The breastfeeding vs. formula feeding debate really is a crock of s-you know what!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessicaR4bbit

Some woman, and manchild
Reaction score
Just to preface this, I am not intending to offend anybody at all with this post. I am not anti-debate but I am anti-flame so I would also not mind this turning into an honest discussion but let's just keep it that. Civility is a breath of fresh air online, right? :thumbup:

I just wanted to write this post because I have been doing lots of research about the real benefits of breastfeeding and the breastfeeding vs. formula feeding debate. What conclusions I have come to are based on real facts, not my opinion, but also a mix of common sense within an evolutionary context. I have forced myself to research this because I am seriously considering weaning my boy off breastmilk when he begins eating solids. My reasons (which I am not ashamed to admit nor desire to omit from this post) are that my weight gain is really getting me down, as it seems breastfeeding is working against my losing weight rather than the opposite, which is a so called 'benefit' factoid thrown around a lot these days.

What I am coming to find is that the facts about breastfeeding really are blown out of proportion. Majorly. I always thought that women/men who said this just hadn't done their research, and now in hindsight I am ashamed to admit this. In reality, the real benefits of breastfeeding are all contained within the first 6 months, or rather when baby begins to wean onto solids. Even then, these benefits are marginal and not foolproof 100% guaranteed benefits. Seriously. The main ones being: reduction in the risk of eczema. Reduction in the risk of gastrointestinal illnesses, of middle ear infections, asthma and leukemia. And the are all reductions in risks, of which the highest is around 72% for lower respiratory tract diseases. All of these risks peak in the early months, after 3 or 4 months their 'milk of choice' appears to have no affect on this whatsoever, and the only other benefit to breastfeeding till a child weans onto solids is that you decrease their risk of developing allergies and tolerances to certain foods, because the gastrointestinal tract seals (maturation of digestive system) and is able to filter out potential allergens from their diet. Any other supposed 'fact' regarding benefits of breastfeeding to infant including reduction in risk of diabetes, obesity, higher IQ, that is all bunk, and there is no direct correlation at all between these and whether or not a baby was breastfed.

The benefits to mother are a reduction in risk of breast cancer, of which the studies are divided on their findings. Some claim the risk is lowered by 4% each year you breastfeed. Others say breastfeeding for a year or more reduces it by around 20%. Then ovarian cancer, I could find no official percentage of risk reduction with a direct correlation to the incidence of ovarian cancer and breastfeeding, but there does seem to be a slight decrease in risk of getting this with any time period of breastfeeding. So you could breastfeed for a day, and no scientist could tell you that you were more at risk of ovarian cancer than the mother he saw that morning who was still breastfeeding her 2-year-old.

These are all risks. There are no facts obtained through peer reviewed, double blinded studies that show a direct correlation between breastfeeding and any other supposed benefit of breastfeeding. So WHY, oh WHY is there so much pressure for women to breastfeed? More than that, why is there so much pressure to breastfeed for at least 6 months, a year if you can make it, or more if you are supermum? Several health organizations seem to have gotten a memo from some militant breastfeeding mother and decided to disperse her facts to a worlwide audience with little to no consideration of the ramifications of placing so much pressure on mums when it is unneeded. Evolutionary speaking, breastmilk had to be able to provide a baby with all that it would need in order for it to survive with a mum who'd have limited dietary options (hence why all the nutrients are extracted from the blood... mum would be undernourished, baby would be thriving). If not for breastmilk, the baby would be fed by an animal, or sickly and fed via other means, or dead. Formula is not poison. Using formula is not the ringing of a death knell. Babies are perfectly fine and thrive just as well as any other breastfed baby does. Things like IQ, and adult weight, diabetes, are all down to environmental factors and lifestyle choices that a parent makes and instills into their child. If you breastfeed your baby for 3 years and then take him to McDonalds and let him/her lounge around watching TV rather than playing sports, that breastmilk isn't going to activate some magical milk dust that allows their bodies and genetics to operate differently than that baby who never suckled from mumma! How bloody ridiculous. As for IQ, this is largely genetics and upbringing home environment. Marge Simpson be damned, Lisa is intelligent because she is a fictional character and in reality, she would be just as dim as Bart himself.

No woman should ever, ever feel guilty for either choosing to or not being able to breastfeed their baby. Full. Stop. The fact that official guidelines are set out in a deceitful way that affects so many mothers' self-esteem and worth as a parent and that they still get away with doing this in spite of evidence based inquiry is a real injustice. We are living in the 21st century, in developed countries. The breastfeeding vs. formula debate is all but redundant. I just needed to get this out, because I am sick of feeling flashes of guilt for considering my health and wellbeing rather than considering breastfeeding my baby for X amount of time for no real rhyme or reason.

And lastly, I wanted to apologize to the world of formula feeding mums for ever doubting that formula was good for babies, and that women who choose to formula feed were making a bad choice on behalf of their children. Although breastfeeding is ideal for a certain few reasons (all of which don't impact past infancy anyway), formula feeding is just as good. Especially past a certain point, where the line between breastmilk and formula becomes so blurred that it would be like comparing Monet's 'Waterlilies' to an HD photo taken on my Nokia camera today. And that's stretching it.

Sorry to have rambled on for so long! If you want to add anything to what I have said feel free, or even feel free to disagree, or feel free to read and run, matters not. All that matters is the breastfeeding vs. formula feeding debate needs to bloody well end already! :dohh:

I think this is the best post I've ever read on BnB!

I respectfully disagree :) I come from a culture where BF is the overwhelming norm (unlike most here from the UK) and I can honestly say there was never any pressure to breastfeed. Why? Because formula was a medical alternative for medical reason, and that breast milk was normal baby food. There was no guilt or shame in using formula when medically necessary.

I respectfully disagree because I see that in certain cultures (ie West coast Canada where I am from, places like Norway, etc... places with astronomical success BF rates in 1st world conditions), the entire belief around breastfeeding as "the norm" and formula as an excellent medical alternative tends to eliminate any "guilt" that others may experience elsewhere.

Thank you for posting! There is nothing wrong with formula feeding, formula is chosen over breast for a variety of reasons. Mothers should not have to worry their baby is going to be sickly, have a low IQ, be obese, etc because of formula.

I respectfully disagree :) I come from a culture where BF is the overwhelming norm (unlike most here from the UK) and I can honestly say there was never any pressure to breastfeed. Why? Because formula was a medical alternative for medical reason, and that breast milk was normal baby food. There was no guilt or shame in using formula when medically necessary.

Ah, but herein lies the problem. "Unless medically necessary". It shouldn't have to reach the level of medical necessity for a woman to not feel guilt, or shame, or pressure of any kind for feeding her baby formula. It is a real lifesaver for those times when a baby is born prematurely for example, but formula shouldn't just be seen as a 'step-in' for breastmilk. Formula is just another feeding choice, and should be viewed as such. My post addresses the 'breast is best' mentality that is prevalent in your culture as well as mine, as well as Norways, you get the idea. Breast is best, in so far as purified water is best. But flavoured water and fruit juice are perfectly viable alternatives. If you catch my drift.

I respectfully disagree because I see that in certain cultures (ie West coast Canada where I am from, places like Norway, etc... places with astronomical success BF rates in 1st world conditions), the entire belief around breastfeeding as "the norm" and formula as an excellent medical alternative tends to eliminate any "guilt" that others may experience elsewhere.

There is a lot of guilt associated with formula feeding, perhaps not as much where you hail from, but I wasn't just talking about Canada in my OP. The WHO has breastfeeding guidelines and 'facts' that are touted universally. It is not right that they state bogus facts in relation to breastfeeding and this is where much of the guilt comes from. If a mother fails at breastfeeding, every piece of literature she reads tells her that her child is now more likely to become obese, diabetic, have a lower IQ, be more susceptible to this and this disease, this and this condition, be sickly, and just generally not as good as their breastfed counterparts. Which is why I made this post. That is simply not true, and it shouldn't be right for official bodies to state otherwise unless they are actually able to back up their statements with solid scientific fact. There is nothing wrong with demanding intellectual honesty - especially when it affects the lives of many women, whether you happen to be one, or your neighbour happens to be one, or not :)

All I have to say is I bottle fed both my boys bc thats what I felt most comfortable doing. I was told that they would get sick often bc they werent receiving my immunity etc etc etc. My boys have AMAZING immune systems and are rarely sick, they exceed developmental milestones and are of normal weight. However, my friends that exclusively BF have children with terrible immunity and are often sick. Now it could be genetics that determine immunity but dont say that its bs a woman breastfeeds or not. I do NOT feel guilty for bottle feeding. I do give my friends credit for breastfeeding but it simply isnt for me and i hate how they try to make women feel guilty for it!

All that matters is the breastfeeding vs. formula feeding debate needs to bloody well end already! :dohh:

Then why start another thread which will more than likely turn into a debate??

That last line was a little tongue-in-cheek, hence the d'oh smiley... but really, my reasons for starting the thread were mostly to clear my conscience, apologize to FF mums and spread awareness. I don't care if it becomes a debate or not, others might, that's fine. I've never been one to shy away from debates anyway. I know sites like this like to lock that sh*t down to keep the place as peaceful as possible though. Cest la vie.

Breastfeeding is milk produced by humans for humans, formula uses cows milk as a base, made by cows, for cows, with synthetic vitamins added later. Thats why formula needs a higher level of iron than breastmilk because the iron in breastmilk is more easily absorbed. Having said that, formula isn't poison, its a viable alternative but breastmilk is recommended by the WHO because it is better for a baby. If breastmilk is not an option then a mother should not feel guilty for using breastmilk, however not promoting the better option purely because it might make some women feel guilty because they dont want to (this doesnt include the ones who cant) is misguided. Its like me not telling you to exercise because you wont die if you dont and you may feel guilty that you dont exercise.

My sister formula fed and her boys are healthy and happy but that hasnt stopped me from BF.

Breastfeeding is milk produced by humans for humans, formula uses cows milk as a base, made by cows, for cows, with synthetic vitamins added later. Thats why formula needs a higher level of iron than breastmilk because the iron in breastmilk is more easily absorbed. Having said that, formula isn't poison, its a viable alternative but breastmilk is recommended by the WHO because it is better for a baby. If breastmilk is not an option then a mother should not feel guilty for using breastmilk, however not promoting the better option purely because it might make some women feel guilty because they dont want to (this doesnt include the ones who cant) is misguided. Its like me not telling you to exercise because you wont die if you dont and you may feel guilty that you dont exercise.

My sister formula fed and her boys are healthy and happy but that hasnt stopped me from BF.

Agree with everything you say, and I do agree that breastfeeding should be promoted as the best option for feeding a baby, but up to a certain point. There is no reason to recommend at least a year. Or at least 2 years. Or to recommend extended breastfeeding as the preferred feeding method, is what I am saying. I am all for promoting breastfeeding, but I am also all for honest promotion, which is not what is happening right now. And it seems anybody who points out that the so called facts and benefits of breastfeeding listed by official bodies are exaggerated, are viewed as somehow anti-breastfeeding or pro-formula feeding, which isn't the case (at least for me).

No one should stop anyone from feeding their baby however they want to. This is the crux of my OP. Regardless, thank you for you reply :)

Agree with everything you say, and I do agree that breastfeeding should be promoted as the best option for feeding a baby, but up to a certain point. The is no reason to recommend at least a year. Or at least 2 years. Or to recommend extended breastfeeding as the preferred feeding method, is what I am saying. I am all for promoting breastfeeding, but I am also all for honest promotion, which is not what is happening right now. And it seems anybody who points out that the so called facts and benefits of breastfeeding listed by official bodies are exaggerated, are viewed as somehow anti-breastfeeding or pro-formula feeding, which isn't the case (at least for me).

No one should stop anyone from feeding their baby however they want to. This is the crux of my OP. Regardless, thank you for you reply :)

Thankyou for your pleasant reply, I agree that all the facts should be out there for everyone to make their own, informed decision.

Couldn't agree more, its a personal decision that you can only make for yourself and your baby!

Ah, but herein lies the problem. "Unless medically necessary". It shouldn't have to reach the level of medical necessity for a woman to not feel guilt, or shame, or pressure of any kind for feeding her baby formula. It is a real lifesaver for those times when a baby is born prematurely for example, but formula shouldn't just be seen as a 'step-in' for breastmilk. Formula is just another feeding choice, and should be viewed as such. My post addresses the 'breast is best' mentality that is prevalent in your culture as well as mine, as well as Norways, you get the idea. Breast is best, in so far as purified water is best. But flavoured water and fruit juice are perfectly viable alternatives. If you catch my drift.

There is the difference of opinion which many divide on and certainly can't be solved in one thread. Most people on this planet consider breastfeeding normal, not best or another option. Either by necessity (let's say, rural India) or for health reasons (Norway, regions of Canada). There is no "breast is best" in that culture, which is my point. I've never heard that phrase until BnB. There is no such posters or words spoken at the birthing centre or hospital. Breastfeeding is just the normal method. It is like how when one speaks of childbirth, they are implying a vaginal delivery. There is no shame or guilt in cesarean section as that is a result of a medical necessity. There is no "vaginal is best" posters either.

I wouldn't walk into a birth centre and ask "can I get a C-section because I feel like it". And I wouldn't walk into a hospital or birth centre and say "I'm using formula". That is a ..."we'll cross that bridge if we get there" question.

I guess what I am trying to say, is that breastfeeding "pressure and guilt" seems to come from viewing formula as an equal feeding choice, rather than judgment by others. In conditions where it is NOT viewed as an equal feeding choice, rather a medical choice, that pressure and guilt is far less prevalent.

There is a lot of guilt associated with formula feeding, perhaps not as much where you hail from, but I wasn't just talking about Canada in my OP. The WHO has breastfeeding guidelines and 'facts' that are touted universally. It is not right that they state bogus facts in relation to breastfeeding and this is where much of the guilt comes from. If a mother fails at breastfeeding, every piece of literature she reads tells her that her child is now more likely to become obese, diabetic, have a lower IQ, be more susceptible to this and this disease, this and this condition, be sickly, and just generally not as good as their breastfed counterparts. Which is why I made this post. That is simply not true, and it shouldn't be right for official bodies to state otherwise unless they are actually able to back up their statements with solid scientific fact. There is nothing wrong with demanding intellectual honesty - especially when it affects the lives of many women, whether you happen to be one, or your neighbour happens to be one, or not :)

I certainly can't argue that scientific statements should come without hyperbole or even slight exaggeration :) Unfortunately, I do not see how a double blind study could EVER be produced for this particular issue for ethical reasons, so correlation rather than absolute causation is really the best it gets (and things do change as time goes on).

I know that N=2 is hardly worthy, but I've only been breastfeeding for 6 weeks. My first was on formula for over a year. While it was sadness that I & health care providers found it necessary to formula feed him for his medical reasons beyond my control, I don't feel guilt for it because it is what it is. And I don't feel guilt that I honestly feel his risks for certain things (obesity, diabetes, illness) are likely slightly increased as well, because formula was the medicine that I had for him.

It's been almost 2 years since I've had to formula feed and I must say that time away from the experience can help one reflect on the reality of the "risks and rewards" of using formula feeding (the most upset mothers are the ones with the youngest babies) - from a more analytical standpoint rather than an emotional one.

But even though I disagree, I really do like your post :flower: Because it is intelligent and well thought out.

Breast is best. I haven't done the research to say whether or not the benefits you listed are exaggerated or not but I know for a fact it's better, if not just because it's better for the environment. Breastfeeding requires no water, tins for holding formula, cost for manufacturing and transporting it, nothing.*

Breast milk is a live food. It contains living organisms that have immunities for the baby and it changes to create different immunities for whatever germs or bacteria is in the air. Formula cannot emulate that.*

Also, if even some of those risks are slightly true, about preventing obesity and higher IQ that's still more desirable to me than formula.*

This all being said, formula is an amazing invention that wonderfully sustains and feeds babies when breastfeeding isn't an option. I would never judge a woman who feeds her baby formula, how ridiculous. I can't imagine being constantly told you are less of a mum because you weren't able to breastfeed, that's awful and shouldn't happen. But after saying all that, I still believe breast is the optimal choice if possible and if for whatever reason isn't working then by all means feed your baby formula.*

Breastfeeding is NORMAL and should be viewed as such, not a CHOICE.*

I disagree, I think it is a choice. I also don't agree that its best from personal experience. Again, I think its whatever works for the mother and family.

I disagree, I think it is a choice. I also don't agree that its best from personal experience. Again, I think its whatever works for the mother and family.

When I say it's not a choice I'm saying that your milk comes in regardless if you breastfeed and your baby has a rooting reflex where they will automatically seek out the breast. That's why we have laws that protect women's rights to breastfeed in public or to pump at the work place. Because otherwise our employers could say, 'I don't have to supply you with a space to pump because you chose to breastfeed.'*
Get me?

And it is best. It might not always be best in certain individual situations depending on different circumstances but that doesn't change the fact that it is still the best way to feed your baby (i.e there is no better alternative). Formula is an alternative for sure but it still can't physiologically do all the things breastfeeding can.*

We are all entitled to our opinions but I truly believe formula is just as good. Like I said I have personal experience with this. I think women should have every right to breastfeed. However I don't agree that its best as formula is just as good. It's a personal choice and I think it should be left a personal choice. To say one thing is better then another simply isn't fair. Especially when in my experience myself, my sisters and my own children don't have any of the "side effects" that are caused by not breastfeeding. So as I said my personal experience drives my decision and choice NOT to breastfeed. Again, its an individual decision and simply not the one for me!

Side effects may not show up for decades. My older brother was FF (I asked my mom why, as I was BF, and she said in 1972 ff was the popular thing to do), and it wasn't until his thirties that he developed severe food allergies (gluten, egg and sugar). I am NOT saying this was caused by ff, but that I have no food allergies and was bf might mean something. We'll never know.

I can't point at formula and say, "oooooh, that's the culprit!" But it's a possibility.

So WHY, oh WHY is there so much pressure for women to breastfeed? More than that, why is there so much pressure to breastfeed for at least 6 months, a year if you can make it, or more if you are supermum? Several health organizations seem to have gotten a memo from some militant breastfeeding mother and decided to disperse her facts to a worlwide audience with little to no consideration of the ramifications of placing so much pressure on mums when it is unneeded.
I do not intend to cast aspersions on the depth of your research, as I freely admit I have not personally done a huge amount of investigation into breastfeeding - it's simply the most convenient, natural, and to my mind beneficial way to feed my baby - but I guess this is the key question that needs to be answered, not just asked.

Why would so many health organisations around the world strongly recommend breastfeeding if there were not substantial research to indicate benefit?

I mean, I am sure you are being facetious about the memo from the militant breastfeeder. You do not actually think that the leading health organisations in the world have been less thorough in their research and consideration of breastfeeding recommendations than you have been. So... why have they reached different conclusions, and chosen to strenuously emphasise the 'breast is best' message? I doubt it is because they are lazy, poorly informed or being paid off by some kind of corporate interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"