The birth of Austin Anthony 01.08.2009

Morgan

Mummy to 2
Reaction score
Waters went at around 1am on Tuesday 28th July. Sat up in bed, heard a pop and felt a gush. Hubby didn't wake (how I do not know) so I got up, put a pad on and did a quick google to check. Satusfied myself it was my waters so woke hubby to tell him and rang the hospital. They wanted me to come in for a check and after a spell on the monitors an internal showed I had no waters pooling. They admitted me tho as they wanted to scan me to make sure. Around this time I started having some tightenings but they weren't too painful so I didn't pay much attention to them.

Scan the next day showed 4cm of water around Austin so it was obvious some had gone but not all so they decided to let me go home seeing as I had clinic the next day. Still felt like I was leaking somewhat so didn't feel confident without a pad on but I wasn't soaking them in less then an hour so they weren't worried. Discussed the options at clinic the next day, was sent for another scan on the Friday and if that showed that the waters had decreased then they would induce at 37 weeks. Scan showed the waters had increased by 2cm to 6cm so in all honesty I felt a bit silly for 'wasting' their time

Anyways since the Tuesday I had been having some tightenings and they were gradually getting worse in the night but would wear off in the day so I didn't think they could be contractions. Eventually bought a TENS machine on the Friday evening, wore it for a couple of hours then ripped it off, declared it useless and didn't bother with it again. Struggled through the Friday night timing my contractions and realised they were getting stronger and closer together. Rang the hospital at 7am Saturday morning and was told to come in again.

Was examined and my cervix was starting to dilate but I still had a long way to go so was sent to the ante-natal ward at 9am. This part was the worst for me, strapped to the monitors for two hours solid as Austin had decided it was a good idea to go to sleep so wasn't showing as very active. Had an injection of Meptid but all that really did was make me throw up and feel really drowsy, it did nothing for the contraction pain. Luckily I had a sympathetic MW who could see I clearly wasn't coping so reccomended I be sent to the labour ward for more pain relief. Am examination at this point showed I was 3cm dilated so off I was wheeled to a delivery suite

Got shown how to use the gas and air, boy that is fab stuff! I was having a love affair with the mouth piece by the time hubby had caught up with all my bags. Asked for an epidural at about 2.30pm, got one done pretty much straight away and all of a sudden it seemed so much more bearable. I always said I didn't want to have one but I am so glad I did. Got put on the syntocin drip as well to help my contractions along as they were every two minutes but not as strong as they could have been. Had another examination at around 4pmish and was 5cm dilated so settled myself in for the long haul

Now things get a bit hazy from now on as due to my waters going 4 days earlier I had picked up an infection and my temp rocketed to 40 degrees. I can say they definitely went as at all the examinations none of the MW's could feel any membranes around Austin's head. All I can really remember is throwing up lots

Had a bit of a sleep, was checked again at 8.30pm and told I was 10cm and ready to go. MW called in the consultant as my cervix had a tiny bit of a lip still but at 9pm they decided they were happy to go for delivery but in stirrups. Got talked through how to push and started pushing at 9.30pm and promptly threw up again after about 5 mins so I look really rough in the pics of me after delivery. Austin was born 20 minutes later and I was so in awe I forgot to look to see if I had a boy or girl. Hubby was blubbing as we looked and we both started crying even more when we saw we had a little boy.

He was taken away to be toweled down and he had a little bit of oxygen as he wasn't pinking up very fast. We knew he was ok tho as he was screaming his head off the whole time. Hubby helped to dress him then he was handed back to me for a cuddle whilst I rang my sister and Foxy to tell them the good news. Had a second degree tear that needed two stitches

As he was premature he was put in an incubator, I was hauled off for a much needed shower then we went to the transitional care unit. He came out of his incubator the next day and we've been trying to establish breast feeding ever since.

Up until this point I really can't complain about the Royal Shrewsbury despite my protests at being sent there in the first place but they were so busy I felt they were too quick to try to latch him on then give me a bottle for him if he wouldn't take to it. Felt it would be better if we could have some more one on one care so insisted they transfer me to the Princess Royal. They were fabulous there, so helpful even when he was screaming at 3am for no apparent reason

Am enjoying being back at home now. Austin is very chilled out during the day and we are taking it in turns at night to get up to see to him. Hubby is being an absolute star and I think he is surprising himself with how confident he is with Austin. He has probably done more nappy changes then me and loves giving him his bottles. The community MW's are happy with his progress and are supporting me with trying to crack the breast feeding

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->