The birth of my 10lb 8.5oz whopper

ONE.OF.MY.OWN

Reaction score
For those who have been asking, here is the story of the birth of my beautiful baby boy.
In brief, they knew from scans and fundal heights that he was going to be a big baby and at my last scan at 39/3 he was estimated to be 10lb.

My birth story was a bit of an ordeal but I can honestly say that as soon as all was done and dusted you definately do forget- before I tell you all I was ready for home the next day, baby was fine and literally 2 days later I was back to feeling my normal self. Please don't worry, you will cope and do what you need to do.

This is my first baby, and up until around 33 weeks i had a small bump and put on no weight elsewhere. From 33 weeks, my bump grew rapidly and I ended up with what I can only describe as a spacehopper on my front!!

I was due to be induced at 40/6 due to the estimated size. The consultant was happy do do nothing at all and let me go naturally but offered me the option of being induced at 40/6 which I agreed to. Prior to this he gave me a sweep at 40/2 (I was already 2-3cm at this point) which was accompanied with a show, but there was nothing else until I started with pains around lunchtime on Friday 20th May when I was 40/5. Thankfully I didn't need induced and this was it starting.

They got worse and more regular and I went to the Hospital at around 3pm and was placed on the monitor to have a closer look at what was happening. The contractions intensified and I was given 2 dihydracodeine to help with the pain. I wasnt examined vaginally to see what was going on yet.
By 5pm I was given gas and air which definately helped with the pain and I managed to go until 8pm before I needed something else at which point they said they would examine me- I was 8cm!!! In exmaining me, my waters broke and the midwife told me that she could feel that my baby had lots of hair!!!

The midwives said if I could manage without any more pain relief and I delivered in the next 1.5 hours, the baby would benefit from having nothing but TBH I needed something so I was given a shot of pethidine in my leg which again assisted with the pain. It made me drowsy. At around 9.30pm I felt the need to push and the midwives encouraged me to do so, so I began pushing.
After an hour of pushing, and not much progress, the midwives informed me that as it had been an hour they had to get a Doctor in to assist. She arrived and it seemed the baby was stuck and would not come any further. They tried ventouse with 3 different caps which kept coming off, so they resorted to forceps and in doing so my beautiful baby boy Rocco was born at 22.46 hours weighing 10lb8.5oz! They said straight away "Oooh its a big one"!!! After a few minutes I was told that I needed to go to theatre and they buzzed for the theatre team to come- I had had an episiotomy but had still had a fourth degree tear so this needed to be repaired. I had also lost a lot of blood. I was still completely 'with it' at this point and had no idea that things were so bad.

At this point, things started to go downhill and there was lots of rushing around trying to get intravenous needles into me, as it turned out my veins were shutting down due to the blood loss. The anaesthetist was called and eventually managed to get a vein to give me my general anaesthetic, and I was taken to threatre to be stitched.
I came back from threatre at around 2am having lost 4 litres of blood in total and was immediately given a blood transfusion. Despite what had gone on, I honestly did not feel that bad!!
I stayed awake for the remainded of the night chatting with the staff and my partner and holding my baby! Due to the ventouse, my son's head was badly swollen but this is normal and in the days following birth it reduced in size greatly.
I was able to get up and showered at 7am the following morning and was discharged first thing on Sunday Morning. The stitches were obviously uncomfortable but I would advise anyone who has them to keep mobile as much as possible, and take all the pain relief they offer.

And thats it in brief, he is now 3 weeks old and was weighed last Thursday and he was back up to 10lb 13oz after having lost a little bit after birth. His head is back to normal and I am absolutely fine. I have physio appts and things all lined up (routine with 3rd and 4th degree tears) but to my knowledge I am having no issues ATM with my pelvic floor but will go anyway.

Several people have queried why I wasnt induced sooner if they knew he was going to be so big, or why I wasn't given the option of an epidural or section but I wasn't and we are both fit and healthy so I am not bitter and true to the cliche, I would do it all again in a second.

Attachments

• Copeland-20110521-00282.jpg
    Copeland-20110521-00282.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 143
Oh my dayz. Thanks for posting. My baby is predicted to be 10lb plus based on multiple scans and I've begged for a c section but they won't give me one. I have been most worried about my babys safety during labour so it's reassuring to hear your baby is just fine. I'd quite like to make it through without the drama you had to go through but having read this I'm prepared for anything and you both sound fine and dandy now. Congratulations, you are so brave and your not so LO is gorgeous.

Well done and congratulations. Glad you are healing well.

I have to say well done and hes gorgeous. I wouldnt guess hes 10 + pounds from his adorable hospital picture. I have to say I am shocked you delivered him all natural. Well done. My biggest was 8 8 and I am under 5 feet tall and was thin very thin for being pregnant. My other babies weighed under 7 11 LOL

Wow,well done!Mine was 10lb5 and I thought I had been damaged for life lol couldnt walk properly for a week!
He is gorgeous :flower:

Well done and congrats. It is so nice to ehear a positive natural birth story. It definitely helps me to stick with my decision to have my baby at a midwife led until where there are no epidurals!

wow, well done u!! he is beautiful u must be very proud! glad u are feeling better and enjoy being a mummy :D xxx

great job! He is cute!!! I had a 10lbs 1 oz baby but never knew he was going to be that big. Don't think I could have done it knowing how big he was. I am super impressed that you were so brave to try and make it through!

Aaaahhhhhh he is sooooooo adorable! Congratulations x x x

he's half grown already! what a beautiful baby, congrats!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->