The Business of Being Born..

runnergrl

Mom to 2 boys and 1 angel
Reaction score
have any of you seen this movie?? It is FANTASTIC! I watched it this morning and am so convinced that I want to do either a home birth or at the very most, have my baby at a birthing center with a midwife.

Very interesting and informative. I hope to convince DH to watch it with me when we are TTC..

opinions?

Yes, OH bought it for me for my birthday and we watched it together last week. It was so amazing and inspiring. I wish that I felt there was more openness of homebirthing around here, but there really isn't. Women shouldn't have to go out of there way to have the type of birth they want and I learned so much about the way that the hospitals work.

I loved it and OH actually enjoyed it as well..

I have watched it about 5 times now. I watched it yesterday with my mum because she has always been heavily anti-homebirth and saying it is really dangerous and ill-informed things. I figured out she actually hasn't seen a homebirth or heard much about it. All of the stuff she did think were assumptions.

I decided to watch it with her before I got pregnant so that I could kill off any assumptions and when I did tell her my plan of a homebirth she wouldn't freak out.

A great movie that goes great after watching BOBB is What Babies Want-An Exploration Into The Consciousness Of Infants. It is amazing and so inspiring!

I've never heard of this BOBB thing... Gonna have a look on amazon!

Lol! BOBB is Business of being born! I just shortened it.

Yes its like a documentary about the way that the US makes giving birth into a business, rather than a natural part of life. It's so interesting - especially if you live in the US!

The US sure know how to scam preggo ladys and insurance company out of money and push them into doing things they didn't intend.

OOoo sounds interesting, pity I don;t live in the US so doesnt really apply to me, but even here I would like a home birth or a waterbirth at home..

:blush: That would be my dream but I don't think DF would ever allow it.

I'd love to see it, heard so much about it. I had a homebirth with my 2nd and plan to have another one some day.

It is good. I would most definitely recommend a midwife. In the UK midwifes are your health care providers even if you are high risk. Its pretty much managed by midwifes with back up from doctors if required, but if its not you dont see one ever. I am from the UK so this is normal to me, but when I moved to Canada having a midwife is still considered to be not the thing to do, when I told everyone at work i was having a midwife (I am a nurse) all the docs and nurses told me thats not the right thing to do, but the care was still awesome. You are treated as an individual, 1 hour per appointment, she is there with you all the time and she will see you lots after the birth too at home for continuity. I had my baby at a hospital but laboured at home, she came to my house to check me to see how far dilated etc i was, and i phoned here when i was ready to go to the hosp and she met us there.

I encourage all Canadians and Americans to please consider midwifes as your carers. If people dont start using them this fantastic resource and service is just going to be taken away. Right now they are thinking about not funding the midwifery programme in BC, i am outraged. Its so sad when the care is utterly fantastic and so much more satisfying for all involved.

OOoo sounds interesting, pity I don;t live in the US so doesnt really apply to me, but even here I would like a home birth or a waterbirth at home..

:blush: That would be my dream but I don't think DF would ever allow it.

I live in Australia and it still applies to me. Most of the midwives (not all, some of them are angels!) are more like MEDwives. They are now being taught to listen to the attending doctor for decisions and still follow hospital proticol rather than what they think the woman needs, which is what a midwives job is. It is the same in many countries, though. It is especially good for Australia because right now independant midwives can't gain insurance because of the business that is birth.

I watched the show and actually enjoyed it. I will like to give birth at a birthing center with a midwife and a doula. I am very lucky that DH is also on board with this idea.

I think people are slowly coming round to the idea of midwifes and doulas and wanting more personalised individualised care.

my OH surprisingly LOVES the idea... he thinks hospitals are so overwhelming and would like to avoid them as much as possible, so this is definately the best route for us when the time comes around..

Same with dp. I told him one day "when we have a baby we're going to have it at home" and he thought it was a great idea. I didn't really ask him and he knew that even though we were in this together, I still would have made that choice without him. That was before I showed him the research I had done about it all and now I think he would be asking me if we could do that if I decided another route. He also trusts me to be able to go through with it because I have done a bit of work us a doula and have never once complained about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->