woman finishes before the man her cervix swells and makes it harder, if not impossible for the sperm to even get in. Others say that the CM that women release during the big O is harsh on the sperm and will make it harder for them. Some say that is only true for girl sperm and that it favors boys and that if you're trying for a girl you shouldn't Orgasm (which isn't fun)

Then on the other hand there have been women who say they always finished first and are pregnant/have children. So its hard to decipher whats true and whats not true.

Any thoughts or inputs?
Do you usually finish before or after your partner or even at all?
Have you ever gotten pregnant if you've finished before.

I always O before my OH and we have fallen pregnant 3 times. Twice resulted in a miscarriage and the other in my daughter. We were TTC with number one for 5 months and then fell pregnant with our daughter only 2 months after that. This time we were TTC for 7 months although I didn't have a period for 3 of those so technically we were only able to conceive for 4 months before falling pregnant.

OH has done a sperm sample once which came back "fertile" but with a lower than normal mobility (some were slower than normal others went in the wrong direction etc) but it doesn't seem to be making too many problems for us

I see by your ticker you've only just started TTC. I wouldn't worry about any of the myths and tricks to conceiving unless it's been about 6-12 months of trying with no answers or it can drive you barmy!

:flow:

Yes, this is our first cycle TTC #1. I'm very impatient and as I'm sure everyone TTC would like to conceive as soon as possible xD I also am naturally curious and like to know what can help conception as well as not help.
Thank you :)

Pregnancy myths are a pain.

My thoughts - unless there is a problem with you cycles (e.g abnormally long cycles, irregularity etc) then it's better to leave things alone. A good prenatal won't go amiss so you're already taking folic acid and vitamin D which is now also recommended in pregnancy. I think using too many things can knock a perfectly good cycle backwards for no reason if you see what I mean? Which is why for the first 6 months+ I would maybe chart and use OPK's so you get a better idea of when you O but as with everything what helps one person isn't to say it's a success for others so if there are no problems I wouldn't interfere :)

I'm one of the most impatient people I know. So much so I had 4 early scans with my DD a) cause of previous loss and b) because I couldn't hold out with the "not knowing" what was going on in there. I also had to wait 3 months without a period and all I could think about were 3 months TTC being wasted lol

:flow:

Those are all excellent questions and I'd love to know the answers! We've had a loss and now it's been 5 cycles and nothing. We've tried everything. Morning, everyday,every other day, me finishing and me saying don't be considerate, it's ok. This month I'm going to enjoy myself and not make it a job. Hopefully that'll work!

When I O, I'm one of the few women who actually "ejaculate" so I have to finish before OH or those powerful contractions will push everything out. Not 100% sure whether or not O helps, since I O several times when we BD and we've been TTC for 2 years.

I was looking into it and read a study that said it doesn't matter and that o after man doesn't increase upsuck of sperm and that is all a myth. It varies to whether i o before or after him but the way I see it is that at least some of the little guys are in there regardless and ur more likely to conceive if u enjoy ur sex therefore don't sweat the little things xx

I never O during sex :) And I have conceived before. My partner and I make my O part of foreplay then we BD :) Were both too tired after BD to try and get myself to manually O so we do it first :) Bit tmi. But I have conceived so i think its nothing to do with it :p

I think my plan since yes, I often O first but wouldn't want to miss any chance to possibly help conception is that I'll just have to have a second one! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->