The Children's Literature Review aka Kiddy Litter Picks and Pans

i was wondering where i'd heard the name charley harper. i bought fin a shape sorter a coupe of weeks ago which is by charley harper. i bought it from the local sculpture park where i got my mouk book! it's lovely.l

Oh that sounds amazing! Would it be on his website, do you think? I'm going to check!

i can't think if shape sorters the right description. it's one of those wooden boards with cut out shapes that kids slot back in?

This might be slightly off thread topic, but is anyone planning to try to teach their child to read early? As in pre-kindergarten? Why or why not?

I hope to. I was a self taught reader at 3. :D Not to brag or anything :rofl:

I have no idea :rofl: I just remember I sat down with my Grandma with Sammy the Seal and I said I am going to read you this, and she said You don't know how to read, and I said Yes I do, and I read it to her. :rofl:

https://for-sale-again.net/images/Books-Kids/Sammy%20The%20Seal.bmp

Being dyslexic reading doesn't come naturelly to me and with chances being that Isla is too I'd like to get her familiar with reading as soon as possible so she doesn't get left behind.

Found a couple of great books in the library today:

Little Mouses Book of Fears - such an unusual layout to this book, and it's not a story as such but more of an interactive journal of the mouses fears. Great illustrations and ideas.

Don't let the pigeon drive the bus - beautifully simple and really quite funny, definately recommend you have a look at it.

This might be slightly off thread topic, but is anyone planning to try to teach their child to read early? As in pre-kindergarten? Why or why not?

I would really like to. And I want a foreign language tutor whilst he's in first school too. Education is something we are SO passionate about. My Mum and Dad have just bought a house in France so we will be taking him out there at least once every 2 months so it's 2nd nature to him.

And Wendino, that's amazing! xx

Deeper Blue - I've seen one of those Pigeon books. I can't remember which, but it was very funny.
And, as some people may remember from this thread that I posted last summer, I have a soft spot for pigeons!

https://www.babyandbump.com/pregnancy-club/44236-ranting-goes-too-far.html

As for the dyslexia stuff - I think it's a brilliant strategy to get your LO seeing books as a source of pleasure and interest. That will be a big incentive to work through the difficulties.

Alio - do you have immersion schools in the UK? We have both french and spanish immersion programs in the public school system in Calgary. I think we will enroll Simon in French Immersion. My husband's father is French Canadian and he speaks a lovely joual, but my husband doesn't speak a word of French. Tragic! I intend to remedy that with this upcoming generation, I can tell you! I studied a lot of French in school, but I'm a little shy of true fluency. I'm speaking lots of it to Simon, though.

So I was naughty today and bought some books. I found a treasury of a Canadian author who has done a series of books: "If You Give a Pig a Pancake", "If You Give a Moose a Muffin", "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie", etc. They are really funny little stories about overexcited animals who start with a pancake, etc and then need syrup, then you have to go find syrup, then they want something else, etc. My husband thought they were really funny, so I bought the book (only $15 for four stories and a cd in a nice hardcover edition) as a Father's Day present for him. While I was in the book store, I found a book that made me pee my pants laughing: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Some guy wrote about feisty Elizabeth Bennett and her battle with zombies in the village of Meryton. Totally nuts.
I am a huge Jane Austen fan and my husband loves all things zombie, so I had to get him this book. Maybe now he'll sit through all 300 hours of BBC Austen movies with me! :)

I saw that Pride and Prejudice and Zombies at Indigo and almost peed my pants.

I also saw the If You Give A... books. :) I think I may buy some of the Little Critter ones, I always loved those.

no sarah, we don't have anything like that over here.. that's why i'd have to do it privately... ah well. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->