The coil?

odd_socks

Long Term WTT
Reaction score
Long time no post! lol

I have been advised to have a (hormone) coil fitted. I am all booked inand now unsure it's what I want to do.
I have been on the POP (progesterone only pill) and bled constantly for 8 months. I was told I would probably bleed with the implant so this is the only option. But I am terrified and I've read a lot of horror stories of dizziness, throwing up, pains and discomfort of having it fitted. Does anything have an experience with the coil?

Thanks in advance

Hi there.

I got my coil fitted last summer, and it wasn't the most pleasant experience, but worth it for me. A friend of mine got it a couple months after me, and hers was a dream in comparison. For me, the insertion was very painful. They sent for a nurse to come squeeze my hand and talk to me during and after - that was really sweet and didn't help the pain much but did get me through it! I had horrible cramps following and had to get a cab home since taking the train was simply impossible in my state. I popped some painkillers and soothed the pain with a hot-water bottle and it eventually settled. Unfortunately, intercourse also prompted cramps for a few weeks, but that went away as well. By about 2 months in, all was fine & I absolutely love the freedom and security. Totally worth it for me.

As I said, a friend who went to the same doctor after me had zero problems - she said one slight crampy feeling on insertion and that was it. Lucky her! You may be lucky too. Either way, I guess think about the benefits it might have for you over other options. If it solves other issues, the possible discomfort may be negated in the end.

I had it inserted a few years ago and I it was done wrong for the shape of my uterus or something because it actually fell out the same evening. And it can't be re-inserted because it's not sterilized so I had to throw it out! Luckily with insurance it was only 75$, but it was still a bummer to waste even that, and I didn't want to risk it again so I never gave it another try.

A couple of people I know have it and following a short period of adjustment where there can be some cramping and irregular bleeding, they seem to love it. No more periods and the peace of mind of knowing they are protected from pregnancy without having to remember to take pills and all that.

I had mine 6 weeks ago and honestly I hate it. It hurt to have put in, and I've bled every single day for six weeks, and cramped most of those too. I had northisterone to stop the bleeding, but all it did was alter it from heavy to spotting and as soon as I stopped that I started back up really heavy. The doctor said to give it 3-6 months to work though. Right now though it's vile. You can't use tampons either until it's been checked after six weeks, but my doctor can't get me in to check in until another three weeks time. My skins worse too and I keep getting bad headaches. I'd avoid it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->