The Bradley Method

barefootnpreg

Reaction score
I've been struggling to decide on my birth plan basically since the day I found out I was pregnant. I've always wanted to do it as natural as possible, but of course once it became a reality I became really FREAKED out and pretty much ruled out the idea of a natural birth because of my fears.

Then my boss did me a huge favor and gave me a copy of the Bradley Method. Its really helped me come a long way with my fears and now I'm back to where I was originally before I got pregnant, believing that a natural birth with no medication is best.

However, Dr. Bradley makes it sound like the most peaceful and simple process in the world. My question to you ladies is : Is it really that peaceful and easy?

It was far from it to me but that is partly due to my anxiety riddled mind set. I'd love a more peaceful and relaxed birth x

I wouldn't say it's easy by any imagination, it's def called labour for good reason.. But I do believe a lot of it comes down to mental state and preparation. I had a truly awful labour/birth last time, but I was totally unprepared and felt out of control before I even got down to delivery suite.. BUT that's just me.. Prep, trust and knowledge could give you the natural birth you desire, I'm sure you'll be able to deal brilliantly with labour, especially with people who are supportive of your choices and decisions..
Best of luck xx

I found it for the most part peaceful. Right before I delivered I was pretty uncomfortable, but nothing too bad. I hadn't reached the point of classes, so not really sure what "method" I used, just did what felt right.

Its nothing to be afraid of! Its just really intense and challenging, like running a marathon or something. So try to prepare yourself instead of being fearful, be empowered and know you will be proud of yourself no matter what!

I didn't make it the whole way unmedicated, though I know I could have, but I got distracted by medical interference and then psyched myself out and got afraid. I was at 6 cm and I was managing the pain just fine, but I became terrified of how much worse it would get, which is really no way to think so I'm sad I let my fear take over - anticipation is always worse than the real thing.

Perhaps birth can be painless and orgasmic and peaceful for some women. But I think expecting that is also really deceving and could make you afraid when you realize "damn, this HURTS!"
I plan to do a home birth next time to avoid the distraction and annoyances of the hospital and these are some of the things I will tell myself and encourage others to remind me - you are strong, you are doing awesome! But I'm the kind of person who needs more "YOU CAN DO THIS" and less "imagine yourself as a blossoming flower!" ;)

Thank you ladies for your input. I like the marathon analogy; and I agree about the "blossoming like a flower" approach lol. Honestly I think I would hit someone if they tried to talk to me like that during childbirth. I would do better if someone was there reminding me I'm a bad ass bitch every step of the way lol.

I am definitely not going to rule out an epidural but I definitely want to prepare myself over the next few months to try to do it as natural as possible.

My labours were very serene and peaceful -- but they were also bloody hard work!! When my son was born the midwife told me it was the most serene delivery she'd ever attended.

I think a lot comes down to your mental state, and how you usually handle stress or pain. For me, I find it very frightening to be out of control, and I prepared by learning absolutely everything about the process that I possibly could. Feeling that I was in charge of the decision making made the whole thing very doable.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->